Failed yet again :(, why can't i stick with it :(

Options
So, don't know where to start really. I have problems holding on and than it goes from better to worse.

August last year i decided to start living healthy after boozing for years, bad food, smoking, drugs. I quitted everything and started working out with 5ft6 sw 100kilo (220lbs) it was very hard but i stuck with it and after the first month i lost 5 kilo 11lbs, was walking the right road after the second month i lost my job and found out my ex cheated.

I got back in a (as i call it) "i don't give a **** mode" started drinking again, eating badly and got back in terrible shape.

April first 2013 started again (did some attempts before that but they failed) Again was going good a couple months then a friend of mine died suddenly at age 35 in his sleep, he also had a bad lifestyle with alot of boozing. That woke me up a couple weeks but 2 weeks ago my stephdad died and last week the government made some mistakes which ends in that i have to pay more money for insurance and i already living of a budget of €50,- a week, due to my homeless/alcoholic past i have depth and will be living on a budget the coming years.

Then i got really frustrated, everything i tried the last 13 years seem to fail, i'am trying to fix my past and do everything they ask me to do and yet i get screwed over.

So with a 100 things on my mind i start drinking again and eating **** food and get back into that mood of not caring about anything.

So i gained frikking 4,5 kilo (9,9lbs) and weighing now at my heaviest ever 104,5kilo (230,3lbs). oO

And then some people say, stay positive, well it is really hard to stay positive without family, kids, wife or good friends, every step i take in my life i fall 3 back, tough luck i have.

Then i see people here and on a tumblr blog where people post their before and after photo's and alot of people alot bigger than me and they stuck with it, got so much respect for them but i also think, damn!! why can't i do this.

Replies

• RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Everyone has setbacks and challenges. You're talking as if you were the only one; you're feeling sorry for yourself' and your cultivating an attitude of hopelessness and irresponsibility. Bad stuff happens because that's life. You don't have "bad luck," and you're not getting "screwed over." It happens to everyone. There are totally together people with surprising messed up life circumstances who don't blame not getting their lives together on girlfriends that cheat and people that die (frankly, no one would have it together if that was the case). You can't stick with it because you choose not to. It's time to grow up and take responsibility for your life and your choices.
  • Mickeyriv
    Mickeyriv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It seems like you have gotten into the habit of self-medicating during stressful times with food, alcohol and in the past, drugs. I have done similar things my whole life. Our food addictions look very different, but are also similar. And it sounds like you've experienced some really difficult things recently, and maybe without a good support system of friends/family. I've been there too. You have to learn to care enough about YOU, to love yourself (I know that sounds corny, dumb, but it's also true) enough that you'll one day reach a point where you're too important to hurt yourself like that. Life is a long adventure, a learning process. And you're not always going to get it right or do the right thing or make the best choices but when that happens you also need to learn how to pick yourself up, forgive yourself for your mistakes, and carry on. Start fresh. Each time you fall down is another opportunity to get back up and get it right. You seem like a wonderful person and I always like your comments. Please keep trying.
  • 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You can do this, you just have to convince yourself that you can, make it your focus above all else. Don't look to the past and question the why, just learn from it and don't repeat the pattern. When you stumble over the ruts in life, instead of coping with alcohol to forget, instead pick up an exercise and when your feeling that low go exercise. Such as mine is running. I was totally focused and dropped 73 pounds in a year. I had quite a few stressors and gained 20 back, but now when I am feeling stressed I run which has become my meditation for that amount of time I can clear my head and focus on absolutely noting else but breathing and
    Putting one foot in front of the other. Good luck you can do this!!!!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Hello there! First of all you aren't failing because you get back up and try again and that's bigger than anything else. It's a hard road making a change in your lifestyle. I've had to start over more times than I can remember and I'm the happiest yet. It sounds like hurt and anger get you started down the wrong path what changed for me was I focused my hurt and anger on beating on my body. I would walk until the point of exhaustion then when I could afford it I'd go to the gym and work my muscles and use the elliptical so my muscles would feel used and abused. Once I was so physically exhausted my body didn't want the bad things and I found myself wanted something to refuel me so I'd shower and have a healthy meal. That wasn't a success, I'd fall again and have to get up again and start over. What I learned each time was that I had to start with exercise, the rest of the healthy lifestyle came together after the exercise was a routine. I hope you find the right path for you and get stronger each day. I'm here if you need someone e to listen or kick you in the butt.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm not an endocrinologist, nor am I an expert, but I am having similar issues as you.

The stresses of life keep reaching up and pulling you back to rely on the things that helped you cope before. The problem is you are using alcohol to help cope.

Alcohol in and of itself is NOT an awful substance, when it's used in moderation. If you drink heavily, more than a few times a week, what you start to see is your liver becomes specialized in burning acetate, the byproduct of ethanol oxidation in the liver. Ethanol is a toxin that must be processed immediately.

Ethanol is metabolized by the body as an energy-providing nutrient, as it metabolizes into acetyl CoA, an intermediate common with glucose and fatty acid metabolism.

During the metabolism of alcohol in the liver, NAD (Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) is converted into reduced NAD.

Normally, NAD is used to metabolize fats in the liver, and as such alcohol competes with these fats for the use of NAD. Prolonged exposure to alcohol means that fats accumulate in the liver, leading to the term 'fatty liver'.

Continued consumption (such as in alcoholism) then leads to cell death in the hepatocytes as the fat stores reduce the function of the cell to the point of death. These cells are then replaced with scar tissue, leading to the condition called cirrhosis.

----

In english, the more you use alcohol, the more your liver specializes in using ethanol as fuel for your cells, meaning anything you eat while your liver is processing alcohol gets stored. Throughout a normal day, eating a balanced meal of carbs, fats, and proteins would show you a metabolic picture like this:

The carbs are assimilated first, and the simple glucose is sent into the bloodstream where insulin will help shuttle the glucose to everywhere it needs to go in the body. While insulin is elevated in the body, fat processing in the liver ceases. The fatty acids you just ate can't just hang around, they are sent into the bloodstream, where they enter your fat cells, sort of like a frequently used locker.

After the body's supplies of glucose are depleted, the fatty acids that just got stored are removed from your fat cells, and chained with proteins in your liver.. Your liver essentially CREATES glucose for cellular fuel.

If you drink, the duration that your liver is processing ethanol means that by your next meal, all the calories nutrients you ate while drinking haven't been used by your next meal, and you'll see a calorie accumulation.

If you drink constantly, fat deposits will build up in the liver, making it much less efficient. You need your liver to be operating at 100% if you want to see maximum bodyfat loss. The liver is what takes the fatty acids out of your fat cells, if it's not worth a damn then you'll have trouble seeing consistent weight loss.

Alcohol consumption on a large scale also shows hormonal changes, the kinds men do not want to see. If you drink a SIGNIFICANT amount, well over 4 or 5 drinks, you'll see testosterone levels decrease for about a day or two before they return to baseline.

No studies have been conducted on chronic alcohol users to determine if this depressed testosterone production is diminished in people with greater tolerance, and no data exists or is known if long term alcohol use causes a chronic suppression of serum testosterone levels.

All in all, you need to find another way to let out your stress and cope with life. You can't stop drinking cold turkey without seeing physiological and psychological effects, but taper it off, keep your mind on the idea that it's not the best thing, and see how long you can go without consuming alcohol. having a drink on the weekends is fine, but "getting drunk" is JUST like being overweight, and having excessive, 5,000 calorie cheat meals.

You won't get very far in repairing your liver or dropping body fat when you're binging, no matter what you ingest, whether it's food or alcohol.

Is there any way you can find something else to help take your mind off things, ways to healthily cope?
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    You didn't fail if you keep trying. This road is never going to be a straight line. Otherwise, so many people wouldn't be struggling so much with it! You are not alone, and you are not failing. Do not try to force your life around a weight loss plan. Build a weight loss plan around your life. And don't beat yourself up if things don't go perfectly. As long as you keep putting effort in, you are making progress. To me, a lot of this sounds like a lot of mental conflict because you have lost weight before. The most important thing is to not give up. Remember that you want this. As cheesy as it is, find some motivational quotes that really speak to you and say them to yourself when you're feeling down. Be prepared to battle that doubtful voice in your head. That's the toughest part of the journey. The rest will come much easier if you can do that.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I dealt with addiction myself when I was younger and my husband has recently. If you are more prone to addiction it does seem to make things a bit more difficult because you always want to fall back into old habits to make you feel differently. The best advice I can give is to not change that feeling. Embrace that feeling. It's the first step to controlling it instead of suppressing it. Coming out of a dark moment without any help is the most amazing feeling and being able to call on that will help you do it over and over again. Darkest before the dawn, remember. Even if bad things happen around you, if you have control of yourself (which is the only thing in this world we can control), it will make it easier to get through those bad things. Good luck with everything!
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    @Robyn, you are right in some degree but saying to me that i am talking like i am the only one with this is something you have no idea off.
    I spend years in homeless shelters, had to sleep from anywhere of 6 to 80 people on one room so i know that i am not the only one, sure people have sadbacks but most people have not lived in the bottom of society so just assuming things from your perspective is to easy to say and yes i had alot of bad luck and yes i did get screwed over by institutions and more than once.

For example, this is what happened last week, my insurance cost €106,50 and for the last 2 years that is paid by socials services, they made a mistake which resulted in that i am 4 months behind, now a institution that keeps track of insurances is fining me for 130% plus i need to pay 4 months that i am behind which was the fault of social services. Now my guess is you will come with a smart remark but how is this my fault? How is this not bad luck and how is this not i am getting screwed over? And i have alot of these examples, i am doing my best to fix everything so don't even start about being irresponsible, your right about one thing, i do feel sorry for myself at times, at least i admit it ;)

Circumstances i went through don't happen to everyone and i know for a fact that most people never choose to have that life, its a chain reaction. Being beat when you grow up and end up on the streets in teen years without family is irresponsibility?

I do get what you are saying but in my case you are totally off and would wish you would see things from my perspective because you have no idea what things can do with someones mind when living through that..

@Mickey, you are right i need to care about ME but i've been trying to find out how to do that for a while now and i have no clue what to do about that.

@4hotmama, you did great 73 pounds is alot even if you gained 20 back, respect, thanks for your kind words.

@dawn, you know what the shamefull part is, which also show how down i feel atm, i work as a vollunteer at the community gym, i got the key of the gym and can workout anytime i want :S

@siege, thanks for explaining, however, the worst thing i know exactly what it does with my body, before i end up on the streets i was studying to be a nurse and learned alot about the body but when i get in that state of mind i don't think about these things, i know exactly what to eat, how many cals i need, hr etc etc but my mind goes totally a different path.
    Don't know any ways to healthily cope, working out is probably a way but that just doesn't come to mind when i am feeling like that.

@aqua, i try not to give up but it so damn hard to do it alone, i got no people that are supportive, i love pets but currently where i rent a room pets are not allowed and they are a big influence in my life, it will take me now about a year before i get a house again and than i can take pets again which probably make me alot happier.

All with all, thanks everyone for the replies, i keep all your words in mind, i find it sometimes difficult to cope when people say certain things because i am trying to get out of that bad life style and i am working to fix my life but there are very little people here i sometimes read that actually know how it is to be really alone and than judge me from their perspective.

Tomorrow is a new week and will definitely try to eat and drink healthy because i know alcohol is killing me slowly, can't say much more about it.

:smile:
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Boo hoo hoo. Social services is screwing you over now? Do you even hear yourself? That's a hand out, but they aren't even doing right by you?

FYI: you don't know my background and what struggles I've gone through, or even how empathetic I am to other people's struggles. You don't know what my perspective is. I haven't had the most pleasant background either. Sexual abuse, domestic violence, teen homelessness etc., and I know people who have come out of way worse backgrounds (foster care system, prison, horrific abuse, and loss). I'm working my butt off right now and going into debt going through law school (about 100,000 worth) so that I can go into public interest law and help people who need help. I put my extra time into community volunteer work, and I plan on doing substantial pro bono work once I'm admitted to the bar.

There is a lot of injustice in the world, and people DO get jerked around. HOWEVER, I simply don't feed into anyone acting like a victim regardless of their circumstances. Life doesn't just happen to you. You make your own life.
  • RotterdamNL
    Options
    I indeed don't know your background and vice versa but i already did know you would come back with a comment like that, dealed with tons of people that come with denigrating replies.

Are you even reading correct, they are doing fine by me but they made a mistake that i get a penalty for.

i've spoken with tons of girls that were sexualy abused gone through domestic violence but never would i gave replies like you do, i would listen and would give a respectful answer.

Actually i didn't even wanted to read pass the boo hoo hoo because that already says enough about you for me but i've read the rest and you are so typical.

Just because you had it bad and you came out or coming out as a winner you don't have to act like a douche ;) not everyone can achive or getting chances to achive what you do.

It's like, at one point you had to tell about your abuse and past, what if people would only say to you, boohoohoo, or maybe they did and that is why you act like this.

As you see at the top of this page, this is motivation and support and you aren't giving either but thank you, you have acknowledged some of my thoughts :)

Anyways, do enjoy your week :)
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Some things in life can make it difficult to stay on track. If you've got personal issues affecting your life, the last thing you wanna be doing is dieting. If you're between homes, between jobs and stuff, I think it would be best not to worry so much about dieting. You need to get your basic needs met, first and foremost. I may be assuming about your situation, but if you're in that kind of situation, that's my take on it.

Recently, I was bullied at work by my boss with potentially serious repercussions, on top of needing surgery, so I was really stressed out a lot about a lot of things. The last thing I wanted to do was diet, so I stopped. I had too many other worries to be worried about my weight. And in some way, I think that -is- taking care of yourself. You're prioritizing your life. There are only so many issues one person can take at a time, so why create issues for yourself? When you have money issues, your weight doesn't seem like such a big deal, anymore.

However, I resolved those issues, and I got back to it. I was at a better place in my life, and I felt that I was able to continue. But while I was on hiatus, I was still trying to be somewhat healthy. I still tried to eat more vegetables than I used to, eat smaller portions and less junk food. If you're at a point in your life where you're dealing with too many other struggles, I wouldn't worry so much about sticking to a plan. However, I would keep in mind some basic principles that you want to apply to your diet. Adding or taking away certain types of food, adjusting amounts, things like that. And try to make decisions that way without logging everything. It'll keep your body healthier without the added stress of having to keep track of everything every day. And then when your life gets a little easier, it'll make it all the easier to start back up again when you're ready.

Best of luck.
  • RotterdamNL
    Options
    Yes you aer right.

My situation is alot more stable than it used to be, i got a stable roof above my head which is already a big thing, getting a paid job is very hard atm as we are in a recession and the work i got papers for those jobs are given to the people from the eastblock of europe as they work for half. But i do work as a volunteer, i work with the elderly 3 days in the week, 2 days at the animal shelter and one day at the community gym.

Money is going to be a issue for the coming years but than again i never had alot so i will manage, 9 out of 10 times its not the problem to start working out again and eating healthy but sticking with it. When i was younger and i got disappointments it didn't really effect me that much but lately it's been alot harder due some things that happened and having lived a certain life.

I am trying to break it and hoping i can stick with it one day.
  • awall1984
    awall1984 Posts: 42
    Options
    Boo hoo hoo. Social services is screwing you over now? Do you even hear yourself? That's a hand out, but they aren't even doing right by you?

FYI: you don't know my background and what struggles I've gone through, or even how empathetic I am to other people's struggles. You don't know what my perspective is. I haven't had the most pleasant background either. Sexual abuse, domestic violence, teen homelessness etc., and I know people who have come out of way worse backgrounds (foster care system, prison, horrific abuse, and loss). I'm working my butt off right now and going into debt going through law school (about 100,000 worth) so that I can go into public interest law and help people who need help. I put my extra time into community volunteer work, and I plan on doing substantial pro bono work once I'm admitted to the bar.

There is a lot of injustice in the world, and people DO get jerked around. HOWEVER, I simply don't feed into anyone acting like a victim regardless of their circumstances. Life doesn't just happen to you. You make your own life.

I find it unbelievable that a person can be so judgemental towards somebody they know nothing about. Obviously you, robin, are here at mfp for a reason. Some of us need more support than others. Maybe...just MAYBE he just wanted to hear some words of encouragment. For some people tragedies in their life take them down a deeper darker road than you or I could ever even imagine. Luckily the op has recognized that he does not want to go down that path and has been persistant about trying again, many times.

Why would you be so harsh? This is a forum for motivation and support, not a forum where we kick eachother while we are down.

@rotter- Im going through a bit of struggles myself. Its been hard but I have faith in you. Somebody else posted as a reply to me that although you can not control the curve balls thrown at you, you CAN control your reaction. Stay strong and stay positive, if I can do it ANYONE can! lol When life gets me down I grab my bag o mini hersheys and have at it, but not this time because although I can not control many other aspects of my sitiation, I CAN control what I put into my body.

Good luck and feel free to shoot me a friend request. Im on often and would love to chat :)
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I feel for you! Life does get in the way of our plans sometimes, well, a lot of times. If you have insurance, or the funds you may want to see a doctor or psychiatrist. Based on what you said about your addictive past you may have some undiagnosed depression, anxiety disorder or ADD/ADHD that you have been self medicating or may be getting in your way living a normal life and staying disciplined. I won't get into detail here on my own problems but I speak about this from experience:)
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My only advice is don't beat yourself up, just take time away from this until you're ready. I was having a great time on the MFP bandwagon until things went horribly wrong for me just over a year ago, and I just couldn't give any of myself to this, so I didn't. I stepped away, and then I found myself getting back in the game a month ago - that's how long it took me to become "ready". Don't set yourself up to fail when you're not in the right place to dedicate what you need to do this!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

FYI: you don't know my background and what struggles I've gone through, or even how empathetic I am to other people's struggles. You don't know what my perspective is. .

Whatever your perspective, you aren't showing much empathy in this thread. I hope your tough background doesn't make you inured to your future clients dilemmas. It's not about how you got over your own struggle.
  • bunkyandtigger
    Options
    I too have been on the "failed yet again" path. Here's a quote I read in "The Slight Edge" - "The formula for success is quite simple: double your rate of failure." - Thomas J. Watson, Sr., the founder of IBM. As Jeff Olson states in his book, "The Slight Edge", "Successful people fail their way to the top!"

My attitude has changed 100% on how I look at things by reading this book. It will teach you to be successful in all aspects of your life. It will show you how success is easy to do with the right attitude.

The difference of success and failure is this simple - your life is filled with hundreds of thousands of small, seemingly insignificant actions. All of them are easy to do. BUT they are also easy not to do. So whenever something tempts me to not do what is right, with the thought that this one time won't kill me, I remember, over a period of time, compounded, the wrong decisions will. So now my mantra is "SLIGHT EDGE IT!" whenever one of those moments creep up on me.