want to end the binging...losing control instead

Options
Hey guys, I could REALLY use some input on this because I'm going crazy. I've lost a lot of weight in the past with healthy eating and exercising. I went to college and it started off well, but the last two months of school I was so sad the year was ending I just stopped caring and ended up gaining around 10 pounds. I let it go because I thought I could lose the last 10 pounds as easy as I did the first time, in a little over a month. Well, I haven't lost anything and I am beyond frustrated. No, my occasional drinking with my friends (only 3 times this summer) or my occasional picking of my moms sweets does not help, I know that but I also count that and I still should have lost something.

Anyways, this summer I have been terrible now with binging. I have also had this problem but now it is terrible. I have lost control and I don't know what to do. I am also on vacation right now, trying to enjoy it, but I have been eating probably 2000 calories over my limit each day. I am good during the day, and then at night all hell breaks lose. I don't know what to do. It is ruining my vacation too because all I can think about is how fat I am and jilggly and how I have let myself go.

Advice please??

Replies

• TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    First,you are only human.We all have issues and reasons as to why we eat for comfort,...or binge ...feeling outta control. My advice is this,get some help.Go to counseling once/week. #2 get a journal,write down yur struggles,pain,sadness,...and esp. your great days,days that you met your goals..whatever that may be.#3 Stop feeling sorry for yourself,only you can change you. #4 Get some good music that makes you feel awesome and walk everyday...rain or shine..No excuses! You get up tomorrow morning and start fresh,because weather you know it yet deep down or not,...YOU deserve it! Best Wishes,and have a healthy beautiful night!

p.s. I know how you feel,been there done that,...and I did just what I'm telling you to do,...& I'm in a much healthier state of mind,body & spirit now!-Best things I could have ever done for myself!
  • ktmcdee
    ktmcdee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for your input, I will def. try all your methods and keep it all in mind. :) My only problem is, I already talk to someone who I have for the past couple years, and I don't know how to bring all this up to her. I know that's what she's there for, but I guess I'm ashamed of it all and don't know what to say....
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary, but when I binge it's because I get too restrictive. When I don't eat enough during the day and I am super hungry I binge at night. If I have several days where my calories are a bit too low I will end up binge eating. Make sure you are eating enough during the day.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Fighting the urge to binge is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. That's the truth. I still don't know how I make it through as many days as I do without binging, and I wish I had some super-awesome helpful advice for you. I had in a good four or five months without an out-of-control binge, then bam. The urge is back full force. The only thing I can tell you is to fight it as hard as you can, because if you're anything like me, you're going to keep obsessing about food even after you've eaten everything in sight. If you're going to obsess anyway, you may as well stay on goal.

As far as bringing it up in therapy, just do it. Tell her you've been having an ongoing problem with binge eating. It may help.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    YOu probably already tried this but Does exercising help ?

Can you eat a little and exercise in the evening instead?
    I'm just wondering if maybe you can substitute the urge by doing something that will give you a seretonin response instead of food?

I hope you work this out . and ya , tell your therapist everything . She will probably be able to give you the tools to handle this.

Amy
  • coreysarahsmoot
    Options
    The only thing that help me stop binging was to not cut myself off from everything. If I want some ice-cream, I have it....BUT I am mindful of how much I am eating and what else I have had that day. I am not a person who can just eat all health food, I like to live a little. So if I crave something sweet I try and have a few pieces of Dove Dark chocolate. It helps with the crave, and dark chocolate is better then reg. I also work out 5 times a week....You have to if you want to lose the weight. Don't feel ashamed, we are all human going threw a hard time! I had to go on a small amount of zoloft & once I did that I found that urge to binge was less & I seemed more aware of what I was doing to myself.
  • castorph
    castorph Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a behaviour pattern, especially as you mention being fine for months and then falling back into this habit.

I also used to reach for the snacks at night. The more I ate, the more I felt I needed to eat, and the less I cared about the consequences. When I broke out of this pattern, it was probably because I started exercising more regularly and logging the calories burned against what I put away in the food department. Even when I fancied an extra 1,000 kcal of junk, the thought of not wanting to undo the hard work I put in at the pool or running in the rain would overcome such urges over time. Before I reached this stage, though, I had a lot of "binge nights" that over time became less frequent.

Not knowing your full situation, I can only make a few random suggestions that helped me:

1. Exercise instead of snacking, even if it's just 5 minutes of skipping or a short walk.
    2. Drink zero calorie "treats" if you feel the urge for something sweet (cream soda, Coke/Sprite Zero, etc.)
    3. Try to keep the house clear of tempting junk food.
    4. Eat massive amounts of broccoli, cauliflower and other low-energy veg at dinner to feel full.
    5. Go to bed early - when you sleep, you can't eat!
    6. Focus on a hobby (music, film, chat) instead of snacking at night.

Most important, set yourself a long-term goal and focus on your long-term progress. That way, the little blips and off days won't pray on your mind so much.
  • ThisIsItAt50
    ThisIsItAt50 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What great advice! I loved reading this one! :heart: :heart:
  • pammcw
    pammcw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The book "A course in weight loss" by Marianne Williamson just helped me get off the binge wagon.