steak marinade

Options
icimani
icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
I need a good simple marinade for grilling steak. Anybody got a good recipe?

Tonight's steak was marinated just in Worcestershire Sauce - it was nice and tender, but the taste was just ok. I tried a Chicago Rub but it just tasted like pepper to me. I love Golden Corral's steak - anyone know what they use?

Replies

• RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Steak should never need a marinade a dry brine of kosher salt and wet ageing in the fridge for 1-2 days will give you the best possible results. The steak should also be brought to room temp 35-40 min on the counter before cooking to give best outcome on even cooking.

Dry the steak surface you can apply black pepper or blended cracked pepper use cast iron or stainless heat the pan over med-high for 2-3 minutes till its hot drop in 1 tbsp of good oil gently lay the steaks in if its under 1 1/2 inches sear for 5 minutes per side for about med-rare plate it cover it for 10-15 minutes then eat.

if its over 1 1/2 inches you may need to use the oven at 350 to slowly finish it to just the right doneness the resting of the steak is essential and the type of pan is important for a proper sear which adds the flavor compounds also needed for a proper pan sauce if using.

I would suggest 1 1/2 inches min but 2" will give better results also the pan being hot enough is important as well for the sear.
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My favorite: equal parts (such as 1/4 cup) olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and vinger. I then add some Italian seasoning, oragno, basil these I don't measure so maybe a tablespoon. Let it marinade for at least two hours. I usually do it over night. Yum yum! ;) let me know if you try it a like it please.
  • chefstew79
    chefstew79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I actually won’t marinade a steak (unless it’s a tougher cut of meat such as a london broil), instead Ill hit it with salt and pepper on the grill and put a dab of butter on before serving it. If I’m cooking it inside, I’ll cook it in a cast iron pan with salt, pepper butter but then make a quick pan sauce with red wine & shallots. Essentially you sear the steak at high temp on both sides then remove it from the pan for a minute or two while you sautee shallots and add a little bit of red wine. Then put the steak back in the pan with the sauce and finish it in a 350 degree oven until the desired temperature.
  • andersonh2007
    andersonh2007 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We rub the steak with a little evoo, then add a bit of garlic salt, salt, and pepper. Last, we fork the meat. So easy and delicious.