Couch To 5K Challenge

Options
Hey Everyone!

I started the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred Challenge last week and have become addicted to working out... I will be starting the Couch To 5K Challenge tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining me :) We can motivate each other and keep each other accountable.

Replies

• cfranz7715
    cfranz7715 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I could be interested? How does this work?
  • Holdensmommy810
    Options
    Ill do it!! How will this work? Do i need to get an app??
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Training days are 3 days a week (I am going to be doing Monday, Wednesday and Friday). For the first workout week you do a 5 minute brisk walk to warm yourself up and then you alternate between 1 minute of light jogging with 1 1/2 minutes of walking. Eventually you build up your jogging time. I am extremely out of shape so I am going to do my best to keep up with the program but if I have to do an extra "easy" day in order to get to the goal of jogging for 30 mins without stopping I will... with no shame! :)
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    Here is the link to the website

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • chelc1105
    chelc1105 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone for the C25K. It is very helpful (I have a windows phone).

When i started I got up to week 5 and ended up spraining my ankle walking lol, so i started over yesterday :)
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    How is the app? I have an very old android phone.. it is dead at the moment but I would like to get the app and try it... does it save progress for you?? How are you finding the workouts??
  • chris2267
    chris2267 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I too have started C25K using the iPhone app. However I did 3 workouts in a row before I realized it was 3x a week. Oh we'll ;)

I think I will do the first week again to really get dialed in. I don't really like running but wish I could do it.
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    I would like running better if I didn't get out of breath so fast!
  • Barbiegirl1826
    Options
    Ill be starting tomorrow! So excited I found this group!
    Good luck!
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am SO unfit, it's almost a decade since I was a regular jogger and I wish I'd never stopped...I am downloading an app as I type..went swimming for the first times in AGES last Thursday and my shoulders are still twingeing! Need to start making much more effort. I'm in :D
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    Awesome!!! So glad we have a group going now!! Feel free to add me everyone!!! I might get up a bit early tomorrow and do the first workout in the am and then do my 30DS workout right after.... Good luck to everyone tomorrow... looking forward to hearing how all of you do!!!! I took some before photos last week... will share some after ones in 9 weeks :)
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I want to do this, but because I have my son with me (so can't wait for school to start), I am only able to do the treadmill version until Sept :(
  • jamiecarol84
    Options
    I have an iphone and the app is really great. I put in my headphones and it allows me to listen to my ipod and still cuts in and tells you when to jog and when to walk. I never completed it but need to!
  • jessIcalynn63
    jessIcalynn63 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I will start tomorrow. I have the C25K app on my phone so that will let me know what I need to do. Can't wait!! Let's do it!:bigsmile:
  • notdebby
    notdebby Posts: 58
    Options
    I started this a few weeks ago but found out real fast that I'm too out of shape to do the 1 minute run/1 1/2 minute walk so I'm doing 30 seconds of running and then 2 1/2 minutes of walking. I haven't really improved from there because I haven't been able to get out 3 times a week. I'm doing 2 times a week but I'm hoping that once school starts back up for the kids and I'm no longer having to watch the neighbor kid during the week I can get more serious. I don't have any real goal in mind as to how soon I want to be up to doing the full 5k in 30 minutes but I'm thinking if I can get there by next summer, that would be cool.
  • Holdensmommy810
    Options
    So were doing this tomorrow? Good luck everyone!! I tried to start joggin last year hurt my foot. Ill see how tomorrow goes! Im looking at aps now!
  • zoe534
    zoe534 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just finished my second week, and I would really like to join. I'm not a jogger but I want to be. So count me in.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    There are a few apps out there. I first started w/the C25k by zen labs got injured at week 3 & had to take a few weeks off. I restarted but wasn't feeling the app, so I switched to the Zombies Run C25k app (its entertaining). I am now one day away from completing week 5 & can actually now run non stop for 15+ min. A little over a mile, which is something I have never thought I could do. I am now confident that I will complete this & be able to run a 5k.

These C25k programs work! Keep trying & if your out of breath, feel like dying & can't hold a conversation then you are goings too fast, SLOW it down. Speed will come later. I also can not stress enough the importance of good running shoes. Please do yourself a favor & do this. Spend the extra money it costs for good quality.

Good luck everyone. Hang tight & push through, it does get easier.
  • rachelc677
    rachelc677 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had started the program and go to week 6 and was running 8 minutes straight and loving every second of it....but unfortunately because I got tendonitis in my foot I had to stop running....it's only been 3 weeks now and am going crazy!!!!! I too was out of shape and never really had done exercise before so I was extremely surprised when I was able to get from one week to another...Anyways I just wanted to put my two cents in and let you all know that if I could get there (well at least up to 8 minutes at a time) so can you!!! I still have a few weeks to recover before I can start back up but am really really looking forward to it... Now go out there boys and girls and kill it for me :) Wishing you all the best of luck ...You can all do it!!!!!
  • coconutsparkle
    Options
    I'm just starting Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and C25K tomorrow. I HATE running so this is going to be a challenge, but something I'm determined to do. I can't wait to be able to say I can run for 10+ minutes without stopping. :bigsmile: