Women who are in shape and athletic but weigh more??

Options

Replies

• jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    <<<<< I'm 5'8 and about 150-154 depending on the day. I don't weigh myself much anymore but I know where you're coming from.

Edited to add age: I'm 44.
  • mcconnelllkelly
    mcconnelllkelly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, I am 5 foot 1 and weigh 128-130. I'm what you'd consider to be "pear" shape because I'm Puerto Rican, and I wear pants from size 6-9 and I feel horrrrible about it. It also doesn't help that I'm only an A cup because I feel like I am not proportional. I go to therapy for personal reasons, but one of the main things my DR taught me was not to worry about the numbers. He even saw how obsessed I was with my weight and pants size and sometimes now he even has to reassure me that my size is healthy and that's all that matter. What he explained to me was that numbers are different to everyone, which if you think about it its true. Notice how some scales can tell you that you weigh one thing, and then another tells you something totally different. As long as you can see progress in yourself and that you are trying your hardest, eventually you'll forget about all the numbers and feel great.

Good Luck!

PS - i'm also currently trying to get my picture to upload here to show you i really don't even look like a pear or a size 9, but its taking too long. will edit again !
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Your body's mass might matter if:

* You are trying to make a weight class for a competitive lifting meet;
    * You are a jockey;
    * You are a dancer or cheerleader and someone needs to lift you or twirl you in the air;
    * You are trying to traverse a recently frozen pond;
    * You are a blushing bride about to be carried by a scrawny groom across a threshold;
    * You are trying to figure out your LBM to decide how to set your macros.

I cannot imagine any other type of scenario when it matters a damn otherwise.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    The number on the scales are not really of much value. That number represents far more than fat. It includes waste, lean muscle and more. And, the BMI means nothing. There are far better gauges of fitness. I'm between 19% and 20% body fat and have a waist of 27 and hips of 37 and weigh 127. I'm 69 years old and have a large frame. I'm in very good shape and what would be termed athletic. At 5' 1", some would argue I should weigh less. Not so. I have no desire to be skinny. Nor is skinny healthy.

Most women feel as if they're too heavy whether they are or not. I don't know what your age is. But your body fat is reasonably low for a younger woman. It's not athletic but it's in the fitness range I would say (without knowing your age.)

As long as you're in a healthy range for your age and body type, your frame size, you really shouldn't worry about weight. There is no perfect number. But, there is a close to perfect range of weight. But it's unique to the age, sex, body type and frame of a person and there's no one size fits all.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    5'9" 160lbs.

I've always liked to brag about my weight because people think I weigh a lot less. I wear a size 8.

20127619_2174.jpg
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and weigh 152-154, depending on the day, and am 35 with about 24% body fat. No one has ever been able to accurately guess my weight and the other day I was able to fit into a dress made for me in high school when I was about 30lbs lighter. I don't put much faith in the scale.

These pics are about 6 lbs and a year apart:

p5wftqpl.jpg

The dress from high school:
    zOy44CKl.jpg

DP0faI8l.jpg
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    5'10 and 140 Ibs.
    People seem to always think I am less due to my low bodyfat.

20130615_114119_zps8d734f98.jpg

20130608_145620_zpsaa65438f.jpg
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    BMI is a population metric. it's not useful when applied to individuals.

also, who in the world is asking you what you weigh? that's one of those taboo questions you never ask a stranger.
  • aliciaje
    aliciaje Posts: 83
    Options
    Hi I am 5'4 and 160 body fat is 23.4% measured by body pod. I am very active and athletic so you are not alone!!! Check out my pics most people peg me at 140.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    BMI is a population metric. it's not useful when applied to individuals.

also, who in the world is asking you what you weigh? that's one of those taboo questions you never ask a stranger.

Agree
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I used to stress it but I got over it and focused on what I felt good at.

I am 5'3 and around 130. About 23% BF. I was told recently that I would be a good drinking game bet..."let's guess what Michelle weighs". I am a size 2 or 4 and a small.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    <---- 5'8 150 BF 21%, size 6-8 depending on brand.

I'd rather focus on bf than that damned scale!! Blah
  • kmrichardson1
    kmrichardson1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 4" and weigh 193 pounds. I've recently lost 24 pounds (started mfp after I began losing weight). I quickly took up stronglifts and running and am currently wearing clothes that I wore when I was in the 170s 4 years ago. Blows my mind actually. I'm in a size 12.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It took me years to realize the number on the scale is not something to go by all the time. Since January I started some serious running. YES I did lose weight because I wanted to lose .. however.. I lost inches from exercise and now I'm a size smaller. IT's the best feeling and I could care less what the scale says anymore.

I'm 5'11 size 4.. I'm good.

But I will say.. that if I stop working out.. I will most likely gain weight again. For me it's all about staying fit and being healthy it's the only thing that works.. I feel better and have more energy.

There is no magic pill.. it's all about commitment.. and YES it's not EASY but then again.. nothing is easy.
  • aalicia88
    aalicia88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think i look less than I actually weigh. Every time someone asks me what I weigh and i say 155 they tell me i'm lying. Yeah, because I would lie to INCREASE the number?? My mom had me get on her scale and prove to her thats what I weigh because she said "no way in heck is that true". So, yeah, 155 and 5'5. People say that it's just a number and doesnt mean much but I also can't help but to focus on it.

null_zps1ac1449c.png

Omg you look amazing! I have the same stats 5'5 and 155lbs but if I had your figure I'd stop forever! What size of pants do you wear if you don't mind me asking?
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    At my goal, I'm at the upper end of my weight range. I have a thin frame BUT I'm a pear shape. I even had someone tell me I was getting too thin when I weighed 140 and wore a size 10 pants. I was no where near being underweight for my height which would have been below 125lbs.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think i look less than I actually weigh. Every time someone asks me what I weigh and i say 155 they tell me i'm lying. Yeah, because I would lie to INCREASE the number?? My mom had me get on her scale and prove to her thats what I weigh because she said "no way in heck is that true". So, yeah, 155 and 5'5. People say that it's just a number and doesnt mean much but I also can't help but to focus on it.

null_zps1ac1449c.png

Omg you look amazing! I have the same stats 5'5 and 155lbs but if I had your figure I'd stop forever! What size of pants do you wear if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you SO much! I'm a size 8. Pretty solid across the board, any brand I try I usually fit perfectly in an 8. Shirts are mediums or small depending. I think I must carry a good amount of muscle? I set My goal weight at 145 which seems so much higher than people my height on here but if I tried to weigh 125 I really think i would look terrible. I don't even think it would be possible for me to lose 30 more lbs. My body doesn't seem to want to go any lower than 155 grrrrrr.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" as well, and my GOAL weight is about 170. I should be around 25% body fat at that point as long as I am able to retain the LBM I currently have with heavy lifting. I honestly don't care about the number on the scale. It took a while to get to that point, but I am currently 192.5, and people tell me all the time I look a lot less. That's the main thing to me. I'm actually excited to tell them my actual weight because I am so freakin' proud of the way that I look and how I've gotten here. It's a chance to talk about lifting heavy and eating 1800 calories, which is considered a higher calorie diet for most people. People are always shocked and saying things like, "Well, you are solid." <--- That is an awesome compliment. Who cares what the scale says if you love your body? Once I reach 170, I'll reassess.
    Recent pic at 192.5:
    ry%3D480

To answer your other question, I would say that you look about 150-160. I also think there's no reason to lie about your weight. You have nothing to be ashamed of at whatever weight you are now.
  • aalicia88
    aalicia88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

null_zps1ac1449c.png

Thank you SO much! I'm a size 8. Pretty solid across the board, any brand I try I usually fit perfectly in an 8. Shirts are mediums or small depending. I think I must carry a good amount of muscle? I set My goal weight at 145 which seems so much higher than people my height on here but if I tried to weigh 125 I really think i would look terrible. I don't even think it would be possible for me to lose 30 more lbs. My body doesn't seem to want to go any lower than 155 grrrrrr.

Wow yeah size 8 is definitely my goal. I'm a size 10 right now but I know how you feel! Ever since I got into the 150s its been sooo hard for the weight to come off. It's slowed down to a crawl and I seem to be gaining/losing the same 1-2 pounds. But good luck losing the last 10! They are known to be the hardest to lose for a reason but keep at it and you'll get there :D
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options

I love it!