bad inner thigh chafing

Options
2»

Replies

• megs2003
    Options
    Avoid cotton, it holds moisture and makes the chaffing worse. Use synthetic fabrics (counter-intuitive I know), like Dry Fit or similar. Body Glide is excellent, vaseline works too (and is cheap) but can stain clothes. Someone mentioned, bike shorts under your regular shorts, that would help too. Good luck and keep up the running!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You might want to try 'body glide'. You can get it at Sports Authority. It is for this exact problem.
    lol...thank you for the edit :embarassed:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue.

The only thing that works for me is bike shorts that go down at least to mid-thigh under my gym shorts. Helps reduce the rubbing quite a bit but it does make you sweat a little more than usual.

I have 3 pair of Nike DryFit bike shorts that are about knee length that are awesome for this. They are very breathable. They are a little expensive, but so worth it.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Either wear tight fighting shorts (kinda like spandex) under your looser shorts so you don't have any skin on skin contact....or pick up some body glide at a running store (sporting good stores might carry it too). It looks like deoderant, it's kind of like lube for your skin so to speak.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts are the best solution. I am almost sad when summer comes because then I have to think about chafing again, in shorts and tanks. Two Toms Sportshield is a roll-on product and it's much better at preventing chafing than BodyGlide.
  • katyperryismylife
    Options
    My dr. reccomended I use diaper rash cream. I forget what it's called but it smells disgusting. I normally would put it on at night and sleep with my legs buried under the cover because I'm sensitive to strong smells and it smelled JUST GROSS. But I would wake up to smooth legs- no more chafing!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Wear compression shorts and use Body Glide.

This. I wear boxer briefs and I don't get this anymore.
  • Style4Curves
    Options
    Monistat has a anti chafing gel that I have heard lots of good things about.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Plain deodorant works too. And definitely get some technical running shorts.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for great advice and responses i look forward to running chafe free very soon!

Body glide (or just plain o' vaseline) and ditch the cotton! I use vaseline for the crotch area and body glide on my chest. In my infantry days, I just went commando..but for running, your boys need a house! And really, no cotton. It's the worst. I don't even hike in it. Technical fabrics are amazingly comfortable.

Good luck and have fun!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue.

The only thing that works for me is bike shorts that go down at least to mid-thigh under my gym shorts. Helps reduce the rubbing quite a bit but it does make you sweat a little more than usual.

I have 3 pair of Nike DryFit bike shorts that are about knee length that are awesome for this. They are very breathable. They are a little expensive, but so worth it.

Compression shorts are the only thing that work for me. Save the lube for your car or.. uh... whatever.
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I used to use powder or corn starch.
  • As a lot of people have said avoid cotton underwear especially loose boxers: they bunch, stay wet rub etc.
    Bodyglide is ok. Although it burned my man bits when it got on there. There are a lot of other products out
    there they may be better: Sportshield trial size towlettes, Buttshield single use wipes both small enough for on the go.
    Aquaphore(spelling?) is a lot better then Vaseline. Vaseline doesn't last long at all I don't think. Aquaphore comes in
    small travel tubes also, think Blistex size. Check on line and specialty running stores for new products. Compression shorts are a good investment provided they fit properly.
    Walmart carries some thinner/cheaper ones that might be good for hot weather. They may be too thin for long runs.
    Some running specialty stores sell their name brand ones for less money as well and they're as good as UA etc.. Watch out for center seams down the front of compression underwear or you'll have another kind of chaffing issue. I've read that A&D diaper
    rash ointment is good for chafing after the fact. Use mild, unscented soap for cleansing and blot dry. Since you have a long history,
    you'd probably benefit from carry a treatment with you on your runs. Sometimes the consistent trauma over time makes you more
    prone to chafing in the future. Good luck!
  • Also make sure your basketball shorts aren't bunching up between your legs. Otherwise
    you have two layers of fabric rubbing. A thinner short material might help keep you cooler
    down there as well by pulling sweat away from the skin. Again some
    running stores like RoadRunner Sports carry longer less traditional looking running shorts.
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Absolutely get compression shorts or running tights. That will stop the chafing. Also something like body glide can help with any other trouble spots.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Use glide or wear compression-type underwear instead of cotton underwear. Some companies also make running/training shorts that have a liner similar to compression shorts (Flia comes to mind) rather than the standard thin mesh-type liner in most running shorts that won't stop your thighs from rubbing one another.