Swelling from working on your feet all day?

Options
Hi everyone!

I started a new job 3 weeks ago but lately I've been noticing I've been bloated and swollen--more than usual. Is this because I'm on my feet cleaning and runnin around for 8 hours a day Friday Saturday and Sunday? Sunday mornings are my weigh in but I did not weigh in today because I feel SO bloated!

If you're like me working on your feet::

What do you do to keep swelling and that bloated feeling down?
Did you find you were up on the scale after working all day?

Any advice would be great!

Replies

• crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have just started having this problem and my doctor put me on a diuretic. It can be a sign of a bigger problem and can be hard on the heart (the reasons the doctor put me on the mild diuretic). To help: drink lots of water to flush the excess out, try to put your feet up when you can, cut down on salt. Those tips didn't help me so had to go to the doctor. Good luck.
  • enkennon
    enkennon Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yeah I feel like I'm not drinking enough water for all the work I'm putting in at my job. I got in 9 cups yesterday and woke up a LITTLE less bloated. But fingers and stomach still not back to normal
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have just started having this problem and my doctor put me on a diuretic. It can be a sign of a bigger problem and can be hard on the heart (the reasons the doctor put me on the mild diuretic). To help: drink lots of water to flush the excess out, try to put your feet up when you can, cut down on salt. Those tips didn't help me so had to go to the doctor. Good luck.

Pretty much exactly what this poster said. I have to say I love your thumbnail pic! That before picture is how I feel in some of my jeans right now! Good to hear the extra water helped. The only thing I can add is try to move around a little and stretch, get one of those gel mats, wear compression socks if there is swelling below the knee.
  • ambermpage
    ambermpage Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Compression socks do help if the swelling is below the knees. Drink more water also. I was having the same problem and can tell when I have not had enough water throughout the day!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you but I just couln't leave this thread without saying OP I :heart: your profile pic SO MUCH!
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I work a 40 hour work week standing generally in the same spot all 8 hours M-F (I'm a scanning technician). We have a big cushy mat that I stand on that's supposed to absorb the pressure on your feet and shins, but my feet were ALWAYS still hurting at the end of the day for the first month. I bought new shoes and replace my gel inserts every 6 weeks and it's definitely been better.

I haven't noticed a difference in my weight at the end of the day - I don't weigh myself often and definitely don't weigh myself twice in one day. xD

I just suggest you make sure your shoes are perfect for the job and get some good gels to slap in them. Also try massaging them and soaking them in warm water, maybe also with Epsom salt, when you get home. :)
  • enkennon
    Options
    Thank you for the great ideas about the compression socks! I am goin to try to drink more water I just HATE IT!!!
  • enkennon
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you but I just couln't leave this thread without saying OP I :heart: your profile pic SO MUCH!

Thank youuu!! I really appreciate that :-)
  • enkennon
    Options
    I work a 40 hour work week standing generally in the same spot all 8 hours M-F (I'm a scanning technician). We have a big cushy mat that I stand on that's supposed to absorb the pressure on your feet and shins, but my feet were ALWAYS still hurting at the end of the day for the first month. I bought new shoes and replace my gel inserts every 6 weeks and it's definitely been better.

I haven't noticed a difference in my weight at the end of the day - I don't weigh myself often and definitely don't weigh myself twice in one day. xD

I just suggest you make sure your shoes are perfect for the job and get some good gels to slap in them. Also try massaging them and soaking them in warm water, maybe also with Epsom salt, when you get home. :)

I've heard of the Epsom soaks helping with water retention and pain! I may need to try it