12-14 lb loss a month too much???

Options
Can I get some opinions on my weight loss so far? My main questions is in regards to the monthly average that I seem to be losing. I am averaging about 12lbs a month. I am really happy with that number, but sometimes I look at that number and say....WTH??? Doesn't it seem like a bit much?

So far since I got more serious about losing:

July - 14lb loss
Aug - 13lb loss
Sept - 5lb loss so far (and there are still 20 days left)

I am eating all of the right foods, watching my portion sizes, drink a ton of water everyday (80-100 ounces a day), I avoid fast food (not only because its not good for you, but feeding a family of 6 is just way too much money for one meal). I do not drink any pop, juice or coffee (never really had an addiction to it).

I try to do some cardio twice a day for 6 days a week, however most of the time it ends up being only once a day.

Maybe, I am being to strict with myself? Its not that I am complaining about huge losses, it just seems a little strange to be losing so much so consistently.......

Replies

• knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Wow! You really ARE losing quickly. Are you finding it difficult to stick with what you are doing? Are you eating under, say, 1,200 calories per day? (That's just one of those "numbers out there" they say you shouldn't go below.) If the answer is no to both, I wouldn't worry too much. Perhaps you have a faster metabolism than some of us, or perhaps you are working out harder than some of us. You will find it slows down as you get closer to your goal.
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    WOW. I want to do whatever you are doing. Dont stress to much as long as you dont feel deprived and you are eating at least 1200 calories a day. Weight loss is so simple at times, enjoy before you hit a wall.
  • swahlund
    Options
    Be happy, Keep it up! Your body really wants the weight off and you are doing all the right things.
  • kerrera
    Options
    Well done on the loss. I also lost 10-12lb for first few months its levelled out now at about 7lb a month so dont panic. asong as you eat well and feel ok your fine.
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it depends on how your lifestyle before and how much you weighed prior to starting this journey. If you used to eat about 3000 cals a day and you never worked out you may lose more weight when you decrease your cal intake and take up exercising.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem and in the first few months, it wasn't really an issue for me because it's easy to lose at first, but 2 yrs into it now, I notice that from time to time, I'll start losing really fast again. This is not good for your body because you're less likely to keep the weight off and you will damage your skin if you continue. Your body has to have changes slow and steady to recover. This is the "other side of the coin" challenge. You want to lose, but it can't be too fast. You will find your balance. This is all just my experience, but based on that, my opinion is don't worry about it unless it continues to be this fast, then adjust your plan how you need to slow things down. Good luck! :)
  • juday3
    juday3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    WOW! thats really good. Are you doing any specific type of diet, like Atkins? Kudos to you, I wish I could lose that much :) keep up the great work.
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the reassurance! It really does mean a lot. I think that what keeps me going is setting little weekly goals. It almost feels as though those little goals are really attainable and before you know it you are at a major goal. Rest assured I am eating all of my calories, at some times I even binge a little.....And the only exercise I do is, DVD's (taebo, richard simmons) and I have a gazelle that I use as I watch some of my favorite shows. Other than that, I have 3 little ones 3 and under, so when I am not cooking and feeding and changing I am cleaning....I don't think I sit down enough throughout the day.....
  • redhotsmacker
    Options
    WOW! thats really good. Are you doing any specific type of diet, like Atkins? Kudos to you, I wish I could lose that much :) keep up the great work.

No not really any kind of special diet, just focusing more on low fat foods. Like for instance....sausages (normally very high in fat and calories) I discovered that they now make turkey sausages so I substitute. Also, I made the switch to whole grain breads, cereals and pastas. I avoid sugar, however I allow myself to a treat everyday, most times it is a cookie. But I only allow one! All I really wanted is the taste anyways....
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    hey redhot
    youre on track, according to Weight Watchers, who I am not a member of, you can lose 2..5 of pounds a week, no more than that

I lost 74 pounds in 5 months, then went to the Dr for a check up, and he was proud of the weight loss and said I added 20 years and more to my remaing life time

Just dont do more than 2.5, and youll be fine. All my medical vitals are normal now, so you re on the right path...Good luck Lloyd
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    hey redhot
    youre on track, according to Weight Watchers, who I am not a member of, you can lose 2..5 of pounds a week, no more than that

I lost 74 pounds in 5 months, then went to the Dr for a check up, and he was proud of the weight loss and said I added 20 years and more to my remaing life time

Just dont do more than 2.5, and youll be fine. All my medical vitals are normal now, so you re on the right path...Good luck Lloyd
  • b11nny
    Options
    Hi! Congratualtions on your weight loss! May I ask how much calories your consuming a day? Because sometimes when you consume a small amount of calories, you loose weight really fast. Especially if your always moving around and excercising. So It does seem much, but it just depends on what your actually doing.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I think if you feel good and are not hungry, then you should be ok. Eating healthy MOST of the time IS important...and you still have favorites in moderation! Keep doing what are! It's working! good luck on the rest of your journey!:flowerforyou:
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating your recommended calories & are following a meal & exercise plan, I'd say you're fine. Your body just seems to lose at a quicker pace (mine does as well sometimes). It also depends on the amount of weight you need to lose. It may come off quicker in the beginning and then taper off. Just make sure you're not starving yourself & you're getting enough to fuel your body & just enjoy the loss :)
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a friend yesterday he was about 360 lbs and he's lost a lot of that. He told me in the month of May he dropped no weight, then in June he dropped 15lbs in the month ... July slowed back down. He was at it since January. Don't worry as long as you are eating the way you say you are :)
  • redhotsmacker
    Options
    Hi! Congratualtions on your weight loss! May I ask how much calories your consuming a day? Because sometimes when you consume a small amount of calories, you loose weight really fast. Especially if your always moving around and excercising. So It does seem much, but it just depends on what your actually doing.

I am a pretty new member to mfp so I just started logging my food on here, but for an average day like today my menu would be:

Morning breakfast

1 Activia yogurt - 100 cals

Snack

Krispy Mini Cinnamon Streusel - 90 cals

Lunch

usually a salad, but today was a pizza pop..... 260 cals

Snack

1 chocolate chip cookie - 70 cals

Dinner

Hamburger patty - 200 cals
    Whole Wheat Bun - 180 cals
    Caesar Salad - 150 cals
    French Fries - 80 cals
    Hamburger fixings - cucumber, onion, lettuce, cheese, ketchup, mustard (Not sure about the amount of cals but I am assuming with the cheese probably somewhere around 100 cals

Bedtime Snack

Mini bag of smartpop popcorn - 100 cals

Water, water, water!!!!!

Daily total - 1330 Calories
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options

Lunch

Mmmmm what's a pizza pop?!
  • redhotsmacker
    Options

Lunch

Mmmmm what's a pizza pop?!

Well, a pizza pop is something I really shouldn't have eaten LOL....but it was really good :) Kinda like a panzerotti but much smaller. Made by pillsbury here in Canada.
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are eating enough you will be fine.

YOu may have a few months of loosing alot, then you may go through some months not loosing as much...Right now I average around 8 lbs a month.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!