Getting Disability for Depression???

Options

Replies

• TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It's comments like this that make people afraid or embarassed to seek help for mental illness ...

You shouldn't judge ... I am visually impaired (legally blind due to a genetic condition called Stargardt's, which is similar to AR Macular Degeneration) ... People can be really rude about it, just because I don't use a cane or have a seeing eye dog (which I would qualify for), wear fashionable sunglasses instead of medical grade ones (too much light, especially sun and flouresent hurts my eyes), and try to "blend in" with normal sighted people (though when I take out one of my magnifying aides, then that kind of gives it away, lol) doesn't mean anything ... Just because a person doesn't have a visible disability, doesn't mean they don't have one ...
  • ellenasl210
    ellenasl210 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that the government is starting to take mental health issues seriously. However, I'm not really a supporter of any type of government money aid. I know how important it is, but I can't get the thought out of my mind that I'm busting my *kitten* at work and they're getting my hard-earned money doing little to nothing.

And I have suffered with multiple mental health issues throughout my life, and I'm only 18. I really have to fight some days, but I do it. So I guess I don't understand... to each his own.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for depression but I have a friend who gets disability for being obese. In my eyes she can get up and lose the weight but everyone is not willing and able to do that. Now I applied for disability when I got diagnosed with Luekemia in 2009. They turned me down saying I didn't have a debilitating disease. Not to mention I have a disabled child that for as long as she live she will never be able to walk talk or feed herself. Yet to them I wasn't needy, but I didn't cry about and I continued to work and take care of my child while doing chemo. I just finished another 6 month round of chemo and I worked through it all. We all have our crosses to bear and only god can be the true judge. I like to believe that the man upstairs knew I was wrong enough and here I am 4 years later still living.

See, this is the problem. If you can get disability for something like depression, then you should be able to get it if you have cancer, especially if you have a disabled child. You are a survivor ma'am. Awesome for you.

I just think we should be trying to FIX the problem. That money could be spent on intensive inpatient treatment. I had a professor in college who discussed this topic. It was a Drugs and Society class. After taking his class I have a whole different perspective on America's treatment of mental disorders. Instead of trying to help we medicate and put bandaids just to keep making money off of people's suffering. Disability for obesity? I guess it pays more to keep a person motivated to stay obese so doctors are guaranteed thousands of dollars by the time this person dies.

I'm not trying to judge, but I am entitled to my opinion. I had no idea that depression could be so crippling. Like I said I watched my brother spiral in it. He was hospitalized for a month, medicated and sedated; he used to tell me demons were following him. I cried for him quite a bit. After awhile he got some newer aged treatment, starting exercising, and now he's in college and going to work. I guess that's why I didn't empathize with the woman, because I saw my brother fight it and come out on top.

I am glad I asked. I learned something new. It still makes me uneasy, but that's probably because there are theoretical practices that could be tried. But every situation is a different case, so I don't know.

You don't know what kind of treatments she's undergoing at the moment, how many she's tried before, how long she's been doing it, if her previous medication stopped working for her (it happens), if her psych wanted to exhaust SSRI class medications before trying SNRI medications, if she's currently trying to get a job that has a schedule that will work for her (because going from 0 to a 40+ hour work week is seriously overwhelming), if she's taking a break from working to allow herself to focus on her mental health recovery, and on, and on, and on. I sure as anything wouldn't be sharing those details with my neighbours.

(And no, as someone with depression that responds to no treatment but medication (and lord knows I've tried), medication is not a bandaid. Medication is effectively my insulin. The technology to permanently fix what is wrong with my brain is a long way off.)

Hell, even recovery is hard work. "Crap, I still feel bad. This is the xth medication I'm taking and it's still not working, I'm a failure, nothing is going to work for me, why am I even trying, I'm just wasting everyone's time and money, just because I'm thinking bad things about myself doesn't mean they're wrong and attributable to depression, f this I'm just going to sleep for the rest of the day," is a thought pattern I've been through multiple times, and I know I'm not the only person.

Not to mention, if she's the sole caretaker for a minor, even if she can financially afford to be hospitalized long enough to set up an effective long-term treatment plan, she might not be able to have her kid watched for that long. My parents might have left me alone for a few days when I was 16, but I sure as anything can't imagine them leaving me alone for a month+. Given that most medications take several weeks to start showing effects, and several are contraindicated, meaning she would have to be fully weaned off one before starting another, this could take several months of inpatient treatment, as opposed to her simply taking these medications at home where she can keep an eye on her kid.

TL;DR 1) depression can be seriously crippling, 2) given how tightfisted disability services are, someone far more qualified than you has certainly determined that hers is such a case, and 3) it can take a very, very long time to find a treatment that allows one to get back into normal adult life.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    OP, I'll just add this as well. It's extremely difficult to get approved for social security disability these days. It's a downright battle to be honest. Someone that's receiving these benefits, not only had the burden to prove their impairment(s) were severe enough to prevent them from working for at least 12 consecutive months, they must also periodically prove that they remain unable to work and have not had significant improvement. These benefits are not handed out willy nilly as some people seem to think.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    There's no need for name calling because a lot of people have mental issues. Anyway, severe depression is crippling, and a mental disorder that warrants a disability check from the government.
  • marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    @ budgie

That's true. I really don't know what all she has tried. However, there are some things about her that kinda tells me she hasn't exhausted all avenues. And I'm very sorry you've had such a battle with depression. See, in my mind I always saw depression as something that has to be overcome, not like an actual DISEASE. to me it's like cancer, a very bad disease that you can either succomb to or survive. Is that a bad analogy to have. With the way some of the posters sound it seems like depression can be something lifelong that can't be cured.

@lenora

Loo! Oh trust me, I know. I'm not someone who believes that people can easily scan the system to get money, or that the to government is handing out assistance like it's a free for all. And that's not even the point of the thread. Basically when she told me she was on disability I didn't know if she meant government or job related disability. Either way to me it doesn't matter. I just figured it would be money better spent if it was spent on better treatment, and not just on some psychiatrist trying to milk the person for as long as they can. I know not all psychiatrists are like that, but how is she getting help to get over her illness? Is the psychiatrist really doing their patient justice by doing this?
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Well I can see you have never ever dealt with depression. Depression is crippling, it can make you desperate, it can make you not want to get out of bed. It is not just a made up thing, I think anyone suffering from severe depression deserves to get disability while they work with doctors to improve their mental state.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Just because it feels relevant...

c7_pet_depression.jpg
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM00356
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    @ budgie

That's true. I really don't know what all she has tried. However, there are some things about her that kinda tells me she hasn't exhausted all avenues. And I'm very sorry you've had such a battle with depression. See, in my mind I always saw depression as something that has to be overcome, not like an actual DISEASE. to me it's like cancer, a very bad disease that you can either succomb to or survive. Is that a bad analogy to have. With the way some of the posters sound it seems like depression can be something lifelong that can't be cured.

I like to compare chronic major depressive disorder to diabetes. It's usually a lifelong condition (although depression's severity can fluctuate). Untreated, it can do a serious number on you, even kill you. It can go undetected for quite some time, it can show up at different ages, and some people are better at sticking to the necessary regimens for managing it than others. Some people can manage it non-medicinally, while others need medications all their life, and some people might be able to manage it non-medicinally but find it safer/easier/more comfortable to manage it with medication. None of these choices are the wrong ones, so long as they take care of themselves and are healthy.

She might not have tried all her options. Unfortunately, depression is pretty good at making trying seem futile. If that is the case, I sincerely hope she finds the drive to find a solution, for her own sake.
  • Jason_7784
    Jason_7784 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Having suffered from depression for nearly 15 years I can tell you, yes, it can be crippling. It's hard for people who don't suffer from things like this to imagine. Someone who is clinically depressed walks around in a sort of daze all the time. All thoughts turn to the negative and a lot of people contemplate suicide. For some people it is literally impossible to pull themselves out of it. It becomes such a huge part of your life that it literally makes it impossible to work.

There are, however, some people who try to game the system. Fortunately when you apply for disability based on a mental health issue you have to go see psychiatrists who are hired and paid by the Social Security Administration. Those guys are VERY thorough and even a lot of people who have a legitimate claim will be denied benefits. It's very hard to get approved without having a proven disability than prevents you from working. On average it takes people 4-6 years to get approved for disability benefits.
  • marilynx
    Options
    Well I can see you have never ever dealt with depression. Depression is crippling, it can make you desperate, it can make you not want to get out of bed. It is not just a made up thing, I think anyone suffering from severe depression deserves to get disability while they work with doctors to improve their mental state.

No, you don't SEE anything. You have no idea where I've come from, or what I've dealt with when it comes to depression. So no, you don't SEE a thing. Obviously it's not a made up thing. *rolls eyes*

So what I have taken from this is, depression widely ranges. It isn't like a physical ailment where you're EXPECTED to get better with treatment necessarily. When I have time I'm going to look at the science behind depression. Maybe if I understand more scientifically how depression works when it comes to neurotransmitters misfiring then maybe I will understand it better. I appreciate everyone who took the time to explain it to me. I'm sure it can be frustrating doing so when it makes sense to you and the person asking still doesn't seem to get it. To me though, if you're on disability, then you can no longer take care of yourself financially without somebody else. That's a very scary place to be at, which is why I'm just like wooow. It can get THAT bad.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Marilyn, I guess I don't know what you are asking. In your first post you ask "isn't this a waste of money?" And then your last one you say " I just figured it would be money better spent if it was spent on better treatment." I'm not sure who's money you are referring to. Are you referring to her benefits that's she's using to live off of? Are you advocating that people not receive the benefits to which they are entitled to based on meeting the legal definition and the non- medical criteria such as working long enough and recently enough and paying FICA so they have this coverage if they should need it? Who decides what "better treatment" is? You, her neighbor? The government? I just don't understand where your thought process is going on this.

There a lot of flaws in our conventional medical system, trust me you don't want to get me started on those. :). But severe depression or Major Depressive Disorder is at the root of many other very severe medical and psychological disorders and it can prevent someone from being able to keep a job in the competitive labor market.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    You are right Marilyn, the severity, and the duration, as well as response to treatment can vary greatly. :)
  • marilynx
    Options
    Ok, let me better clarify:

She is getting money to live off of. I don't know how much, and it really doesn't matter. I'm saying, would t that money be better spent on treatment instead of letting her continue to live with something so dibilitating? I'm coming from a "help her get better" perspective, but as I can see, it might not be that simple.

And I'm saying she receive benefits that will HELP her, not continue to perpetuate her condition. I really don't want this to sway in the direction of whether she QUALIFIES for living assistance, because I cannot speak intelligently on that. Obviously she qualifies because she has it. My point was should that money she QUALIFIED for be used to help her get better, and not just let her pay her bills and let her continue to live with depression. As far as better treatment, I can't say what better treatment is. The only way for her to know would be for her to try them, but as a PP said, trying is not that simple, and I can remember from my depression days I often didn't want to try to do anything. So I'm sure compounding that times 100 and you may not be fit for treatment.

I'm sorry if I'm not coming off clear. I hope I clarified myself.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    As a schizo on medication who currently cannot work I take mild offence to that.

But to the point of the thread, yes clinical depression can be crippling to the point where a person cannot work. Is it really your place to be judging the veracity of someone else's mental illness?

Do you have personal experience with it, or...?

I'm very sorry. I shortened the work out of sheer laziness. I will go back and fix it.

And yes I do. I was clinically depressed for a long time. So was my brother. He was hospitalized because of it, and on meds. But disability was never offered to him to help. My mom has a mental disorder, that I will not disclose. But no disability. I was just wondering is all. I have mental illness rampant in my family, but disability for it? It still doesn't seem right.

Think about this. Most people, right, get something out of work.

Even if it's a crappy job, they're bored, they don't like their boss, they get something.

Money. Credibility in the eyes of society. Regular exposure to peers, even friends; some kind of affiliation, anyway. If they're lucky, actual pleasure, and/or a sense of reward, from the actual job they do. If not lucky, at the very least, they get a sense of structure (not to say 'purpose').

The person you're talking about is not engaging in any of that, and is taking on a much smaller, probably more isolated life*. Why would someone do something like that?

*and also probably dealing with shame around not working and whatever in the whole history of their lives is driving the depression, right?
  • Parmcat
    Parmcat Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am a 22 year psych nurse, and have dealt with and have suffered from depression.

This thread is a prime example of how far out of touch society is with mental illness.

Sad
  • marilynx
    Options
    The waste of money was me thinking of it's not helping her overcome her condition then it must be a waste. But I hadn't even thought about how hard it is to go back to work after or during treatment. It was hard for me to go to school when I was in treatment, so having to make money to support yourself and child has got to be incredibly stressful. So in that sense, maybe helping her get by is part of her treatment, because it helps take a major burden off herself.

See why it's good to ask questions? You might get your head bitten off repeatedly but at least you gain important incite on what it's like to be in that person's shoes. I see things a bit more differently now. I just watched a documentary on the brain. A woman was suffering from depression so crippling you could see it in her face. She is better now, actually went on to get her phD in psychology, but you could still see the wear on her face. It reminded me of my brother. Very scary.

I hope the woman gets better, I really do. I can't imagine they level of pain.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have borderline personality disorder, which is more extreme than just depression because I get depression with it, and I'm on disability.
    YES.
    It is so crippling you can't work, at times. You've clearly never been depressed. When you have depression, which by the way is NOT all in your head or just feeling sad about something that happened, it is a clinical and CHRONIC issue, sometimes you can't even get out of bed.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    As a schizo on medication who currently cannot work I take mild offence to that.

But to the point of the thread, yes clinical depression can be crippling to the point where a person cannot work. Is it really your place to be judging the veracity of someone else's mental illness?

Do you have personal experience with it, or...?

I'm very sorry. I shortened the work out of sheer laziness. I will go back and fix it.

And yes I do. I was clinically depressed for a long time. So was my brother. He was hospitalized because of it, and on meds. But disability was never offered to him to help. My mom has a mental disorder, that I will not disclose. But no disability. I was just wondering is all. I have mental illness rampant in my family, but disability for it? It still doesn't seem right.

I

You don't get "offered" disability. YOu apply for it and wait months to see if you qualify and a lot of the times you dont the first time. And EVERY PERSON IS DIFFERENT. Great for you, you are able to work. Now shut up about all of us who can't because we aren't quite there yet. I've tried working. I get fired or quit impulsively because of my disorder. Meds dont work for me.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I left my last job because of my depression.
    I wasn't able to leave my home for 3 weeks because of my level of anxiety (meaning my mental inability to cope with reality, my most severe depressive episodes as a teenager brought on psychosis and I have to manage myself properly as an adult to avoid setting any of that crap off).
    I never applied for disability. I just started writing articles for clients and now hide behind my computer.
    I don't believe in getting disability for anyone with a mental illness.
    For those with severe illnesses the money gives them a chance to make things worse for themselves.

I say these things through my experiences, and mine alone.
This discussion has been closed.