Do you count mowing?

Options
2»

Replies

• SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM once when mowing, and burned 1100+ cals. This was 1/2 acre with hills and the grass was knee high, but I wasn't going to let that get away.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have a hilly yard and a mower thats not self propelled so its a good 45 minute workout. I have my activity level set to active because I'm on my feet nonstop for 4 hours a day at work. If I mow on top of being at work on my feet for 4 hours (and usually the gym in the morning before that), then I'll log mowing the lawn. If I haven't been at work, I don't log the mowing--I figure that even things out for not being as active at work. I was rounding down the calories burned when I used mfp's database, now I finally have a hrm.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I do! My hard is hilly and on the larger size. Plus my mower is not self-propelled!

YARD..not hard....where is my mind at tonight?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I count it but don't use it towards it towards eating back calories
  • barefoot_shuffler
    Options
    Heck yes!!! It takes me 2-3 hours to use a push mower and we have a hilly back yard...I burn between 900-1200 calories! (And I feel it!) :)
  • fruitlessbanana
    Options
    Hell yes. Unless you're sitting on a riding mower and eat cake at the same time. Then, no.

I don't know why, but I found this really funny. I decided to count it even though I feel it looks weird when it says for my exercise " mowing lawn, general" ha, but thanks for answering everyone!
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    It's included in my "lightly active" setting, so I don't count it as extra exercise.
  • Nimrod2010
    Nimrod2010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you don't think using a push mower is exercise, come to my house and mow my neighbor's and my own house (which I do weekly) and tell me after over 2 hours if you didn't get a workout and burn any calories!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is giving you a workout and you don't do it everyday!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Yes that's good exercise
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I do! My hard is hilly and on the larger size. Plus my mower is not self-propelled!

Thinking of me!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    yes, because I've only done it 4 times lol and it makes me sweaty
  • hmoffatt
    hmoffatt Posts: 51
    Options
    I think you're getting sweaty mostly from the heat and vibration of the mower. You're not actually getting that much exercise pushing the mower around an average sized block, you are pretty much just walking!
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I count it. It says I burn 700 Cal in 2 hours. If I didn't count it, I'd be losing weight. I'm doing a slow, clean bulk, so I can't have that!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'M ABOUT TO! My husband broke his arm yesterday and now I have to mow the lawn. Normally I wouldn't mind, but when we bought the mower, he insisted on a PUSH MOWER! And we have a corner lot with lots of grass. I think I'll do it when the sun goes down. Push mower in 100 degrees F with the hot sun beating down on you is not my idea of a good time. But I am wearing my hrm and logging it. If it gives me enough extra calories for a few beers afterwards, I plan to use those calories!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Big mystery?......https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HI-ltL_uXaE&t=0
  • roeann53
    roeann53 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Pusher not rider, ABSOLUTELY!! It is exercise! (my husband doesn't let me mow any more, he wants to burn the calories :happy: )

:laugh: This comment made me smile. My husband and I used to argue about this.. he couldn't 'get' that I viewed mowing as a great exercise and kept wanting to hire someone as we have a very steep hill on one side and a slighter hill on the other side. I use an electric mower, I tried an old fashioned push mower (no gas or electric) but it wouldn't cut the grass very well. It probably needs to be sharpened but there's no place around here to take it to.
  • erillyn
    erillyn Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hell yes. Unless you're sitting on a riding mower and eat cake at the same time. Then, no.

Bwahaha, I had to laugh at this because it sounds like something my fiance would want to do!

But damn right I would count mowing as an exercise!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Hell to the yes!! I have almost an acre, push mower, yes self propelled, but that doesn't stop me from being sweaty and sore afterward. I have DOMS the next day for godsake! So yes, BUT, I don't log more than 60 minutes, even though it takes me at least 2 hours to do the whole yard...it just seems like too many cals...so to be safe, I just log 60 minutes.