My Eyes Have Been Opened To The "Supplement World" (READ)

Options
http://examine.com/supplements/Glutamine/

^ through an article shared by a fellow user, I came across this website which has major studies and references on many supplements you yourself may be using. Simply search for your supplements and you'll find that some of the benefits you think you're getting from your supplements are simply false or have little research tied to them. This shows me that all the money I've spent on supplements to help support my fat burning and lean mass gaining has been a waste. So I'm left wondering if there actually are any true supplements, vitamins, minerals that will aid in fat burning, along with a good diet and exercise?

Replies

• SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a miracle supplement that actually works for fat burning, but have heard of a lot of dangerous ones that end up getting pulled off the market due to the supplements causing serious health problems and even death (remember the infamous phen phen debacle?). However supplements to help correct nutritional deficiencies/issues are a bit different, like the D3 supplement my dr. has me on for my D deficiency or the B12 supplement I take once a week, because I'm a vegetarian.
  • mattywesmitchell
    Options
    I don't even need a miracle supplement just something that perhaps increases metabolism or enhances calorie burning during workout.
  • mattywesmitchell
    Options
    I use Cinnanon and Ginger Root as well, but I'm sure the benefits are marginal.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of evidenced based
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I don't even need a miracle supplement just something that perhaps increases metabolism or enhances calorie burning during workout.

Dude, you're 18 yrs old and a guy...how much do you need your metabolism to increase? I'm 40 yrs old, female, and a former fat kid and my metabolism is REVVING! Do you lift?
  • NYgirl1990
    NYgirl1990 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I take Vitamin D, Fish Oil, and Probiotics. Things go bad when I stop taking them. Increased joint pain, bad skin, hair loss, and bad digestion when I stop taking all 3.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My eyes were opened to when I took a sports nutrition course in grad school. Supplements like pre-workouts, creatine, whey, and vitamins can be obtained from nutrition. Unless there is a deficiency in a diet, there's no need to buy supplements.
  • mattywesmitchell
    Options
    Dude, you're 18 yrs old and a guy...how much do you need your metabolism to increase? I'm 40 yrs old, female, and a former fat kid and my metabolism is REVVING! Do you lift?
    [/quote]

Well, I'm sure my metabolism its pretty high but I'm not one of those kids who can eat whatever and how much ever they want without packing the fat. I just didn't know if there was a limit to your metabolism, because if not, obviously the higher the better. I guess I technically don't need anything to help with fat loss but if there was something out there it would probably be worth it. I'mstarting my 4th week of Insanity Monday and in a couple Weeks I'll be starting college and then have to train for baseball pretty much wiping out my workouts. JuSt trying to cut BF% to 10-11% asap. And no I haven't been lifting though I probably should be. I'll start back on weight training after the Fall season.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Anything that truly increases your metabolism enough to make a difference in weight loss is going to have nasty side effects--profuse sweating, tachycardia, muscle tremors, nausea, shortness of breath, death--so you really don't want to take any of that stuff.
  • LWHershey
    LWHershey Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the insights on SUPPLEMENTS. I am a skeptic about them for "fat burning" or much else. Metabolism is set by the
    reptilian part of the brain, the hypothalamus. Hard to believe that we can beat 50 million years of evolution with a few chemicals.
  • deety3
    deety3 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My dietician had recommended a combo capsule of Pinnaclife D3 + Magnesium. I take 2 capsules daily. Looks like both supplements aid in fat loss and lowered blood pressure, as well as a host of other good results. Looks like I'm gonna keep taking it! :)
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think I have tried everything out there only to learn that they don't work. What I take now has more to do with what I am short in like iron and d3 anything else is a waste