Bloating and Stomach Pain... possible IBS?

Options
After I eat fruits (bananas and apples are a big culprit), my stomach bloats like crazy and I get pains in my stomach... and I get a strong urge to go to the bathroom really quickly, like a minute after I eat it. I sometimes get diarrhea, sometimes not. But either way, it makes me have go to the bathroom NOW.

About four years ago, with a poor diet, I had really bad intestinal pains accompanied by hot flashes. It happened 3x a day and lasted about 30 mins, it was very painful. I went to the doctor, got prescribed some fiber drink mix, it worked about 80%. I finally got used to the pain, gave up, and it went away within a year or so. So with that said, I know my digestive system is pretty sensitive.

Anyone know what's causing this? Is it also possible that the water I drink with the fruit is making me huge? This morning I had a small banana and felt the bloat in almost a minute... which seems too fast because it takes longer for the food to pass through my system, doesn't it?

My food diary code is 6784. Take a look if you like.

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I drink a fiber smoothie every morning.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of fiber now, I believe. Fruits, veggies, oats, every day. I mean, aren't bananas and apples fiber? Isn't that what's causing the issue in the first place?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor.

Not much else to say. There are a lot of things that can upset your digestive system, and some of them are serious.
  • Cartridgecaity
    Cartridgecaity Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me with bananas. Food combining is important! If you are eating slow digesting foods right before the banana or fruits you are going to have bad digestion problems because fruits are fast digesting( especially if you are already having issues) You are getting backed up! Try eating them alone for a while until your body heals itself. Google food combining charts....

I saw you had pinto beans and bananas around the same time today. This will definately cause gas and bloating and should be a no no.

Also , make sure the bananas are ripe when you eat them. Some people have trouble with bananas when they are still green.
  • RubyRunner14
    Options
    Bananas always cause trouble, ripe or not, but you're right, the effects are much less severe when the banana is fully ripe. I typically eat old-fashioned rolled oats and then top it with bananas and blueberries. I know removing chia seeds from my oats just recently helped A TON. Would moving to steel cut oats help by any chance?

I originally came across this issue when eating them with oats in the morning. I removed them, did awesome, bloating didn't show up. Removed oats... I got hungry. Still trying to come up with a vegan breakfast that doesn't include oats and isn't 100% fruit. I just ate some pinto beans right now with a huge glass of water. Nice and puffy again, like a balloon.

My recent lunches and dinners also caused me to get a TON of gas and bloating. Maybe because I had to get up and go right after that, but I guess fiber of any kind just makes me huge...

I'll try food combining charts. Thanks for the help!
  • alexie97
    alexie97 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the doctor before anything but i have very similar symptoms. It is very rare but my doctor said that i was actually eating too much fiber. Since I'm a vegetarian, I can see how that is possible. Although it's very rare for people to have too much fiber, my stomach could not digest the fiber properly making me feel extremely bloated (extreme pain) with a sharp pain in my abdomen.

Before getting any medication, try reducing the about of raw fiber in your diet. In example, I couldn't stop eating fruits and veggies but instead of having them raw I would cook my apples or any fruit in the microwave so that some of the fiber was easier to digest. When you cook vegetables, the cellular structure is broken down making it easier to digest. Also try reducing the amount of carb intake by fruit because the sugar can also cause stomach pain.

good luck and message me for any more questions relating your problems :)
  • RubyRunner14
    Options
    Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I've never really counted fiber, but I'm guessing it's in the 40g+ range daily. Maybe that's why I'm so gassy and bloated nearly all the time! I'm actually going to try a low-carb/kind of ketonic diet for the time being to see what it'll do.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you think you have a medical issue definitely go see your doctor.