Weight Lifting in General - More to Come

Options
I posted this before in response to another enquiry but to share with those who did not catch it, here it is again.

These are ideas I learned going through Coopers Institute Fitness Training Course. Many power lifters will swear against it but remember they are in it for the competition. You are in it not to get injured while getting fit. Wisdom would say, stay in your zone. There are many ideas on how you can do things. I see no problem with doing it the way you are doing but here are two ways I trained people to do it.

For those building mass:

Monday and Thursday: Chest, Triceps, traps and Shoulders - abs
Tuesday and Friday: Upper and lower back, biceps, and abs
Wednesday and Saturday: Quads, hamstrings, inner/outer abductors, calves, and abs

For those trying to lose weight and gain tone:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday:

(In this order) - and after moderate 30 minutes of cardio. All sets 1 set 15 reps except where noted and a 3 second count between motions
Chest press 1 set of 15 (3 second count up and down)
Incline Chest press
Decline Chest press
Shoulder press
Cable row (keep angle of pulley toward your navel with back straight and do not use momentum)
leg extensions
hamstring curls
inner abductors
outer abductors
calf press
lower back presses
bicep curls (machine) 2 sets
triceps extension (machine) 2 sets

This is a gage but you also take into context the proper technique. Many people go beyond their normal plain of motion which causes problems with their joints so you should at least take a few lessons from a trained and certified personal trainer. Preferably one who does on teaching breaking the plane. Things like you should feel the weight so let the bar touch your chest or you are not working those squats right if your top of your quads are not parallel to the deck. For those who teach that to each his own but for the generalized person who wants to be fit and build a core this is dangerous and sets them up for injuries that will eventually discourage them from going to anyone's gym again. Enough of the macho junk. Lift wise and train for the long run. If you are training for a lifting competition all this goes out of the window because you should be working a trainer and spotter to ensure you are safe as well as stretching constantly but if you want to be around and not deal with the issues of improper training refer to this. Enough said.

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,359 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ktbug1186
    Options
    Thanks so much! :)
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Thanks for posting, exactly what i was looking for
  • kayleigh333
    Options
    Thanks for this!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, exactly what i was looking for
    You are welcome. There are so many people posting about going to the extreme but for someone who just wants to get in shape and be safe it is no time for machoism that will lead to injury when you can safely enjoy the experience and increase your muscular fitness.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Trying to get in for toning and weight loss, but I dont know what half of those things you mentioned are and how much weight should I use? ( I injured my back shoulders a couple months ago doing a lift class with the wrong weight)..

Any weight lifting for dummies you can provide?
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    bump

I was waiting for you to post this. Helps me a lot. Thaaaaaaaaaanks. :flowerforyou:
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    Bump for sure!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Trying to get in for toning and weight loss, but I dont know what half of those things you mentioned are and how much weight should I use? ( I injured my back shoulders a couple months ago doing a lift class with the wrong weight)..

The number of reps is your guide to intensity (i.e. how heavy the weights should be). The purpose of each set is to work the muscles until they can no longer perform the lift with perfect form. If the intensity guideline is "15 reps" then you should set the weight so that you can complete 15 reps with perfect form. If you struggle to do 10 reps, the weight is too heavy; if you can do 17 or more reps with perfect/good form, the weight is too light.

When in doubt, use lighter weights--you can always increase them the next workout.

Now, if you are just starting out, you have more "leeway". That's because the muscles will start to adapt and grow stronger with as little as 40% of your maximum.

I tell my clients who are just starting, that their initial goal is to feel the target muscles working and some fatigue by the time they reach 12-15 reps. In the beginning, you do NOT have to work to failure to improve. Take 2-8 workouts (really, however many you need) to work on form and get over any initial stiffness/soreness. When you start to feel more coordinated, then start to focus the intensity and your efforts on getting to the weight that results in "failure" within the prescribed number of reps.

Then, once you can complete the target number of reps with perfect form, that is the signal to increase the weight.

Remember: the goal is of each set is to reach "failure" within the prescribed number of repetitions. Just completing the reps without reaching "failure", or doing more than the prescribed number of reps will not allow you to make continuous progress. You need to keep increasing the weight.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later thanks :flowerforyou:
  • PamelaHoneyHuggy
    PamelaHoneyHuggy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ok call me the smart one... LOL What machines do I need? I have a total gym. A bike,ellipitcal,& treadmill. I also have 5lb weights. No clue how to use them.... Help! What do I do? Where do I start ? I really don't know what to do on the total gym. Thanks.
  • cparter
    Options

Azdak took the words right out of my mouth. Follow the guidelines he stated. He and I are definitely in sync on this.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Azdak took the words right out of my mouth. Follow the guidelines he stated. He and I are definitely in sync on this.

Sorry--didn't mean to bigfoot your topic.....:embarassed:
  • cparter
    Options
    Ok call me the smart one... LOL What machines do I need? I have a total gym. A bike,ellipitcal,& treadmill. I also have 5lb weights. No clue how to use them.... Help! What do I do? Where do I start ? I really don't know what to do on the total gym. Thanks.
    Going to a meeting so will reply to you privately. This post was written for people who join local fitness centers. I will have to align something more specific for you for an at home gym to get similar results but not as appealing as the gym experience but definitely helpful. Unless some of the rest of you will prefer I made another long post on here about honeybuggy's question if you too have an at home gym. Let me know and I will get back at this later to give a more detailed approach on what can be done in this situation.
  • cparter
    Options

Sorry--didn't mean to bigfoot your topic.....:embarassed:
    No No No.. I respect your inputs above many I have seen. You and I are a great team. Feel free to add on anytime. :happy:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,359 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

For those trying to lose weight and gain tone:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday:

(In this order) - and after moderate 30 minutes of cardio. All sets 1 set 15 reps except where noted and a 3 second count between motions
    Chest press 1 set of 15 (3 second count up and down)
    Incline Chest press
    Decline Chest press
    Shoulder press
    Cable row (keep angle of pulley toward your navel with back straight and do not use momentum)
    leg extensions
    hamstring curls
    inner abductors
    outer abductors
    calf press
    lower back presses
    bicep curls (machine) 2 sets
    triceps extension (machine) 2 sets

I don't want to sound like a critic or a know-it-all, but this is just a horribly inefficient and likely ineffective workout and I'd hate to see a bunch of people here start doing it and not ever get any results. I mean no offense to the OP or anyone else, but the Cooper Institute really needs to do some research if this is the kind of stuff they're teaching. It's really a disservice to the people who might follow a routine like this simply because they haven't been taught better. I say this in the nicest way I know how on a message board, but it's really just not good. Better than nothing, of course, but not good.

Consider this:

1) You don't really need to hit your chest in three different directions in one workout. You certainly CAN do that, but it isn't necessary.

2) You put a whole lot of emphasis on the chest but almost none on the back (only one back exercise). This is a common problem as people tend to want to work on the mirror muscles, but the back shouldn't be overlooked. It contains some of the largest and most powerful muscles in the human body (second only to the glutes/hamstrings/quads). Don't neglect them.

3) The leg portion of your workout is 100% isolation movements. That's an extremely ineffective way to train. A person would be far better served by throwing all those exercises out the window and replacing them with various forms of squats and lunges. Our bodies don't work in isolation, so it makes no sense to train them that way.

4) Lower Back Presses - I don't know for sure what this is, but if it's what I think it is then it's a shoulder injury waiting to happen.

5) Curls and Tricep Extensions - Waste of time for most people. These muscles get plenty of work with the various push and pull compound exercises that you can do. Does it hurt to do them? No. Does it help? Not really, but it does take up precious time that you could be using to do exercises that WILL make a difference for you.

I like that you promote a full body workout three days a week for fat loss, but in my opinion the workout you listed there is terribly inefficient. You could get a better workout with just 6 compound exercises. I would suggest something like the following in lieu of the workout above for a beginner's fat loss workout:

Superset 1:
    Squats
    Cable Seated Row

Superset 2:
    Side or Dynamic Lunges
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

Superset 3:
    Upright Row / Overhead Press Combo
    Swiss Ball Crunches

Do 2-3 sets of 15 wth 60 seconds rest between sets, alternating exercises within the superset until you've completed all the sets. Then move on to the next superset. Follow it up with 30 minutes or so of your favorite cardio. Use enough weight for each exercise that the last 2-3 reps are very challenging but not so much weight that you cannot finish the set. Try to increase the weight a little bit each time you do the workout. You'll get a better workout this way with less than half the exercises and probably twice the results.

Again, I mean no offense to the OP or anyone else. I just hate to see people doing workouts like this when they could do so much more with less. :smile:
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options

I had to google a couple of these, so here are a few links with small video clips

Incline Chest press

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralClavicular/DBInclineBenchPress.html

Decline Chest press

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBDeclineBenchPress.html

Shoulder press

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/DBShoulderPress.html

Cable row

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/CBSeatedRow.html

leg extensions

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/LVLegExtension.html

hamstring curls

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/LVSeatedLegCurl.html

inner abductors

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/HipAbductor/LVSeatedHipAbduction.html

calf press

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Gastrocnemius/LVSeatedCalfPress.html

lower back presses

bicep curls (machine)

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Biceps/CBCurl.html

triceps extension (machine)

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/LVTriExtGripless.html
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    what can i do instead of the cable row? i would love to do it but don't have access to that machine until i switch gyms lol
  • cparter
    Options
    what can i do instead of the cable row? i would love to do it but don't have access to that machine until i switch gyms lol
    You can do dumb bell or straight bar rows. Stand with your knees slightly bent, your chin up while bending your upper torso about 45 degrees. Using two dumb bells or a straight bar bring the weight just below your breast with your elbows forming a 90 degree angle on both sides and back down to a soft elbow.