bagels

Options
So.. are bagels bad for you? I keep hearing they are but I use to eat that junkie cereal in the morning so at least it's better than what I was eating. I have one every morning almost. I eat those Thomas Blueberry Bagels with a little dap of cream cheese. I know the calories are like 270 (not including the cream cheese), but that's better then eating no breakfast right? It's just a quick thing for me to grab and toast before I leave for work at 5am in the morning. Any thoughts or maybe some quick ideas for breakfast in the morning? I am NO good if I don't eat something in the AM, I don't know how anyone skips breakfast!

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eat an Asiago cheese bagel almost every morning for breakfast. I eat higher protein in my other meals to balance my macros.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    They're not inherently "good" or "bad" for you, it depends how they fit into your overall diet. Of course, if you have allergies or intolerances to wheat or gluten, or need to be low-carb, then they won't be great for you. Otherwise, they're fine in an otherwise balanced diet.

A lot of people find that adding some more protein to their breakfast helps keep them fuller for longer.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I used to live in NJ where I could buy real bagels- not hard rolls with a hole in the middle, which is what they sell out here in "one of those square states in the middle". To me they're not worth the calories and have little nutritional value, but if they fit into your calories and you like them, they can't hurt.

My breakfast is usually a piece of whole wheat bread, toasted, or oatmeal made from oat bran flavored with cinnamon. I throw the oat bran (pretty cheap at Whole Foods) into water I've brought to a boil in the microwave, then microwave it again watching very carefully so it doesn't boil over. That thickens it a little more. Add cinnamon.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    They just tend to be a lot of bread and therefore higher in calories than eating two slices of regular bread. I think that's why people claim they're "bad" for you. Personally, I couldn't live without bagels (REAL bagels, not the gross grocery store kind), but I don't eat them every day either.
  • Feliciagio
    Options
    My grocery sells a product called alternative bagels. They are 120 calories. You could do an egg white, half ounce of cheese and ounce of boars head ham on one of these bagels for the same calories you are eating now an get lots more protein. When I am in a rush I eat Jimmy Dean Delights breakfast sandwiches at 250 calories, egg beaters with a cheese stick and pop cakes with a laughing cow cheese wedge for under 250 calories, real medleys oatmeal at 270 calories or egg white omelet with half an ounce of cheese and turkey sausage. You could tuck in some raw spinach in any of these breakfast sandwich for an extra nutritional punch with very few calories to sacrafice. Your calories may fit in your diet but I think you could get better nutrition with the calories you are using.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Yup this ^^^^

I live in NYC where we have the best bagels anywhere. Lately I have been having 3 bagels every Tuesday morning (OP, I'm not recommending you do that). Don't listen to anyone telling you they are bad for you. You can also add some egg whites and bacon and make it a sandwich, yum!!

Three???? Holy cow! That's like 1500 calories and my total daily goal of carbs. Good for you--I'd totally do it if I could.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    People from Montreal would disagree that NY has "best bagels anywhere". I stand with mes amis from Quebec on this.

As to bagels, my 2 cents is, I love them but they're calorically "expensive". I'd rather spend those 300ish calories on a bacon/egg/cheese on English Muffin, but that's my personal taste. If I valued bagels more I'd have them.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    They're not inherently "good" or "bad" for you, it depends how they fit into your overall diet. Of course, if you have allergies or intolerances to wheat or gluten, or need to be low-carb, then they won't be great for you. Otherwise, they're fine in an otherwise balanced diet.

A lot of people find that adding some more protein to their breakfast helps keep them fuller for longer.

^^^ this. I won't waste my calories/carbs on a mediocre bagel and i'm trying to cut back in my carbs so i don't have a problem skipping them. but here's nothing wring with it if it fits your diet. just note that a bagel in terms of calories is equivalent to about 4-5 skuces of bread
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I love bagels! Enjoy - in fact, enjoy one for me...I've already eaten breakfast this morning. ;-)
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    People from Montreal would disagree that NY has "best bagels anywhere". I stand with mes amis from Quebec on this.

As to bagels, my 2 cents is, I love them but they're calorically "expensive". I'd rather spend those 300ish calories on a bacon/egg/cheese on English Muffin, but that's my personal taste. If I valued bagels more I'd have them.
    I love st Viateur bagel best bagel, even compare to the best NYC's bagel shops
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a bagel provided it fits into your calories for the day. Ensure you are properly measuring the cream cheese or other toppings you use.

I have a bagel now and again. When I want to splurge I get a Jalapeno Asiago bagel with some cream cheese from Tim Hortons. They are amazing but definitely not something I would eat everyday. I used to eat bagels far too often loaded with high calorie fillings so I have cut back on how many of them I eat.

I love making my own than toasting them and putting a bit of lower cal cheese on it with some lettuce and tomato or some cream cheese.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it depend on the bagel? Is the point calories or fiber? I think a whole bagel is high cal. White bagel is losw fiber. I rarely eat them, but when I do it's usually pumpernickel with jalapeno salsa cream cheese. Ok, now i need to go look up the nutritional info. :-p
  • angiep098
    angiep098 Posts: 33
    Options
    Bagels get a pretty bad rep just cause they so much denser than a regular slice of bread, making them calorie-heavy. If it's a 100% whole wheat bagel, and it fits into your calories/macros then I say go for it! Bagels are one of my absolute favorite foods :D
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I live in PA. We have a lot of kosher deli s in my area so I get fresh REAL bagels. Not that garbage in a bag they pass off as bagels in the grocery stores. As long as I have the calories for it I'll eat one. I used to eat them a few times a week but my weight loss was extremely slow to nonexistent doing that. Now I have them as a treat. Of course I love to have the everything bagel toasted with cream cheese or lox. But for me if you're going to eat a bagel go all the way or not at all. :happy:
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The average bagel can be equivelant to 4 slices of bread. I will buy minis when I am having a craving and I make sure they are whole grain. If I am at the store, I request that they scoop out the middle leaving a thinner shell that I will have toasted and add cream cheese and lox to round out some of those carbs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have them occasionally, but it's a bit of a pain to fit them in my diary sometimes.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat a bagel daily, switch to a whole wheat bagel. You won't save on calories, but it'll be healthier