Eating Before a Race

Options
I am running a night 5k tonight at 8:30. What do you think should be my last meal before the race, and when should I eat it? I was thinking something with a lot of carbs around 4 pm. I don't want to be too full to race, or too hungry. If I find myself getting hungry before I leave the house, I'll just eat a tablespoon of peanut butter...usually does the trick without making my stomach feel all sloshy. Suggestions are appreciated. Thank you :)

Replies

• mbrtron
    mbrtron Posts: 45
    Options
    I normally eat a light meal 30 minutes to an hour before I run. I usually run after breakfast so I normally have a couple of eggs and a piece of toast. I would eat the same for a 5k as I do for the gym since I run the same distance 3x a week at the gym already.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    personally, i like to run on a mostly empty stomach. i might eat a light, late lunch, and then grab a banana about an hour before the run.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I would eat a normal lunch, and a snack at 4pm with some protein. Then at 6pm I'd have a carb-mostly snack like breakfast cereal or something easy to digest. I'd NEVER do peanut butter before running, but that's me. I'll taste it for hours after :sick:
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    IMO it is ok to not 'carb load' for a 5k. Even a 45-60 minute run doesn't need a ton of carbo loading before.
    Eat normal, don't over do it, 2-3 hours before?
    If you need something more eat small compact food like nuts or dried fruit.
    Again, just my own opinion.
    Once you start (if you do) doing longer races then I think the food comes more into factor.

Good luck to you!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I agree about not carb loading for a 5k. I mentioned a carb-only snack because it will digest quicker than a balanced one with protein and fat.