Don't be a cliche, lose the weight

Options
I used to really feel for those people that said "I've tried everything but nothing worked." At this point I don't think those people (me included) really tried anything for more than a few days or weeks. They probably also didn't keep track of what they ate or if they exercised (including me). It's pretty easy to forget the little things or big things you've eaten or drank during the day.

I'm now convinced that calorie restriction is the ONLY way to really lose weight. It's got the perks of the popular diets "eat anything you want!" you just have to look at those extra calories (over your daily goal) as a loan that you took out from a bank that you need to pay back that day or in the next couple days. If you eat a box of donuts, don't give up. Take the bullet and figure out how many calories it was and plan your meals for the rest of the week to make up for your slip.

Studies show that food activates the same chemical pathways as many drugs. That's why the day after the Snickers we have a strange urge for more junk food. Quick addiction huh? It goes the opposite way too though. Once you start eating a little healthier you crave healthy food. If you do have another Snickers you feel like s%*&t and you go back to the good life.

Lastly lets not let our bullshi$t marketing here in the US trick us into really thinking that green tea extract or any of that bunk is going to do the job for us. Anything "light" is molarchy. I lived in Spain for 2 years. Nothing is "light" there and everyone is skinny. That's because their biggest meal of the day is Lunch, they don't drink 32oz starbucks sugar highs, and they think of desert in a different way. Desert= a piece of fruit or yogurt. They also walk whenever something is walkable. They don't do any crazy workouts it's honestly just portion control and a little walking.

Junk is junk, eat the real thing if you're going to eat it but realize that Oreos and ice cream are not everyday foods. When we're fat we think we deserve a desert everyday just for making it through. Not so. Get used to drinking water instead of sweetened whatever get used to lettuce instead of white bread. You'll get over the "somethings missing" feeling within a week.

It's literally impossible not to lose weight if you are scientific about it. It's not as complicated as companies and authors want to make us think. Eat less, exercise more, and record it all.
:smile:

Replies

• Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post. Thank you.

I feel the same. When you read in articles things like " I tried this diet and that diet, nothing worked. " etc, coming from a 33 stone person you think...really? I believe you TRIED it, but surely not for more than a couple of days?

I also tried a fair few diets myself and didn't decide they " Didn't work " but that I just couldn't stick to them. Mood swings would arrive within hours of the diet beginning.

Since I have started counting calories I have lost more weight than I ever did dieting OR starving. Oh, and quicker, too!

Now that I know this is the key to keeping myself in check, I will never forget how to keep myself at where I want to be. Whether that will always be the case who knows, but I know what to do if I ever slip.
  • BryanBeLite
    BryanBeLite Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you Gee, I'd just seen a commercial that set me off. In the US we're obsessed with weight but we overcomplicate it and remain fat. We reaaaaally want a pill, superfood, gizmo, diet and/or exercise machine that will be life changing. Every 4th commercial takes advantage of that obsession with weight loss by saying that they have the only answer for weight loss. Weight loss books are often #1 sellers. We look at celebrities secret workouts and then think we can't get fit because we don't have enough money for a personal trainer and nutritionist. If we don't have immediate success we decide it's impossible.

I think a new, slightly unorthodox way of losing weight could just be giving all those predatory writers and companies an F you by losing weight using common sense. The really cool thing about this website is being able to record it all and do the simple math. The concept is simple it's overcoming your addiction and emotional attachments to food that is hard. If anything people should be writing on those two psychological factors.