Would you run/work out in a sports bra?

Options

Replies

• mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My last gym had a pretty strict dress code so it didn't really come up back then. These days I do my yoga in a sports bra and shorts (to avoid carpet burn on my *kitten*) but I jog and gym fully clothed. It's about half "nobody wants to see this much pasty white jiggle" and half 36F sports bras rarely come in cute style. Or really any style other than looking exactly like my regular bras and slightly more prone to sweat-induced transparency.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends how confident you are in yourself. I wear a vest over mine but don't think badly of girls who don't.

I don't think its about confidence but more about modesty.

i'm not necessarily modest. i just hate having to deal with unwanted attention (which is not a question of attractiveness, i am not saying i'm whatever. when people are not used to seeing abs etc, they look no matter what you look like).

hence, would do, because i love feeling free and comfortable, and a t shirt is not always that, IF everyone's doing it & it doesn't get a second glance, as this minimizes my desire to punch dudes, which ruins a workout.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. I don't really do it now when I'm in public because I'm still pretty chubby, but I do it when nobody else is around (working out in/near my house), and I would definitely do it elsewhere if I lose a little weight.

I also wear a bikini at the beach, even though I'm still a good 20-30lbs overweight. That's what I'm comfortable in, so who cares?
  • k_lips
    k_lips Posts: 22
    Options
    I do! It's so much cooler than wearing a tank/tee and makes it a lot easier to have great runs and not overheat in summer, plus on the paths that I run on, everyone is focused on their own run and no one is really paying attention to me and how toned my abs are anyway.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    No. In fact, I quit wearing bras all together. I feel I get a better calorie burn when my giant tatas flap all over.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I still think it depends on the location/situation...

I'm extremely flat chested, so in that sense it's already still modest enough. I already wear tanks because it's too hot working out in t-shirts sometimes, if it was running outside in an extremely public place, I wouldn't do the whole sports bra thing.

Maybe to the gym or a class or something :)
  • blessedmomof3girls
    blessedmomof3girls Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Depends on the weather, and the amount I'm working out! I've had to strip the t-shirt off a time or two and just go in my sports bra, and at the time I could care less what anyone thought I needed the extra air flow lol. Although, I am somewhat modest and I hate my stomach, so I don't unless it's dire circumstances.But when I get closer to my goal weight, and get some tone then watch out though lol! If a woman wants to run in her sports bra, I wouldn't think twice.
  • Determined518
    Determined518 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! The less clothes the better! They just get in the way. I also live on the beach so I am used to people being 1/2 naked most of the time.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    There's a rule in my gym preventing women working out in sports bras only, or I totally would.
    I hate the feeling of a sweat soaked shirt against my skin, twisting up, just ewww. If you can do it, do it for me!
  • ittyXbittyXbritty
    Options
    I run around my neighborhood in my sports bra and shorts. I have a little pooch at the bottom and you can kinda see the start of abs at the top of my tummy. I also have rather large breasts. I get a lot of weird looks and I have even been told by some "concerned parents" that someone my age (I am almost 20......) shouldn't run around in "provocative clothing." But I still do it because I don't want to die of heat stroke ;)

so do it anyway. it feels a lot better tbh. plus I always work harder.
  • cardiophile
    Options
    I don't know....kinda seems like a way to get a lot of unwanted attention.
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Our society is FAR too ashamed of the human body and it's natural form.

You should work out in whatever is most comfortable and beneficial to your physical performance. No more, no less
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I would if I felt comfortable with my tummy. I would most likely only do that though on cardio days where I wasn't touching any gym equipment or doing any floor work.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I run outside and it's incredibly hot here. You bet I'm wearing nothing but shorts and a sports bra.
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Once I get my tummy down to where I'm comfortable then I will!
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    Our society is FAR too ashamed of the human body and it's natural form.

You should work out in whatever is most comfortable and beneficial to your physical performance. No more, no less

Agree, and agree that's what we SHOULD do, but, I have a hard time shutting out distraction from getting irritated by responses. Any ideas on managing that (that do not involve the possibility of being arrested, or moving to a more reasonable place)?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Once my bf% is lower, I fully intend to. I live in a college town, and running in a sports bra is the norm. It's cooler and comfier.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    When it's really hot/humid outside and I'm on a long run my run club, you better believe my tank is coming off just as fast as the boys are ripping their shirts off lol.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I run in a more modest bikini top (ie, not a string) and running shorts on the beach. My thought is why would I put on more clothes to run when everyone around me is wearing less clothing to just stand there. If I had larger girls, I wouldn't do this.

At the gym, I wear a top that covers my stomach and I wear compression capris that cover me to below the knee. It's a retirement community, and I don't feel comfortable being in the gym with 60-80 year olds wearing just a sports bra. But I have nothing against them or see any problem with others wearing them.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    I don't feel comfortable being in the gym with 60-80 year olds wearing just a sports bra. But I have nothing against them or see any problem with others wearing them.

dude. full respect to seniors, but they count among them the biggest leches. because now they realize they've got just a little time and want to get as much in as they can. usually harmless, but annoying. (would not punch a senior)