Getting Into Free Weights

Options
So apparently the internet has decided: free weights >>> machines. The problem is that free weights have a higher entry barrier, I think. How did you get started with free weights? How did you decide how much weight to use? How do you make sure you have proper form and not an embarrassment for everyone present? (Personal trainer is not an option. And I don't know anyone doing it now.)

Replies

• erillyn
    erillyn Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have put a lot of research into doing free weights as well. The best way for me to learn how (without a personal trainer) is to watch reputable youtube videos, check out websites that are specialized in muscle building. It has every fact and detail you will ever want to know. I personally really like www.muscleandstrength.com/ . Sometimes it is better to just google and follow, ya know? Hope I helped in any sort of way!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Read Starting Strength. Even if you aren't going to do tht particular program. Read it.
    Watch youtube videos.

Video yourself OFTEN to determine form issues.
  • 1123dre
    1123dre Posts: 5
    Options
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The free weight area is pretty intimidating especially when the are is heavily populated by experienced users. What is funny is everyone is usually pretty nice and helpful if I ask a question between sets. Just be respectful of their gym time and the people around you can be your best resource. Good luck