Suggestion from "Fitness Instructor"

emAZn
emAZn Posts: 413 Member
So I was at the gym the other day and decided to do one of those fitness assessments which was great loved the work out but then they wanted to talk about my nutrition.

So I explained to him that I was doing IIFYM and I was pretty confident in my nutrition and he promptly told me that he doesn't go to my job and tell me what to do so I should listen.. lol nice guy right... He then asked me how many grams of protein I was eating and I said 130 (I was 130 lbs) at the time and he said that was way too many and as I had 19% body fat that there was no need to be feeding the 19% of fat of me any nutrition so he then did the math and took away 24 grams of protein and told me I should be eating 106 g.

Not that I really thing 24 grams is anything to worry over because I tend to go way over on my protein anyways but what do you think about the not feeding the "fat" in you theory?

Replies

• lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    uh....What?! Lol. I'd say get a new trainer that isn't a cocky d bag and I'd insist on knowing his reasoning...:P
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    I think what he was trying to say was that he was recalculating your protein needs based on your lean body mass. Which is the correct method of calculation.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    He stills should be explaining his reasoning rather than talking about "feeding the fat". That seems rather unprofessional to me.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Lol I didn't buy his personal training but I did take his suggestion of a crossfit style training and joined a crossfit gym :) and yes that is what he was calculating but that's not the suggested macros for IIFYM.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    It's based on the idea that you eat 1gm protein per lb LBM. Pretty standard recommendation, actually.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Yes your fitness instructor is correct on the current method of thinking of 1gram for 1lb or lean body mass.
    Your requirements are nothing like that of a body builder or athlete.
  • rickvw1970
    rickvw1970 Posts: 13
    The guy sounds like an a-hole and I generally don't take advice from a-holes. Trust the internet rather than some schmuck in a tight T.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Pretty standard recommendation, actually.

x2
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    He worked it out the proper way, maybe he would assume you would recalibrate the other macros to match your calories, or to lower your calorie intake by the protein reduction (just under 100?)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    You should eat 0.8gr of protein for every lb you weigh. His rational is just fine. But his attitude sucks. Maybe if you git to know him it would be different.