looking for honest users

Options

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Well if your looking for an honest person who logs..I'm one of them..not sure why people cheat nor do I really care it only makes them look silly I've seen people even lie about logging in by having others doing it for them ..and then bragging on it later,
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Just because burns are high doesn't mean they're necessarily inaccurate. I try to be as accurate as possible with my logging and have managed to stay accurate to within an error margin the equivalent of 50 calories per day over the last six months (based in calories in and out, based on HRM and FitBit, and weight lost).

It was actually tracking to with 10-15 calories per day until May when I had a weird blip around some family stress and it never fully righted itself.
  • berry83sweet
    berry83sweet Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    MFP calorie counter is off? It matched perfectly with my Stamina4825 bike. So I'm not actually burning 500 calories in an hour of hard intervals?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I understand the ridiculousness, but when MFP users lie on their diaries, they only to themselves. It doesn't affect you really, does it?

It sort of does. When someone posts incredible amounts of exercise or engages in one-upmanship by talking about how much they can eat when the number is not believable it creates a false idea of what you should be able to do. And if they're so good at burning calories why are they in the position of having to lose weight in the first place?
  • dessertlover27
    dessertlover27 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You and I would get along very well then, since I only burn 1 calorie or at most 3 a day (using the TDEE method). :laugh:
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I've only burned over 1000cals twice. Both times I was cracked out on CRAZE and pushed myself to the limit between weights and cardio.

Both times I ended up worse for wear.

My diary is stupidly honest. If I eat 3000cals over my daily allowance, I log it. Its embarrassing as hell, but that's what makes me accountable.

Whats the point of lying? Your only letting yourself down, and looking like a fool to everyone else when in 6 months your still putting up fake pics cuz your still a fat *kitten*.
  • autniccole
    autniccole Posts: 36
    Options
    I used to have my fitness activity hidden from my feed because I felt ashamed that I was burning such a TINY amount of calories and doing so little compared to so many people here on MFP. But, I've learned not to compare myself to anyone else, and to be proud of any and all activity I do. I log everything now openly and honestly and use my HRM for cardio activities.
  • Koryuu
    Koryuu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I trust the fitbit to tell me how many calories I've burned in a day. As to not changing weight...I actually don't check all that often!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I tack my calories burned low, that way on days I'm in the red, I'm still pretty close to my goal
  • SRB8710
    SRB8710 Posts: 90
    Options
    Well, unfortunately people underestimate what they eat and over estimate how many calories they burn. Sometimes people just don't know. I know I had to get a food scale and measuring cups. I also had to get a HRM so I know what I burn. MFP is bad about over calculating. It is frustrating to see that someone puts they burned 3000 calories.
  • Dollfun1
    Dollfun1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If people are inflating their exercise burn it is a real shame, but in the end they are only hurting themselves. I for one only want to surround myself with those being truthful. One can not advance in life if they are not truth with themselves and others. I need to have respect for those I look to for inspiration and advice.

Reading through these post I see some making light of those who log every thing (even folding laundry).... This is my first week on MFP and I log EVERYTHING (maybe not folding laundry, but cleaning the house yes) because I want to know where I am with food and exercise (due to some major surgeries due to cancer I have had a hard time finding the right exercise program/routine), then I know where I need to improve. If I'm not doing good on something I use the note box on my food log to remind myself of what I need to be cautious of and work to change my problem areas (drinking more water is just one of my problem areas and getting more exercise is another).

I'm very appreciative of the post I've read, I have learned some really good things ~ thanks!

Wishing everyone the best :smile:

Christine
  • SRB8710
    Options
    I've only burned over 1000cals twice. Both times I was cracked out on CRAZE and pushed myself to the limit between weights and cardio.

Both times I ended up worse for wear.

My diary is stupidly honest. If I eat 3000cals over my daily allowance, I log it. Its embarrassing as hell, but that's what makes me accountable.

Whats the point of lying? Your only letting yourself down, and looking like a fool to everyone else when in 6 months your still putting up fake pics cuz your still a fat *kitten*.

YUP! It is embarrassing but I have logged bad days too. It happens to us all! I really make sure I log everything when I go out to eat. And that is SCARY! :noway:
  • SRB8710
    Options
    If people are inflating their exercise burn it is a real shame, but in the end they are only hurting themselves. I for one only want to surround myself with those being truthful. One can not advance in life if they are not truth with themselves and others. I need to have respect for those I look to for inspiration and advice.

Reading through these post I see some making light of those who log every thing (even folding laundry).... This is my first week on MFP and I log EVERYTHING (maybe not folding laundry, but cleaning the house yes) because I want to know where I am with food and exercise (due to some major surgeries due to cancer I have had a hard time finding the right exercise program/routine), then I know where I need to improve. If I'm not doing good on something I use the note box on my food log to remind myself of what I need to be cautious of and work to change my problem areas (drinking more water is just one of my problem areas and getting more exercise is another).

I'm very appreciative of the post I've read, I have learned some really good things ~ thanks!

Wishing everyone the best :smile:

Christine

I don't put cleaning house or chores as some do. I even had someone once log 15 calories for driving to work. My theory is I wasn't losing weight before when I was doing these things so I won't log it now. I just think of those as a little bit extra calories but never log them.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I recently got a HRM and started using it. Before that, I imagine I was "lying" on my exercise but not intentionally. MFP overestimates exercise calories by a lot. Today I was wearing my HRM while I push mowed part of the yard. It showed 418 calories burned. I looked it up in MFP's database and for the same amount of time, it showed 938. So more than double.
    A good point:-) I have noted that the cardiac machines at the gym lie on calories burned. I used to believe it until I started using a heart monitor. The treadmill overestimates by a hundred or so. The stair climber is more accurate but still overestimates but 30-40.

I myself try to strive to burn 700 calories when I exercise, but had 2 work my way to it. I have been trying to lose x 1.5 years but only on mfp since last November.
  • SRB8710
    Options
    MFP calorie counter is off? It matched perfectly with my Stamina4825 bike. So I'm not actually burning 500 calories in an hour of hard intervals?

You might be! MFP can be off with its calories for cardio but, I have found when I ride a stationary bike the calories are the closest to what I really burn. If you are doing a hard hour then you may be burning that many! :happy: Good for you.
  • shortmomma81
    Options
    Completely agree, about time somebody said it.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I agree, there is no normal , regular way people burn 800 plus calories each day....think the site is just a bit off when it calculates it in some cases....I tend to just say I do 20 or 30 minutes of tennis or crossfit verses the 2 hours as it comes up with numbers that are way too far off..

I don't know, I don't have too much trouble burning 1000 calories a day between a morning and an evening workout.
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Instead of annoying me I'm actually grateful I don't have to exercise like crazy or become crazy obsessive over working out just to lose weight :)
    I kind of feel bad for them if they really have to put that much effort in. How the heck do you keep that kind of intensity up forever?
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I do not care if people lie!
    I post for myself.
    I am true for myself
  • sav3175
    sav3175 Posts: 47
    Options
    Alot of the times i'll put fewer cal burned i dont go up so i guess i would put myself in the honest user :)