Strength training. Am I losing my time?

Options
I know that on MFP strength training is greatly valued. I want to know if using machines, dumbbells and barbells (50 and lighter) are useful or if I have to switch straight to heavy lifting. Oh, and what is heavy lifting?

My goal in fitness, for the moment, is to lose weight without losing muscle mass.

Replies

• lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting is just that...Lift what feels heavy to you! You should start at something that is farely challenging at about 8-10 reps x3 sets and the last few of the last set should be rather difficult. There isn't a set # to start at for every person, just pick something that feels fairy heavy and pump it. lol. I use a combination of machines, barbells and dumbbells really depending on my mood. hehe
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    May start with a dumbbell in the 10-15 lb range if you're new to it. If you aren't tired at all after one set then switch to a heavier one
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting is just that...Lift what feels heavy to you! You should start at something that is farely challenging at about 8-10 reps x3 sets and the last few of the last set should be rather difficult. There isn't a set # to start at for every person, just pick something that feels fairy heavy and pump it. lol. I use a combination of machines, barbells and dumbbells really depending on my mood. hehe

OK, great, that's exactly what I've been doing for the past 2 weeks.
    So I don't have to follow those programs they're talking about, like Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Heavy Lifting for Women, etc.?
    I was afraid, because frankly, I'm have a pretty weak upper body, he he he
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've never done strength training. Most women and many men don't start with 50 pound dumbbells or a high setting on a machine. You have to work your way up. Your goals also matter. I would book an appointment or two with a trainer or buy a good book. Anytime you're working hard with good form is beneficial, regardless of the weight.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    You lift for you. Lift what you think is right for your set and rep range.

And I don't care what people say - use a mixture of free weights and machines both give there benefits.

I started lifting by bench pressing 15kg... lol
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

OK, great, that's exactly what I've been doing for the past 2 weeks.
    So I don't have to follow those programs they're talking about, like Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Heavy Lifting for Women, etc.?
    I was afraid, because frankly, I'm have a pretty weak upper body, he he he

From what I've heard, Stronglifts is a good program. I'm sure it assumes that a new exerciser will start with the weights she can handle,no matter how light. To coin a phrase, you have to walk before you can run.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The most general definition for heavy lifting is using free weights in a rep range of 3-8 with 3-5 sets per exercise.

Machines have their uses, but most work prime movers in isolation of the surrounding musculature, which can lead to stability imbalances and weaknesses, so shouldn't make up the core of your routine.

The actual weight, whether that be 5, 50 or 500lbs is irrelevant and the most important factor is the perceived exertion - how hard it feels for YOU, personally.

Progressive overload builds a stronger neuromuscular response over time (more fibers contract), which increases strength without much or any hypertrophy.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! :D
  • trialstyle
    trialstyle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You should read her story http://www.myfitnesspal.com/Barbellerella
    She inspired my wife amd I to start strong lifts about 6 weeks ago and have'nt looked back.
    You should join this group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
    There, you will find what your looking for.
  • upforthecount
    upforthecount Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    "My goal in fitness, for the moment, is to lose weight without losing muscle mass."

This is a laudable goal but very difficult to achieve. In my own case, I dropped from 214 lbs to near 160 lbs over the course of six months. I trained consistently during those months using mostly free weights. Over the course of those six months I ended up taking off between 20-30% of the amount of weight I could lift prior to losing weight; which translates to loss of muscle.

You will find, that due to a reduced caloric intake, that your energy levels during your workout will drop off quicker than if you were not dieting. It will be exceedingly difficult to lift the last few reps - you won't have the energy.

There is a whole lot to learn about lifting weights, I would get help early so you don't end up wasting your time at the gym (like I did).
  • beyondmywildestdreams
    beyondmywildestdreams Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    "My goal in fitness, for the moment, is to lose weight without losing muscle mass."

This is a laudable goal but very difficult to achieve. In my own case, I dropped from 214 lbs to near 160 lbs over the course of six months. I trained consistently during those months using mostly free weights. Over the course of those six months I ended up taking off between 20-30% of the amount of weight I could lift prior to losing weight; which translates to loss of muscle.

You will find, that due to a reduced caloric intake, that your energy levels during your workout will drop off quicker than if you were not dieting. It will be exceedingly difficult to lift the last few reps - you won't have the energy.

There is a whole lot to learn about lifting weights, I would get help early so you don't end up wasting your time at the gym (like I did).
    You lost the amount of weight you could lift? How big was your deficit? Even while losing weight I increased my strength dramatically...but I also wasn't eating only 1200 calories like a lot of people do
  • upforthecount
    upforthecount Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For example, at 214lbs I could bench 3x12 at 120. When I weighed closer to 165, it was a struggle to do 3x3 at 120. I would end up doing 3x8 at 105. I aimed for a deficit of around 500 calories daily.

Glad to hear your strength increased. I wish I could say the same.