Options
13»

Replies

• matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    swap the morning bran for something like museli
    don't use the low cal fry spray, just use oil
    add a bit of butter to veg (good in two ways as it helps absorb fat soluable vitamins), olive oil based dressing to salad
    banana (try banana, peanut butter and milk smothie)
    dark chocolate
    look for calorie dense carbs. Same dry weigh of pasta has more calories than rice or potato
    If you are logging exercise calories be aware that some of the "calorie burned" estimates are way to high
    heck if you are really struggling have a KFC and a piece of cake! Really won't hurt if you meet your other macros
  • emilyc_1987
    emilyc_1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed something but if you are trying to lose fat why are you so worried about eating exactly your calorie goal? As long as you are losing weight at around a pound a week, and you feel fine with the calories you're eating (plenty of energy, etc.) then I don't think you have to worry about anything. If you were losing weight at an alarmingly fast rate then I would say eat more but if not why worry too much about it? In other words if your only losing about a pound a week you are probably eating exactly what you should be for your goal.

because most days MFP is telling me I'm not eating enough. I'm not hungry and I manage to workout every day so obviously not trouble with energy. I've lost 12lb since the 9th of july?

I dont know .have you lost 12 pounds since the 9th of July?

yeah I have! no idea why I put a ? there! :embarassed:

I'll figure it out. I think I'm just having one of those days! :grumble:

thanks for all your advice. I'll work on it! :embarassed:
    I feel so stupid. :indifferent:
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Maybe I missed something but if you are trying to lose fat why are you so worried about eating exactly your calorie goal? As long as you are losing weight at around a pound a week, and you feel fine with the calories you're eating (plenty of energy, etc.) then I don't think you have to worry about anything. If you were losing weight at an alarmingly fast rate then I would say eat more but if not why worry too much about it? In other words if your only losing about a pound a week you are probably eating exactly what you should be for your goal.

because most days MFP is telling me I'm not eating enough. I'm not hungry and I manage to workout every day so obviously not trouble with energy. I've lost 12lb since the 9th of july?

I dont know .have you lost 12 pounds since the 9th of July?

LOL. Don't be an asshat. Even if it was funny. :smile:
  • emilyc_1987
    Options
    I dont know how one goes from over eating to the point of being overweight, but then goes on diet and cannot eat up to certain amount of calories = mind blown...

because there are a HELL OF A LOT of calories in a 7 day a week takeway diet and 20+litres of full fat coke a week and a pint of full fat milk before going to bed everyday!

:| my mind is also blown!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I had this same issue when I started on my healthy lifestyle in December of 2011. I just figured out what my maintenance calories at my desired weight. I was eating a lot more protein, drinking a lot more water, and never getting hungry. I never worry about eating net calories, but just worry about getting to my maintenance level of around 1540 a day. (just my number, no science other than trial and error). Eventually, over about a year, it's easier to eat at the right level. I added calories by just doubling down on some serving sizes - a whole avocado vs a half , etc.

It is important to note that all calorie estimates on labels can be off about 20% ,as is the calorie counts on menu items.

While scientific calcs of calories out and in are a good guideline, it's a guideline.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

When I first started using this site a couple of years ago I obsessed about every recommendation that MFP offered me I also took every estimate of calories burned, etc. that the site says as absolute. I have found that some of the "estimates" are highly inaccurate. I mainly only use the site now to track my food intake. I have gone though a few "cutting" and "bulking" cycles since I started using this site and since I stopped paying attention to all of the recommendations things have worked a lot better for me. I am not in any way saying that they aren't useful for some people but sometimes I think it causes some people to obsess a little too much about things that don't really matter too much in the big picture.

What I am saying is if you are eating a healthy diet, you are losing weight at an acceptable rate, and everything else is working, don't let losing weight become obsessive.

On a side note. It's not uncommon for someone just starting in a calorie deficit to lose weight a lot faster at first. It's normal. Be happy, because after a while losing just a half a pound a week is tough sometimes. Just stick with it and don't let it all consume you...
  • emilyc_1987
    Options

When I first started using this site a couple of years ago I obsessed about every recommendation that MFP offered me I also took every estimate of calories burned, etc. that the site says as absolute. I have found that some of the "estimates" are highly inaccurate. I mainly only use the site now to track my food intake. I have gone though a few "cutting" and "bulking" cycles since I started using this site and since I stopped paying attention to all of the recommendations things have worked a lot better for me. I am not in any way saying that they aren't useful for some people but sometimes I think it causes some people to obsess a little too much about things that don't really matter too much in the big picture.

What I am saying is if you are eating a healthy diet, you are losing weight at an acceptable rate, and everything else is working, don't let losing weight become obsessive.

On a side note. It's not uncommon for someone just starting in a calorie deficit to lose weight a lot faster at first. It's normal. Be happy, because after a while losing just a half a pound a week is tough sometimes. Just stick with it and don't let it all consume you...

ok. I'll try to avoid letting it get to me too much. if I feel fine, I'm eating pretty good(most of the time!:frown: ) I'll just stick it out until something goes awry!
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Start drinking the pint of milk again.
    What did you replace the coke with, just water?
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I checked your diary, you are not eatting any of the "foods" people mentions. You seem to be eatting/drinking alot of diet chocolate. I'll tell you what my husband told me. Start eatting, stop dieting. Just eat real food until you reach your limit.
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I checked your diary, you are not eatting any of the "foods" people mentions. You seem to be eatting/drinking alot of diet chocolate. I'll tell you what my husband told me. Start eatting, stop dieting. Just eat real food until you reach your limit.

I agree with this. While I try to get under my calorie goal, I still eat a lot of the things I want to. I do eat better, but I still have snacks and junk food sometimes.

How many calories are you eating per day, anyway? As long as you're over 1200 and under your calorie goal, you should be fine. You don't have to -meet- your calorie goal every day - you just have to stay under it. I briefly glanced at your food diary, and for the most part, you seem to be doing fine. Slightly confused as to why your daily goal keeps changing, but *shrug* that's your deal. Again, you seem to be doing okay, so I wouldn't worry so much.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've only been on MFP for about 20days! before that I was probably eating one disgustingly unhealthy meal a day and drinking shedloads of coke!!!!!!!

I was always really overly busy with work, working from 5:30am until 8 sometimes 9pm. never had breakfast. usually at a takeaway becuase I was so knackered.

I eat 5 times a day at the moment to try and get food in over the day. It takes me about 2 hours to eat my meal 4/5. I just seem to get overwhelmed by it.

:(

This happened to me too when I started. Switched from the same style for the same reasons bad habits back to good old fashioned proportioned eating wit meals nicely included and I couldn't reach my calories. Don't worry, keep going, it evens out in time once you adjust to the lifestyle and your body recovers from shock that breakfast isn't just something from fairytales. Good luck!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm just curious as to what your calorie goal is?
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You are not alone...My friend and I were just talking about this. Before I starting using MFP, I could easily eat 1300 cal in one sitting but seriously struggle with getting that same amount in a day. It does baffle me, but I'm now worrying about it. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat...another new phenomenon. LOL.If I'm too far under, a protein shake or some peanut butter will do the trick.

I say listen to your body, embrace the irony, have a giggle, and keep on going.

Best wishes!
  • brandield1
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm supposed to be eating 1200 cals. Unless I allow myself a soda, I'm barely hitting 1100 on a good day and feeling too full to eat more. You can try protein shakes, which give cals and don't really fill you up. Peanut butter on toast is also a good alternative, since a tablespoon of peanut butter can have around 200 cals. Maybe add healthy oils to salads to boost calories, too.
  • emilyc_1987
    Options

how many days did you check? I've only chocolate today? apart from the ben and jerry's!!

I have been eating chicken/nuts/avocados/tuna/cheese/peanut butter/yoghurt, just because I dont eat them every single day doesn't mean I havent eaten them?

I'm a little surprised that I 'havent' eaten them. Its all logged?

I was just trying to get some advice on it. I know I could probably do with eating more of those things than I do now.
    it's all a learning curve though right?!

thanks for all your advice etc. I appreciate all of it and I'm gonna work on it!

:drinker: