Low carb diet

Options
Hello!

I am low carbing, and have been for roughly two weeks now.
However, what stresses me out is pre packaged salads I buy when on the run that have no nutritional info on them!

For lunch, I usually buy a Coles garden salad with cheese.
Now, according to myfitnesspal it has 11 carbs in it.
My question is, where would these carbs come from?

The salad consists of
3 x cherry tomatoes
Lettuce (Either cos or iceberg I presume).
<50g of cheese
<20g of shredded carrot.

My guess is the tomatoes and the carrot? Even though there is very little of them!?

Anyone elses opinion would be appreciated :)

Replies

• MsQuacklady
    Options
    Yeah...most likely the carrots and tomatoes !!! Some cheese has trace amounts as well...
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that you should not stress about the tiny amount of carbs in fresh raw non-starchy veggies. Cut sugars, cut highly processed crap, cut whole grains if you feel you must (though I think they're a great source of vitamins and energy), but broccoli, lettuces, kale, etc. have so many nutrients that you are making a hell of a deal getting them in exchange for such a tiny amount of carbs. Has it interfered with your weight loss?
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It would be from the Tomatoes, carrots and lettuce. There is also a little in the cheese. Maybe the dressing if you are using some?

What is the fiber count? You would subtract the fiber from the Carbs to give you the net carbs for the salad. Net carbs is what you keep track of when doing LC.
  • crystalrp
    crystalrp Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Can you get your bagged salad and take that with you? The fresh express salads have the nutritional information on them. I would imagine it is the tomatoes, which you maybe should avoid for a few weeks, and the carrots have a few carbs as well. Feel free to add me if you like. I log daily and my diary is open to friends. Best of luck to you!
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    There are carbs in the tomatoes and carrots and in the lettuce, and a little in the cheese. I think the carb count seems kinda high based on the amounts you indicated, but maybe they are counting the dressing too?

I wouldn't worry about veggie carbs, I would make sure that the dressing has no sugar in it. Be safe and make your own healthy low carb dressings at home. :)
  • natwallace94
    natwallace94 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I understand the whole net carb count thing. I've just been counting carbs, is that a problem!?
  • natwallace94
    natwallace94 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also yes I completely forgot it does come with dressing but I don't use it! :) I've been trying to keep my carb intake under 50 grams per day.