My best run ever!!

Options
joehempel
joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
Last Saturday I went for a 16 mile run, and had to be picked up, utterly failed due to heat exhaustion. It was pretty mentally debilitating as my marathon is only 8 weeks away at this point.

This week I went out and tried the same route with renewed energy, but still cautious.

It was about 13 degrees cooler and had some light rain falling. I went out slower than last week trying to bank miles at a slower pace in order to feel a bit better mid-run and towards the end.

The first 3 miles ended up being, 10:17, 10:30, and and 10:13. However once mile 4 happened my pace picked up a bit un-intentionally. Miles 4-9 were just about all under 10 minutes a miles. 9:46, 9:53, 9:46, 10:12, 9:56, 9:54.

I really didn't realize this was happening as ALL of the hills I had problems with the first time were no problem today. In fact, I didn't even walk until I made myself stop for some water at mile 11. That's the longest I've run without walking ever.

That probably ended up being my biggest mistake. I had thought that by grabbing water, and walking for a minute that I would be able to recover some to make the last 5 miles go better. They didn't really go better, but they didn't go any worse either until the very end.

I did get caught at around mile 12.5 where one of the roads took a turn up a steep hill and I ended up walking most of it.

The problem came in when I was walking up the hill a bit that my calves started to seize up a bit. So the next few miles were between 10:53 and 11:27. I was able to pick it up after that to get my pace back down to 10:30 where my legs started to feel really sore the last mile back up to 11:12.

Either way, I'm incredibly happy with this run. It's obvious that a 4:30 marathon might be out of reach for me right now, but who knows.

Here are the mile splits:

10:17
10:30
10:13
09:46
09:53
09:46
10:12
09:56
09:54
10:43
10:22
10:53
11:32
11:27
10:29
11:12
02:06 <--Last .21 miles

I'm pretty happy. While I was sore when I was done, I felt better than I did on my 15 mile run. It wasn't my fastest by any means, and it wasn't meant to be. But I ran longer than ever without a walk break, and I ran my furthest mileage yet!

Here's the link to my run! I should add that I didn't stop the timer at lights or street crossings, so my avg pace may have well been faster.
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/222065054/11527425

Replies

• MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Great run! Nice consistent miles. You're gonna do awesome on your marathon.
  • juliamamann
    Options
    Wow you are rocking it! Isn't it funny how runs can one day be horrible and then another day be amazing? So important to remember this. I admire you for training for a marathon! You will be in a very elite group of people! Congrats!
  • barefoot_shuffler
    Options
    Phenomenal!!! I hope to someday try a full marathon :) You are going to rock!!!
  • ltowns11
    ltowns11 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Fabulous run you race will be even better!!!!
  • mattdog02
    mattdog02 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great Run, Keep it up!! You are very ready for the marathon
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • joehempel
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It was a great feeling Was sore after, and along the coo down walk back my calves and hammies seized up, but a soak and some time with that torture device they call a massage roller helped a ton!

Waking up this morning feeling good and going to get a nice easy 5-6 miles in this evening.
  • Slatzuk
    Slatzuk Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Great job.

It is only your best run ever until your next one, you will get better and better.
  • joehempel
    Options
    Thanks!! I'm hoping that's the way it will go!

I'm getting excited and quite nervous about this whole marathon coming up!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    nice run! you've got 8 weeks til the marathon - i'm sure you'll rock it :)
  • foody44
    foody44 Posts: 21
    Options
    Fantastic job!!! I hope to be able to run a Full Marathon one day too. My next goal is to conquer a Half. Happy you had a good run today :) Keep pushing on!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!