Help with toning / strength training

Options
I'm not sure if I should concentrate on losing a few pounds by watching my diet and doing low impact exercises before implementing strength training.

Also, I have heard when you are toning / building muscle you should intake protein and carbs thirty minutes before your workout and intake protein after. I know that protein intake is important but which way is better?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Christine

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    For best results combine aerobic and weight lifting into a routine. Weight lifting helps negate muscle loss during calorie restriction.

Carb intake after working out may be required after 2+ hours of moderate to intense exercise. Otherwise, not necessary.

Protein probably helps within a 3 hour window of working out.
  • cake_superior
    cake_superior Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "I'm not sure if I should concentrate on losing a few pounds by watching my diet and doing low impact exercises before implementing strength training."

You should read the /fit/ sticky: http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html
  • Dollfun1
    Dollfun1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :smile:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I should concentrate on losing a few pounds by watching my diet and doing low impact exercises before implementing strength training.

Strength training will augment your low impact/cardio exercises by helping you to maintain/increase your lean body mass. This increases your resting caloric burn rate - so with a program that includes both cardio and resistance, you will be burning calories with your low impact exercises, burning calories recovering from strength training, burning calories while strength training.
    Also, I have heard when you are toning / building muscle you should intake protein and carbs thirty minutes before your workout and intake protein after. I know that protein intake is important but which way is better?

The research I've seen - and the people I know who have studied the subject in depth - seem to concur that the timing of protein intake relative to the timing of your strength training is a negligible factor in your results. In other words, if you feel that your workout is improved by consuming X at Y time, by all means do it. But, there is no need to make it a habit for optimal results.

You mention low impact and strength training as if they're mutually exclusive. You can incorporate resistance training without it needing to be brutal or 'high impact'.

Sounds like you're on the right track in general though! Best of luck to you :-)