is it possible to just not ever become a runner?

Options
I've been using C25K since April and I'm running/ walking for a total of 40+ minutes including w/u and c/d but I cannot run for an extended time yet. I get cramps and I'm just fatigued. I've gotten better at breathing but I cannot get passed run 1 min/walk 1 min. Is there something wrong with me or am I just not meant to be a runner?

I've always been fast and can run bases without getting out but I can't run for even 5 minutes straight. I know interval running is good for weight loss and that really is my goal but I would really like to be able to run a 5K eventually and am just not sure why I cannot run for longer amounts of time..

Any ideas on why this isn't working for me?

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    How fast are you running? Try slowing down.
  • sgarrett333
    Options
    Every interval is different. Sometimes it is 8 min./ miles and all the way up to 11 min./ miles. I'm very inconsistent. Sometimes there is a little incline and sometimes the opposite which affects my speed
    I
  • tirola
    tirola Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm not a super runner or anything (although I'm working on getting there!) but my advice would be to slow down. Build up your endurance and the speed will come! When I first started out, I was averaging around 13-13:30 min/mile. As my endurance has built a bit, my pace is speeding up.
  • purpelle
    purpelle Posts: 3
    Options
    If you really want to run then persevere but if not and you don't enjoy what you are doing, switch activities. I walk a lot but just cannot run, not even a slow jog as I get out of breath immediately and feel sick very quickly so I don't do it! There are many choices when it comes to exercise.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Every interval is different. Sometimes it is 8 min./ miles and all the way up to 11 min./ miles. I'm very inconsistent. Sometimes there is a little incline and sometimes the opposite which affects my speed
    I

Slow down. Go at a slow steady pace you can hold a conversation while maintaining. That jog might end up more of a shuffle that is slower than your walk but that is ok. Speed can come later.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Just a side note:
    I have done some genetic testing on myself and my siblings. There are some gen markers for muscle type that would indicate a tendency to be a sprinter or more of an endurance runner. Mine shows Sprinter and I do not like to run and never have. My son and the siblings that like to run have the different muscle gene.

on topic I am not sure why someone feels they have to run. Plenty of other forms of exercise and many a lot less hard on your body and joints.

JMO
  • wxbeauty123
    wxbeauty123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It could be your form too. I was told when I went to a running clinic once that form is very important especially for the longer distances. Though I am in the same boat, I have never enjoyed running no matter what I tried. Now I am injured to the point that I can't run (running didn't cause the injury).
  • sgarrett333
    Options
    I don't really like running but I like the time to myself with no kids.I like the way it is making my but body look.I do other things like Wii zumba and workout videos, but I really like how I'm toning up from running and how it burns calories. I cant afford a gym membership and I don't have a bike so it is a cheap way to lose weight. This is most I've ever run in my life.
  • anna_louise90
    anna_louise90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts, you definitely need to slow down! I did C25K, and now at 30 minutes I run at a pace of 5.5mph. Running is all about sustained cardio, so you need to build up your endurance. What week of C25K are you on? Just stick with it, slow down until you can finish the assigned run, then repeat that week if it was very difficult. It definitely works :)
  • sgarrett333
    Options
    I stopped doing the weeks and just started to go thru all the interval runs.