Low or No Carb Diet?

Options
Well for me,,, i don't believe on this, maybe u will lose weight but temporary or not healthy,,

the important is as long as you hit your macros & micros depends on your goal,, then you will lose weight and healthy

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Im living healthy proof that low carb does work... it might not be something you believe in or want to follow but everyone is different.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Define low carb. My macros are set at 40 protein, 35 carbs, and 25 fat. My carbs are only fruits veggies, quinoa, steel cut oats, and sometimes brown rice.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you bro, go for it!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm on keto. I try to keep my carbs below 50. Don't knock an eating plan just because you don't understand it. It can be sustainable. as long as you follow the plan and then eat at maintenance.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner-carbs are crucial
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Low carbs like 30g of carbs below

well if you do intense cardio and lifting,, then you will need high carbs,,
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Im confused as to what's the point of this thread...

- There is no such thing as a "no carb diet" ...

- Temporary how? low carbing is not a short term diet, but instead a lifestyle change. the first initial weight loss of low carbing is mainly water weight due to the loss of glycogens (stored digested carbs). one gram of carbs holds 4 grams of water retention. From there weight loss will be constant as now fats & body fat will be used as the bodies primary fuel source. When coming off a diet one must slowly add back in Carbs over Weeks... And I mean Weeks. If you go back to eating the way you were before you started the diet then yes expect to gain back the weight and more. This is where most people fail to maintain their new earned body.

- Not healthy? How so? Please explain. If you havent tried the diet then please take your two cents back. There is not one diet out there that will work for everyone. Some people may have medical issues which may require them to eat low carb. Low carbin is used to treat kids with epilepsy or to starve and kill off different cancers. Some people may just function better on a low carb diet such as I Being one. You're better off to go and flame those who only eat 500 calories a day... Now that's unhealthy... Leave the ketogenic, paleo, Atkins (or any other diet that uses a low carb variant) alone...

- I do a variation of low carb dieting called "cyclical ketogenic dieting." 65% fats, 30% proteins, 5% Carbs. For me thats about 20~30 net Carbs a day. I eat this way for 7~14 days. Because I lift often and do some crossfit I do require Carbs or overtime the intensity of the workouts will eat away at my muscles. In fact it is encouraged to have a cheat refeed meal/period/day (depending on bf%) to help keep metabolism up + to replenish glycogens in muscles so one can maintain strength in gym. For whose who do long endurance or heavy lifting think of it like going to the gas station and filling your car up with gas. Over time the fuel (muscle glycogens) will get low and and performance will suffer.

For those with fairly high bf % they dont require as much refeeds as those with lower bf %. In fact there are many who go without refeeds for months only because of their current weight. as body fat % gets lower the bigger the refeed one s handle.

As stated I eat the macros stated above for 7~14 days. Then cycle a 24~36 hr refeed period where I consume 1000g+ Carbs (thats 4k+ calories alone just for Carbs). I can eat well over 8k+ calories during that refeed.

I never did the diet to lose excess weight to begin with. I just did it to see how it was like. I was ok with my 10.2% bf before starting the diet. Did a standard ketogenic diet for 3 months then switch to the cyclical ketogenic variation ever since.. Now im 5.7% body fat. lifts are going up, gaining lean muscles, best shape of my life!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Well for me,,, i don't believe on this, maybe u will lose weight but temporary or not healthy,,

the important is as long as you hit your macros & micros depends on your goal,, then you will lose weight and healthy

Um, okay, you've got me curious why you wanted to inform the board that you don't believe in this? You write as if you're answering a question, as if someone asked your opinion.
  • crystalrp
    crystalrp Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It isn't something you believe in? Then don't do it. Easy peasy.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You show your ignorance of this way of eating when you make statements like this. If you haven't researched it, don't comment on it.
  • ELVISDEAN
    ELVISDEAN Posts: 77
    Options
    yes

low carb no carb=STUPIDITY

eat all the CARBS exercise...be super fit

Elvis
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't get the point of this post unless you're just throwing out the figurative grenade and want to sit back and watch the fireworks. It's really simple, if you don't like the low carb approach, don't eat that way. Let those of us who prefer it eat the way we know works for us.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Today is 500 gram carb day!!!1
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options

I must have missed the memo. Did someone die and appoint you as the sole expert as to what works and what doesn't? I'll have to check my inbox again.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You do understand that there are some medical conditions that are best controlled by eating low carb, right?
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Define low carb. My macros are set at 40 protein, 35 carbs, and 25 fat. My carbs are only fruits veggies, quinoa, steel cut oats, and sometimes brown rice.

Very good point. I think people failing to define exactly what they mean by "low carb" leads to a world of confusion on these boards. There is a huge difference between a very low (ultra low, ketogenic, ketosis-inducing, etc) diet and just eating low carbs. The former is usually less than 30g of carbs a day and triggers a different biological mechanism for glucose production and is the subject of a lot of controversy. The latter is usually just when people realize their bodies do better eating fewer carbs than most people eat on a balanced diet, so they drop their intake a bit (like 100g/ day). Obviously there is some variation in here, but the discussion about these two diet choices are quite different and it doesn't make sense to lump them all in as the same thing.
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    I don't worry about my carbs., don't count them. I eat low carb. as a way of life. Only meats & veggies. No sugar, not starchy stuff. It's easy. I don't count calories, just eat till I'm satisfied. Very easy way of losing fat & weight. I've tried other restrictive diets & always failed. With low carb. it works. The weight comes off slow & steady bc your body is using the stored fat. I don't buy or bring anything into the house that is processed. All the meals have to be prepared. Today I made a tuna salad, a chicken salad, a roast. I eat Salads w/romaine everyday, with olives, bacon bits, tomatos, cheese, olives & good dressing w/olive oil. Excercise is key to getting the weight off especially for us older women.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

It seems ironic that you are choosing what is a healthy approach to weight loss when you posted the following on a thread earlier today. This is your post on a thread from earlier today:

I'm 5'3
    and i'm 140lbs now

my goal weight is 110-100lbs and bf% is 10% to 5%

but i'm male ^_^

well,,diet,supplements,water,cardio & lifting will help reach our goal
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This is your post on a thread from earlier today:

I'm 5'3
    and i'm 140lbs now

my goal weight is 110-100lbs and bf% is 10% to 5%

but i'm male ^_^

well,,diet,supplements,water,cardio & lifting will help reach our goal

Healthy and yours views on weight loss don't seem to equate....Just saying.

/endthread
  • ELVISDEAN
    ELVISDEAN Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm a runner-carbs are crucial