Giving up on eating above my BMR

Options
13»

Replies

• Kayleighkaykay
    Kayleighkaykay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do know that all calories are not created equal. If the additional calories included sugar and processed foods, thats not good. If the additional calories were from natural fruits and veggies, that is whats desired. If you are getting in additional healthy calories, the metabolism will burn and you will lose weight I am told. The program I am in said I need to be consuming some form of healthy food every two to three hours to keep the metabolism turned up. The problem is, I don't like veggies! So its hard for me to get in that many healthy calories.

I know you mean well, but this just isn't backed up by science. A calorie is a measurement of a unit of energy. A calorie is a calorie. Also, Meal timing being a factor is a myth. You cannot eat a specific thing, a specific time or in a specific way to speed up your metabolism.

OP, you really shouldn't eat below BMR, problem is, most don't know what their BMR is. This sometimes takes some time to figure out. Here is what happens. I know 1200 seems to be the magic number, ever wonder how that became the number? Because that is the lowest number MFP will suggest to anyone. It's no more accurate for you than 2200. Somewhere the is this metabolic number that is specific for you, your very own TDEE. That is the number of calories YOUR BODY burns in a day. What you want to do is find that number, then reduce slightly to lose weight in a healthy way. When you eat too little here is what happens. First, it's very difficult to get appropriate amounts of macro and micro nutrients if you are under eating. Sure, you will lose weight at 1200, question is, is that sustainable? Statistics say it isn't. Most people who lose with this method gain it back once they resume "normal" eating because they still don't understand how it works. I have yet to have anyone tell me, " I lost eating 1200 and I have maintained for over 3 years eating 1200". Not one. Please don't get discouraged, please educate yourself. Don't trust me or anyone else here, find out on you own. Good luck.

This site has a little too much pseudo science for me :( I'm glad this post came along
  • jackieg218
    jackieg218 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The BMR thing doesn't work for me either. I stay under 1000 most days... But I eat until I am full and when I am hungry I eat. I have been doing this since jan and I feel GREAT! I used to walk 4-5 miles a day, however, since the heat is so bad as of late I must admit I have stopped that.

If I ate my BMR I would gain, I tried that and sure enough... I gained...and I felt so stinking gross and bloated!

I don't advocate everyone doing what I am.... We are all different and I totally think our bodies let us know where it's happy number is...

Best of luck to you!!!!

Jackie
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in eating 1200 calories for many reasons (most of which are stated above). My thought is, what's the rush? Why do you need to lose 3 pounds a week instead of 1/2 or 1/4 pound? I eat tdee -15% which comes out to about 1900 calories a day. I lose very slowly, usually a pound a month. But I am never hungry, have tons of energy, and can eat basically whatever I want. I'm pretty close to my goal, so in a few more months I'll be done. I don't feel like weight loss is some sort of mad dash to a finish line.

Have any of you 1200 cal/day people given any thought to what maintenance will look like for you? If you're gaining weight at 1500 cal/day, what are you going to do when you get to your goal weight? Keep eating 1200 cal/day? Sounds pretty miserable to me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I do know that all calories are not created equal. If the additional calories included sugar and processed foods, thats not good. If the additional calories were from natural fruits and veggies, that is whats desired. If you are getting in additional healthy calories, the metabolism will burn and you will lose weight I am told. The program I am in said I need to be consuming some form of healthy food every two to three hours to keep the metabolism turned up. The problem is, I don't like veggies! So its hard for me to get in that many healthy calories.

all calories are not equal, really? Please expand on this..

A calorie is a unit of energy ...so one calorie of sugar = one calorie of chicken.

So you are saying that if I eat "healthy calories" and eat 1000 calories a day over maintenance that I will lose weight?

Additionally, meal timing has absolutely nothing to do with metabolism. You can eat six meals a day, one meal a day, or 24 meals every hour and the impact on metabolism is zero...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - this is why you should not use the threads for advice.

I would recommend getting advice from people on your friends list that have actually had success.

Whenever I need advice , I try to go to people that are on my list and I know have had success and have the kind of body that I would like to have...

Additionally, if 1200 was working for you then you should of kept eating at 1200.

If you are concerned that 1200 is too low and 1500 is too high...then split the difference and eat 1350 and see how that works......

I always say do what works for you and not what someone else thinks will work for you...
  • jackieg218
    jackieg218 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Have any of you 1200 cal/day people given any thought to what maintenance will look like for you? If you're gaining weight at 1500 cal/day, what are you going to do when you get to your goal weight? Keep eating 1200 cal/day? Sounds pretty miserable to me.

Yes I have and it pretty much looks like how I eat now... Only adding a few more calories to stop the loss. I love the way I eat now and I always feel full and satisfied. If I want cake or pizza or watermelon... I eat it. I just don't eat a whole cake anymore or an entire pizza... So yeah I have no problem knowing for the rest of my life I will eat this way... I eat what and when I want. Having done this for almost 8 months I don't even think about eating any other way.... This IS my new life, and I am good with that.

Jackie
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't believe in eating 1200 calories for many reasons (most of which are stated above). My thought is, what's the rush? Why do you need to lose 3 pounds a week instead of 1/2 or 1/4 pound? I eat tdee -15% which comes out to about 1900 calories a day. I lose very slowly, usually a pound a month. But I am never hungry, have tons of energy, and can eat basically whatever I want. I'm pretty close to my goal, so in a few more months I'll be done. I don't feel like weight loss is some sort of mad dash to a finish line.

what if1200 a day = 1 pound weight loss..

you are assuming that everyone is the same and has the same TDEE....
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options

No, I don't make assumptions. Someone made a comment earlier about how they lost 7 pounds in a few weeks eating 1200 calories, and only about a pound in a month eating above bmr. I just don't understand why people feel they need to lose so much weight so fast. Most people didn't gain a few pounds a week, why do they have the desire to lose that much so quickly?
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    This thread represents a lot of what is wrong with this site. :noway: Misinformation, half baked theories and out dated ideas.
  • Frelling_Tralk
    Frelling_Tralk Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to lose 3 pounds a week instead of 1/2 or 1/4 pound? I eat tdee -15% which comes out to about 1900 calories a day.

I wasn't losing ANYTHING when I upped my calories, I would have been satisfied with any gradual weight loss, however small
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    This thread represents a lot of what is wrong with this site. :noway: Misinformation, half baked theories and out dated ideas.

How so? Which part?
  • ndj1979
    Options

No, I don't make assumptions. Someone made a comment earlier about how they lost 7 pounds in a few weeks eating 1200 calories, and only about a pound in a month eating above bmr. I just don't understand why people feel they need to lose so much weight so fast. Most people didn't gain a few pounds a week, why do they have the desire to lose that much so quickly?

because everyone is searching for the magic formula to lose fat quick....just look at all the threads on cleanses, ketones, fat blasters, etc etc....

find a deficit that works out for you + working out more = fat loss....but that is just boring, I guess...
  • ndj1979
    Options

I was thinking the same thing...
  • ndj1979
    Options

How so? Which part?

well, there was the one poster that said a calorie does not equal a calorie, really?

and then went on to say that you should eat 6 meals a day to benefit metabolism...

oh, and that you have to eat clean to lose weight...

those were the top three that I noticed BS on ...
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options

How so? Which part?

well, there was the one poster that said a calorie does not equal a calorie, really?

and then went on to say that you should eat 6 meals a day to benefit metabolism...

I think some people confuse health and weight loss. Can you lose weight on cheeseburgers... sure, IIFYM... can you lose weight on the same cals worth of veggies? Sure... Is 1600 cals worth of veggies and lean meats healthier in the long run than 1600 cals of cheeseburgers. Absolutely... It all depends on your goals.
  • ndj1979
    Options

How so? Which part?

I think some people confuse health and weight loss. Can you lose weight on cheeseburgers... sure, IIFYM... can you lose weight on the same cals worth of veggies? Sure... Is 1600 cals worth of veggies and lean meats healthier in the long run than 1600 cals of cheeseburgers. Absolutely... It all depends on your goals.

IIFYM does not say that you eat cheese burgers all day ...

IIFYM says that you should eat about 80% calories from healthy sources and if you WANT (big if) to save some calories for something you like aka cheeseburger, ice cream, whatever, then 20% of that should come from those sources...
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options

How so? Which part?

IIFYM does not say that you eat cheese burgers all day ...

IIFYM says that you should eat about 80% calories from healthy sources and if you WANT (big if) to save some calories for something you like aka cheeseburger, ice cream, whatever, then 20% of that should come from those sources...

I didn't say that... I was using the acronym more as a way of saying "if it fits your macros" without typing it all out... Again, it has to do with your goals. Simple weight loss, get a bit healthier, or gain overall health. If you want overall health and not just weight loss it's not going to happen on cheeseburgers. A calorie equals a calorie for weight loss, but all foods are not equal for overall health. That's all I was trying to say.
  • xoxobollywood2
    Options
    Don't worry. Last summer I lost 24 lbs just by eating 1200 calories and walking 3 times a week. My bmr was and still is 1700. So after I lost 20 lbs I hit a plateau so I upped my calories to 1500, and lost 4 lbs in two weeks. After losing those 4I reached my goalweight. So I upped it once again to 1700 calories because I wanted to maintain my weight.....but guess what happened? Slowly but surely I gained the weight....and by Christmas I had gained 25+ lbs. Just think how awful I felt. I struggled so hard to lose weight and be in shape...and then this happened. Just cause every body is different. If someone eats 1700 calories to maintain their weight, doesn't mean that you'll also have to do it in order to maintain YOUR weight. Do what fits your lifestyle best!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Unless you are very tiny it's not likely your BMR is less than 1200.

According to Scooby calculator mine is 1191. I'm 5'2", 122 lbs and 59 years old at a desk job. Some BMR's are absolutely under 1200
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I agree do what works for you. Also the BMR calculations you get on websites are not 100% accurate. They are guestimates based on averages. You may indeed have a much lower BMR then the calculators online say :smile:

So true. I actually ended up having my RMR measured so I knew exactly how many calories I was burning a day on average because the 1200 calorie limit MFP recommended had some negative side effects for me (mood swings, more prone to severe binging, harder time focusing at work or remembering simple things, bad hunger pains, light-headedness). The doctor confirmed for me what past experimentation had also shown which was that 1300-1600 calories is ideal for me when trying to lose weight. As long as I stick with it and don't eat more than half of my exercise calories, I lose weight, regardless of whether I eat "clean" or not.

If 1200 calories works for you, stick with it.