Replies

• ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    Apparently, I am a "hot dish" person :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :smooched:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

As for me, I'm from Minnesota, where we don't say any weird things, don't have an accent, and pretty much speak Englsh the way it was intended....donchaknow!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was told since I have been back from going home to MN that my inner Minnesotian has come out.

It is a HOT DISH! :wink:
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    Options
    YAY!!
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    In Yorkshire UK we say "shut thee cake oil" which means close your mouth and I think we are are all trying to do this on here!
  • GetBackontrack
    Options
    I am orginally from NC, where 'my goodness' is often used for any gossip conversation.
    Then, when living in Maryland for 10 years, I hated how they would indicate a beach day as "Go'ng down to the ocean, Hun"
    However Hun stuck with me and I say all the time. I use it still even though I have been in Florida for 5 years.

I can't think if a special Florida saying. We are all just a big melting pot down here.
    You know what i mean, Hun.
  • tater8589
    Options
    Im from Texas... Ya'll, gonna, wanna, yaunto (do you want to) Git'er Done... and some people actually do say YeeHa. Lol

Oh, and its not a pop or a soda, its a coke... lol. Don't ask me why I just grew up hearing it.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    In western Canada (Alberta) its always a fight over ginch, gotch, or gunch. You know, tighty whities? LOL Don't get your gitch in a knot! LOL

Oh and soakers vs. booters when you get your sneakers wet in a puddle.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Where did "chillax" originate from?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I'm finna go to the store. Fixing to, going to...

Just sayin'...
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Where I currently live there is the word smib. It inferrs that the person is not the brightest bulb in the box and the parents may also be brother and sister... I live in southern maryland.
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    As for me, I'm from Minnesota, where we don't say any weird things, don't have an accent, and pretty much speak Englsh the way it was intended....donchaknow!

I never thought I had an accent either, but people from the south tell me I have a strong accent for this region. So, you might really have an accent too!

My post was 100% sarcastic. For some reason, everyone here in MN is convinced that we don't speak with an accent, but I think the movie "Fargo" pretty much proves our accent.

I think everyone has an accent. I don't know if there an an absolute correct way to speak english, but I think if there is, it would have to be one of the English accents.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I live in Glasgow, Scotland, and most of it's not for public consumption. I have a few personal favourites, and they're not really appropriate for general conversation either but I'll share a few for fun (and by and large, the mean sounding ones are actually terms of endearment - we're a weird bunch)...

1. 'Youz gawn tae the dancin'?' (are you [pluran' going for a dance on Saturday night?)
    2. 'S/he's got a face like a dug chewin' a nettle. (s/he's not all that attractive)
    3. 'Get it right up ye' (get it right up you - i.e. a vehement 'no' or disagreeing with the aforementioned whatever)
    4. Bawbag (this is my absolute favourite. Translates literally as a gentleman/s *kitten* and can be used to describe a person, i.e. 'he's a pure bawbag. As I said, can be in jest or as an insult)
    5. Some parts of Scotland say 'ken at the end of sentences, ken? As in y'know?
    6. Far north of Scotland is hard for even me to understand: 'furryboots ur ye gawn?' - whereabouts are you going?. Quines and loons - girls and boys.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm in Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland

In NI we are known for adding "so it is" or "so i did" to the end of EVERY sentence i.e. "That dress is lovely so it is"

We're also known for saying "me" instead of "my" i.e. "I'm away for me dinner"

"away a that wi ye ye wee skitter ye" roughly translates as "go away you naughty person" :tongue:

Honestly, there are so many I wouldn't even have time to post them!

Please see typical NI dictionary here: http://tenaciouscree.deviantart.com/art/Dictionary-of-Northern-Ireland-1106810
  • BullDozier
    Options

ie "They're after me Lucky Charms!"
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    Options

ie "They're after me Lucky Charms!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm confused Bran....what should she have said??

Oh don't tell me... you're a "hot dish" person too :huh: :smokin:

It's a casserole... green bean casserole.... sweet potato casserole... tater tot casserole.... :laugh: :laugh:

The newest issue of "Cooks Country" has a whole article on "hot dish" - what it means, some receipes.. it's funny 'cause I never heard of it until I read it and now I see it in this thread.. :smile:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

I never thought I had an accent either, but people from the south tell me I have a strong accent for this region. So, you might really have an accent too!

My post was 100% sarcastic. For some reason, everyone here in MN is convinced that we don't speak with an accent, but I think the movie "Fargo" pretty much proves our accent.

Don't get me started on Fargo. That is a caricature of a MN accent especially if you are from an urban area of MN. It shouldn't sound like someone is speaking with an accent if the movie is depicting your accent. Movies do that to southern accents also. It is to make them seem country and dumbed down. :explode: Sorry for the rant.
  • BullDozier
    Options

Don't get me started on Fargo. That is a caricature of a MN accent especially if you are from an urban area of MN. It shouldn't sound like someone is speaking with an accent if the movie is depicting your accent. Movies do that to southern accents also. It is to make them seem country and dumbed down. :explode: Sorry for the rant.
    It is exagerated in the sense that everyone in the movie (from MN) had the accent. Not everyone sounds like that. However, my moms family is from Brainerd, and when I go up there I definitely hear the exagerated form of the accent in a lot of people.
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm in Chicago, but originally from Ohio. I say homeboy and homegirl a lot. When I say it I generally mean some stranger/person I don't know. I.E. "Homeboy at the store just wouldn't take no for an answer." I don't know of any of my friends who say this, and I have no idea where it came from.

I also say not at the end of sentences (I think this is a old-country German thing) I.E. "You have homework tonight, not?" My family and my husband understand, but almost everyone else asks me to repeat myself, lol. Another German thing (my family is German) is saying "Ach" when you screw up. I.E. "Ach, MrsSki." Instead of saying like, "Darnnit MrsSki".

It's pop, not soda. But I have trained myself to say soda here in Chicago, because that's what everyone calls it here, but it sounds so weird coming out of my mouth

LOL! My mom's from Germany and I grew up speaking the language so I slip German words in my regular day all the time. My husband has to constantly say "I don't know what you're saying. Remember, I don't speak German" LOL
    We say "Ach kvatch" all the time (no idea if I spelled that right).