Heart Rate Too High?

Options
I have high blood pressure and very high cholesterol (was almost at 200 last time i went to the doctor about 2 years ago) that is hereditary in the family. I by no means can afford the medicine im supposed to take but when i last saw my doctor she told me if i lost weight it could fix both of those. However, as i've been checking my heart rate after every exercise i've noticed that its always very high. This last time it was 220 and i was only doing a light jog for 13 minutes, took a 10 minute break, and then did another 14 minute light jog. My resting heart rate is on average 110. I dont think thats okay, but i was hoping for some insight on this and maybe advice on what to do. I have no health insurance and cant afford to go to a doctor and find out myself.

Replies

• SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    How did you measure your HR? Were you wearing a monitor, did you use the machine at the gym or did you do the pulse/stopwatch thing?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Did your doc give you a clean bill of health with your heart, etc other than the weight? Also, how about your diet, does it tend to be high in salt or sodium? This could maybe help explain some of your high blood pressure
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would look up low cost clinics to go to. There are medication for high cholesterol that is as cheap as $4 a month. If your heart rate really is 220 after light exercise, you might not be able to afford to not go to the doctor. (i.e. dying due to a heart condition is more costly than a doctor visit)
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    I would get a physical exam first, I'm all for the low cost clinics for basic stuff. Get the cholesterol, BP followed up on and have them evaluate your heart. In the meantime I would continue walking and keeping things at a slower pace, with short intervals of speed to increase the HR. The heart is an incredible organ and even actual heart attack victims can go on to become well conditioned athletes. But until you know, better to be safe and do long, slow workouts, watch your diet really close and up the water, decreasing caffeine which can also elevate the HR, as can some OTC and prescription medicines. Search the AHA for their heart diet or cholesterol diet recommendations to see how to start... maybe you can't do it all at once, but every bit counts. The diet alone can be a huge factor... also, ummm, might wanna nix smoking and/or pollutant exposure if those are factors. Basically you have to start at the beginning, be safe - get the all clear, then teach your heart how to handle the workload you are putting on it, by increasing that load easily and intermittently so it can get stronger - it is a muscle you have to condition just like the rest of your body, but so much more important because we have to depend on it for our lives.
  • dta4ever
    dta4ever Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That number sounds too high. You really need to see a physician. You don't want to cause permanent damage.
  • KadenSmile
    KadenSmile Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm actually wondering a similar thing, but my cholesterol and everything is totally fine. My resting HR is about 105-110, and when I work out it goes up to 160ish for light workouts, and 180ish for hard workouts... This just seems way too high to me.

I have been to the Doc and have gotten a clean bill of health, except for my BMI and mental health stuff, I am totally fine.

Any thoughts?

:)