New to weight loss

Options
Hi, I am 27 yrs old weighing 193 pounds and 5'8" I am really new to all this counting calories and losing a large amount as I have always been in great shape until I got married and now have had three little munchkins in 3 years and I will add that we lived on the road for two years so you can imagine how all the weight got here. My goal is to be back around 145 lbs, we just moved to Belgium so shopping and finding things are so what difficult now so anyways on with the real questions.....I will be finishing insanity month 1 this Saturday (yes it's been hard, but I'm going to finish it) I'm just wondering what is a good workout DVD for at home that sheds weight?. I am currently consuming 1500 net, now I am trying to eat as clean as possible, but I'm not going to lie I do have some fast food or candy, but only within my calorie count. My goal is to be 150 by march 2014 any tips or ideas to have this goal be accomplished would be wonderful. Thank you

Replies

• IAmReady2LoseITAllNow
    Options
    me too. lets be friends!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    43 lbs. in 8-9 months is quite doable. In 8 months, it's 1.25 lbs./week; in 9 months, it's 1.1 lbs./week. As long as you are strict about logging everything you eat and stick to your net calorie allowance, you should be fine. You should be making changes that you can sustain for the long run, so the occasional treat is fine as long as you log it.

Exercise is good for keeping in shape, and ensuring that you lose more fat than muscle, but unless you do a lot, it's a relatively minor component of your weight loss. You get fit in the gym, but you get thin in the kitchen, as they say. One thing to watch out for is that MFP and other sites often overestimate how many calories are consumed by exercise. I went for a nearly 2-hour-long bike ride today and burned about 1100 calories (according to my HRM/bike computer); MFP estimated almost 1500. I'd be inclined to reduce the site's estimates by 25%, then see how your weight loss plan compares with your actual results.

Good luck!
  • nurse_ratty
    nurse_ratty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    if you have a smart phone down load the app - it will become your best friend!!! i have lost nearly 30lbs since jan 2013.
    be honest, alllow your self to live just change your behaviour if you want a night out nice food beer etc etc have one but earn it go for long walks!!
  • Travis_Lee_II
    Travis_Lee_II Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good luck! My advice is simple... Do not cut your calories too low. Made that mistake and now have to fix my metabolism. Simply find your TDEE and BMR and take the weight loss process slowly.
  • coll_6
    coll_6 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. Could anyone recommend some workout DVD though? It is hard to get outside as my husband works from 8am and gets home at 7pm and someone is always napping so it is best for me to get my exercising done at home. Thanks again
  • coll_6
    Options
    Added app to phone from the beginning.... Yup, that's done :happy:
  • ginag516
    ginag516 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello there :drinker: I heard the insanity DVD was good and very challenging I am more of a outdoor and gym type of person I dont have much time for DVDS but the insanity my co-worker is doing it and lost alot of weight Good Luck
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and also Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. I did the 30DS DVD (took 2 months to finish, not 30 days though) and lost 18 lbs in those 2 months. I just started Ripped in 30 and like what I see so far. Both are short workouts compared to insanity, but still extremely effective. The videos were both available in the US at WalMart stores for $10.
  • coll_6
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and also Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. I did the 30DS DVD (took 2 months to finish, not 30 days though) and lost 18 lbs in those 2 months. I just started Ripped in 30 and like what I see so far. Both are short workouts compared to insanity, but still extremely effective. The videos were both available in the US at WalMart stores for $10.

Thanks will look into those two