What foods keep you fuller for longer?

Options
2»

Replies

• unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've ever focused on my macros (carbs, protein, fat etc) and I find the more protein I eat in my diet, the less hungry I am. For me it's the key. I now also have an oat-based breakfast, after eating toast etc forever and find that where I was craving more food by 10:30am, I am these days unlikely to be hungry until at least lunchtime, and I don't feel that mid-morning slump.
  • pkul85
    pkul85 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    whole wheat bread + 3 oz chicken + 1 huge tablespoon of guac + 1 huge tablespoon of pico de gallo-- make a sandwich and it should keep you full 3 hrs :) ( well it keeps me full that long)
  • taniiagirl
    taniiagirl Posts: 47
    Options
    Toast always keeps me full
  • RJay64
    RJay64 Posts: 135
    Options
    One large banana painted end to end and all around with peanut butter sates my hunger for 4 to 6 hours.
    Apples satisfy for hours also, but I have to eat two if I want it to last 4 to 6 hours.

Both get chased with a 24 oz. cup of cold water.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Protein for me. Cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, eggs and meat. Protein powder leaves me hungry in an hour or so.

If I eat an apple for a snack, my stomach is rumbling within an hour. I'm not sure why different foods affect people differently.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt and it helps me a lot.. Not low fat.. the normal fat.. I eat it either with fruit and splenda, with a bit of muesli and fruit or with this type of jam that I made with gooseberries and honey...

Very yummy!
  • Melindhra
    Melindhra Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    One large banana painted end to end and all around with peanut butter sates my hunger for 4 to 6 hours.
    Apples satisfy for hours also, but I have to eat two if I want it to last 4 to 6 hours.

That sounds like an awesome idea. I don't like peanut butter, but it would work with almond butter. Mmm!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    If I eat a carb-heavy meal, whether it's complex carbohydrates or not, I get hungry again very quickly. If there's more fat and protein, I'm typically not hungry for a very long time.

I make a "chocolate" pudding from coconut milk, cinnamon, cocoa powder (no sugar), stevia, almond butter, vegan protein powder and avocado(!) when I want a breakfast that keeps me satisfied for a few hours. It tastes awesome too!

If I don't have any time to prepare food in the morning or I want something before I work out, I might make coffee with some organic coconut oil and almond butter. That really keeps me full for hours and I don't need to gulp down gels when I go for longer runs.

That pudding sounds really good!
    I try to have food that's high in protein and fiber but low in carbs. This tends to keep me full the longest.
    Unfortunately fruits and veggies alone don't fill me but I do try to have them for the nutrients. I think that I don't real get fully satisfied with my meals if it's all "empty calories"... I feel like I'm hungry less often when I'm getting more of those vitamins
  • NYgirl1990
    NYgirl1990 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hello! ...so i really want to get serious about dieting and stuff. Because since almost 2 weeks ago i've cut down on alot of bad foods, but i wanna cut down even more and have a more healthier diet. But my actual question is (because i actually eat so much) is what foods can you consume that actually fill you up and keep you fuller for longer?

Smoothies help keep me full for quite a long time. I use 2 bananas, 2 cups of almond milk, and mixed berries or mangoes.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Protein (meat) and fat usually fill me up the most. I love water and vegetables, but they don't do it for me. Carbs I can fill up on without even thinking. They give me energy, but not necessarily a feeling of fullness.
  • CometMeebru
    CometMeebru Posts: 122
    Options
    greek yogurt
  • DATMANN
    DATMANN Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The types of foods that will keep you fuller longer are foods that consist of protein, fiber, and healthy fats!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Great question and I've been looking for the same answer since the first of July. I tried protein shakes but found that, at least for me, my energy level tanked and I was a zombie. Through hit and miss, though, after a serving of string cheese and a crisp apple, I felt pretty good - a good blend of nutrients for this old body of mine. If I miss out on the chewing process due to small portions or don't eat multiple foods at the same time (for example, a big salad with a single serving of protein and another vegetable), I don't feel "full."

I asked a similar question a few weeks back and a lot of folks said "carbs for energy or protein for building muscle." I'm sure there's wisdom in that advice, but I also know that I often feel lethargic after eating certain foods. I gave up Coke about a month ago (as well as other sweets) and I feel better, but that food balance is a tricky one. For me, combining foods is the only way I get through the day, but we're all so unique. I hope you find that right mix for you! Also, make sure you are actually eating enough and not starving yourself.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Oats (porridge) are always great and filling for breakfast. Slow release energy. Throw some fruits in there, too. Strawberries, grapes, blueberries, etc.

Something else I like is healthy option Subway's. Get turkey or chicken breast, with a ton of salad on 9 grain bread and sweet onion sauce. Tasty, filling and healthy.
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

That sounds like an awesome idea. I don't like peanut butter, but it would work with almond butter. Mmm!

I agree, this sounds awesome. Definitely making it tomorrow. Thanks!

These foods keep me,full when I eat them:

Kale
    Chick peas
    Cottage cheese
    80% and above dark chocolate
    Chicken breast
    Avocado
    Eggs
    Olive oil
    Spinach

........and basically any green veggies, lean protein or beans
  • angiep098
    angiep098 Posts: 33
    Options
    Protein (: I always have these: nuts, chicken breast, hard-boiled egg whites, broccoli, plain greek yoghurt...I usually have a very busy schedule without too much time to eat so these can be a life-saver to get me through the day!
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Foods rich in protein and healthy fats,,, and also i drink a lot of water