LADIES! Very odd question! (Not about your period....)

2»

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Oh My! I've never heard of a marathon or any other race where lady parts and bladders were just flying out all over the ground. I think you're safe. Sounds like an old wives tale and a good excuse to be lazy.

I LOL'd at that!

I'm 60 and still remember my dear grandmothers at this age. One still swam occasionally but the other was pretty much sedentary. She was big on podiatrists and always worrying about falling arches or something like that. I think a lot about what she'd be telling me since I took up sprint triathlons in my 50s and now regularly do 20-mile bike rides and then come home and swim (after some rest). Mom ran 2 miles a day into her 70s but had to quit because a med she was taking to regulate her heart rhythm slowed her down. Now she walks 4 miles a day at age 82. Oh, yeah- she had 5 kids.

Ideas about what women can and cannot do as they age have changed a lot. Thank God. I'm willing to bet that there are more risks to being sedentary than to running on pavement.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    As a man, is there anything I have to worry about? Will my (to use medical terminology) *kitten* descend or stretch somehow?

Your colon can prolapse as well. If you're feeling adventurous, do a google image search for prolapsed colon or uterus with the safe search off. I DARE you.

Women weren't originally allowed to run the marathon for this exact reason, people thought their uterus would fall out. It's still a lingering school of thought apparently.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Duplicate post.

:flowerforyou:
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Just back from my usual Saturday 5k run. Pleased to report that all my bits are still intact!

Woohoo!!! Glad you survived! I survived me run this morning as well! :drinker:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    As in a uterine prolapse? Not likely. You have a better chance of having a prolapse if you have had children vaginally (risk increases with each child, and larger children), pelvic surgery, straining during bowel movements (eat your fiber), and chronic coughing.

Do your kegels if you think you have a risk.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Oh My! I've never heard of a marathon or any other race where lady parts and bladders were just flying out all over the ground. I think you're safe. Sounds like an old wives tale and a good excuse to be lazy.

This totally cracked me up just picturing an olympics marathon hehe
  • l_oudman
    l_oudman Posts: 373 Member

I laughed so hard I think something may have fallen!!
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member

I laughed so hard I think something may have fallen!!
    OMG - now I have to pee!!! lmao
  • FitSmith2
    FitSmith2 Posts: 4 Member
    I just had my cousin "inform" me about this danger when I mentioned my 10 mile race coming up in October. I didn't even have a response, I just stared blankly at her. :indifferent:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Uh, no. I don't think so.

It hasn't happened to me or any of my friends who are serious runners. That's kinda funny. I can just picture a bunch of women running and their bladders and uterus' falling out! :laugh:
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    I think if a zombie started chasing me while I was running, my uterus and bladder would fall out.
    But, it might just save my life if, I could keep running while the zombie munched on my pieces parts!

#zomieapocolyps
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    SEE! I knew it had to be bull!!! -_-

I'm glad I made a lot of y'all laugh! I'd probably piss myself if I saw someone else ask this question.. the thought just freaked me out because I do plan on having kids....

Thinking about those parts.. falling out. Makes me shutter! I was very caught off guard when they started going on about how it happened to one of them.. my stomach turned.

Ew. :sick:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    If anything, running strengthens your pelvic muscles and the muscles of your trunk in general. Especially if you run on uneven terrain. Just balancing and bracing yourself for all that movement requires a certain amount of core strength.

Although... hold on, I am feeling a little hysterical. Good ol' uterus decided to start floating around the insides of my body again. I better lie down and avoid all exertion, like a classy lady.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    As a man, is there anything I have to worry about? Will my (to use medical terminology) *kitten* descend or stretch somehow?

Enlarged prostate
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    i don't run much anymore, i hike a lot more but i ran cross country all through middle school, high school and college.
    my uterus, rectum, instensines, bladder, and everything else is all in tact.
    well my bladders ****ed up but it's not from running.

the only thing running hard on the pavement ever did to me was make my knees hurt, and ocassionally i got shin splints from running. that's why i stopped, because my knee would swell from running and have fluid in it, i find that hiking doesn't bother it nearly as much so i switched to that.

if anyone loses any lady parts while running though, let me know!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    SEE! I knew it had to be bull!!! -_-

I'm glad I made a lot of y'all laugh! I'd probably piss myself if I saw someone else ask this question.. the thought just freaked me out because I do plan on having kids....

Thinking about those parts.. falling out. Makes me shutter! I was very caught off guard when they started going on about how it happened to one of them.. my stomach turned.

Ew. :sick:

No you would have to have a preexsisting condition like uterine prolapse, but if your young and in good health your reproductive organs will stay in.