IIFYM/General Question

Ok, I know this sounds very stupid but it confuses the heck out of me so I thought I would ask just to be sure. Ok, so I am "starting" the "IIFYM diet". I am in a cutting phase and according to IIFYM.com my calorie goal is 2171 calories a day. I usually burn around 700 calories a day doing P90X (Calories burned calculated by Polar FT7 Heart Rate Monitor).

So say I had eaten my 2171 calories for the day then did my workout. I would then have 1471 net calories according to myfitnesspal.

Does that mean I can then eat another 700 calories and bring me back up to my goal of 2171 calories for the day? Or has my 2171 goal already been met regardless of any calories burned during exercise?

I know that I am overthinking this and will probably get some flak but could someone pull my finger and help me out with this brain fart? Thanks!

Replies

• bvw665
    bvw665 Posts: 7
    Those online calorie maintenance calculators are usually inaccurate. Those calories are probably for you being comatose. You need to find out your BMR, activity level etc. to find your maintenance level. 1400 calories is extremely low.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    I'm no expert on IIFYM's efficacy, but I just looked at their website and they've got a TDEE calculator. As such, you select you typical daily activity and that's intended to be taken into account when determining your caloric intake. So, assuming you've made the appropriate selection re: the typical amount of exercise you do every week, you would NOT eat back your exercise calories, as the calculator already considered those when calculating your calorie goal

In any case, these calculators are, of course, just approximators; try it for a few weeks; if you're gaining, eat less; and if you're losing very rapidly and feeling fatigued, eat more. Best of luck!
  • mattbecker56
    mattbecker56 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks! You have been a great help!