Is someone sabotaging you????

Options
sabotage-20120130-084440.jpg

So, you've started this new "diet," "lifestyle change," "trying to eat healthier," or whatever you want to call it. You've told your family/spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend/life partner/friends (circle whichever may apply). You've bought the necessary supplies (and probably ridded your kitchen of all the "crap" that you ate before). This times it's for real.

You tell yourself you're really enjoying your chicken breasts and salad and that you could eat 1200 calories for the rest of your life and be just fine! Everything is going along fine. That is, until DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN!!!!!!!!! Someone in your life tries to sabotage you. He buys a cake. She brings home chips. They dare ask you to go out to dinner.

Don't they know how much work you've put into this? Don't they know how important it is for you to be healthier/leaner/fitter????

Now they're offering you some of those evil foods. GODD@MMIT DON'T THEY KNOW?

Right now, is when in your head you're probably screaming, "SABOTAGE!"

But wait, take a step back. You're the one making a change. Isn't that right? Doesn't your husband love that cake that he bought? Ohhh and your sister is already in really good health. Should she have to give up crisps? What about your friends? They're used to going out to dinner with you every weekend. Isn't it polite to ask you if you want some?

So, is it really sabotage? If you're changing the way you interact with your family and friends and they're having a hard time supporting you they way that you want them to is that really sabotage?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    OMG! I love everything this thread aspires to be and hopefully will become.

Well said, well said.

Example: I started eating sandwich thins, cause calories in bread. Husband came home, first thing he buys is a loaf of bread. Is this sabotage? No! The man just likes his damn bread. And if I eat the bread that's my choice, unless he holds me down and shoves it into my mouth (giggity)

Which he would never do. Because he doesn't want to share.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Not sabotage at all unless you're being force fed........:laugh:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6wkqu269Z1qihztbo1_500.gif
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6wkqu269Z1qihztbo1_500.gif

Quoting this just so I can steal that gif! :D
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    Yep.

It can FEEL like sabotage, but these changes are mine. Support (especially at home) is appreciated, but not required.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    No it's not sabotage, they want to eat that cake just as much as you don't want to eat it. Why should they go eat it in anther room. It would be sabotage if they said it was a fat free cake, knowing it wasn't.

I'm lucky in a way, I live on my own so I buy all the food and junk food is not allowed.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Three cheers for taking responsibility for your own actions :drinker:
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    ojktqd.gif
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to suggest that the world doesn't revolve around me and that there might be other people in the household/group of friends who could enjoy something I enjoy too?
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with this.

Though I do feel that it can sometimes be sabotage if say hubby is on a diet and his favorite bad food is pepperoni pizza and you (wifey) don't even care about pizza but bought it anyways for a 'treat' for hubby and oh you also bought him chocolate icecream the day before also his favorite as you wouldn't touch it because you like vanilla. If you are deliberately buying things that you normally don't buy when the other person if trying to lose weight then I do consider that sabotage.

However with that being said it is STILL up to you to control yourself! Temptations will always be there. And when you are FINALLY in that mental state then nothing will stand in your way. If you are going to cave to every craving then you don't stand a chance for long term change.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    The only person that sabotages us is... well us. Choices are your own.
  • femmefae
    femmefae Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I believe I am the only one that can sabotage my progress. No one else is putting food in my mouth or making me sit in the house all day.
  • Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    1200 calories for the rest of my life? errm, I can't even do that on a deficit.
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    Love this! Thank you! I like to tease my husband about trying to sabotage me, but in the end I know it's my decision whether or not to indulge or to say the hell with it and fit it into my count for the day. Besides, hubby usually tries really hard to find me a healthier alternative.
  • AngieF1260
    AngieF1260 Posts: 11
    Options
    Love this post! No one can make me eat things that I shouldn't be eating. And I try to just think "moderation". With MFP, I have to really justify eating something that may only make me feel good for a few minutes. Losing the weight will make me feel better for life!
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    Are you trying to suggest that the world doesn't revolve around me and that there might be other people in the household/group of friends who could enjoy something I enjoy too?

35ip4c.jpg

edit: fixing picture.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    too-smart.gif
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    double post...
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    1200 calories for the rest of my life? errm, I can't even do that on a deficit.

Neither could I. It was supposed to be humorous. :indifferent:
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: