Workout Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis? Any recommendations?

Options
Hi everyone,

I have Plantar Fasciitis and my doctor told me the shoes I've been wearing aren't helping matters. I need to find a shoe that provides good support overall but especially in the arch and I also need to do it on a budget, say roughly $65 or under.

With the trend of "barefoot style" running shoes that's been pretty difficult though. The doctor told me to look for a shoe that can't be bent backwards (sounded odd but then she showed me that my current Nikes can fold almost completely in half pretty easily :noway: ), feel somewhat heavy compared to the lightweight trend, has extra support in the arch, and she gave me a couple brands she recommends to consider including Asics, New Balance, Saucony, and Brooks.

Does anyone have good recommendations? I'm a woman so preferably women's shoes but if the shoes aren't too manly looking I wouldn't be opposed to just getting a men's shoe and going the couple sizes down. I'd also prefer to find something that's still somewhat fashionable and colorful because I'll be wearing them most of the time, not just to work out. Thanks!

Replies

• christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I had pf for three years and gained about 70 lbs. that I'm still trying to lose. :grumble: My podiatrist sent me to a running store to get fitted for Brooks with a high arch support. He wrote on his RX pad what he wanted and they gave me a discount for bringing it in. They were well over your budget but worth it.
  • DefyGravity810
    DefyGravity810 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help! Good to know they might offer a discount that way though. I'm afraid anything good will wind up being too expensive for me though- I've been unemployed for a while now and haven't had any luck even getting a job in retail. :frown: I do have inserts my doctor made that help but she said that's not enough on it's own if I'm working out. In fact, it had calmed down for a few months until I started exercising. I don't want to stop though, I've come to far and still have quite a ways to go but I suspect aside from the exercise losing the weight may help take some strain off it anyway?

Good luck to you! pf is awful. Though, I'm encouraged by the fact that you said you had it...past tense sounds nice!
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    I've had it for years in both feet. I wear Brooks Ghosts for running/high impact workouts. I used to use "shock absorber" cushioned inserts, but don't need them any more. Brooks run about $90, but you may be able to find last year's model on sale.

FWIW, the 2 things that I believe made the biggest difference for me (and I tried it all - PT, chiro, podiatrist, graston technique, prescription pain meds, OTC meds, stretching, resting, sleeping in the boot, etc. ) are
    1) Strassbourg socks. They are ugly and take some getting used to them, but they keep your foot flexed while sleeping and prevent inflammation.
    2) Birkenstocks. I use them like slippers - they are the first thing I do when I get out of bed, and even if I wear other shoes all day, I immediately put them on when I get home. They distribute your weight to the edges of your heels rather than the centers, and they have amazing arch support. I know they aren't the cutest, but worth it to walk without pain.

One last thing - if you can find them online, get a pair of arch braces. They looks like kidney beans with Velcro straps you wrap around your foot. They can add arch support to even a less than ideal shoe. I've never seen them in a store, though.

ETA: I still consider myself to have it, b/c if I don't wear the socks to bed, stretch, and baby my feet, they start hurting again. But I do all of those things, and have been pain free for the most part for the past 2 years.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store (not a chain sports store) and get fitted. Barefoot running is great, I am a huge fan of the theory, but it is not necessarily the answer. You need to get a shoe fitted for your gait. A motion control shoe like the one that solved my Plantar Fascitis may cause more problems for you if it is not what you need.

Running shoes are very individual. Get fitted.
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thankfully my health plan provided me with orthotics for my sneakers and shoes made by a podiatrist. no problems since and it's been over 5+ years.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    youdontknowwhatyousaw Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    On the advice of the foot doctor, I just bought a good pair of insoles (soft sole) and took the insoles out of my converse and wore the boot he provided for me at night. Worked really well rather cheaply. But, the pain actually went totally away when I started wearing shoes with negative soles to work, as an added bonus my back pain has almost completly disappeared because the negative soles change the way you stand. I have a pair of New Balance,can't remember which ones, that were about $40, that helped reduce the pain.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Just to give a perspective that shows that different things work for different people...

I gave up on everything that's been mentioned--Strausburg sock, night splint, birkenstocks, PT, chiropractor, cortisone shot, really supportive shoes, etc. After FIVE years of this hunt for a solution, I've actually decided that I agree with the barefoot shoe movement. I think we have over-supported our feet so they aren't working the way they should. I got some Merrell Bareform shoes and at least I can say that things haven't gotten worse, and I've actually been able to resume running a bit!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    you'll need professionally prescribed orthotics, preferably from a podiatrist. Be sure to get the leg length confirmed in case one leg is shorter than the other. It's pretty standard but sometimes the podiatrist forgets. About $300 per pair. you'll need more than one pair over time. forget sandals.

for running the ideal shoe is the Newton, see their website. the shoe trains you to change your gait so that you no longer plant your heel when you run. more than $65 I'm afraid. straight last plus the training to change your gait. follow the training on the website.

Night splint, pretty cheap, abut $20 at CVS. you keep your foot in it at night and it stretches the tendons. don't overstretch! just enough to tug the tendon at night should be sufficient. you'll get used to it.

Gym - work the abductors and the adductors muscles. those funny machines where you push your legs together and apart. those muscles support the foot believe it or not and keep your ankle from pronating which aggravates the fasciitis.

Been living with it for years without surgery following all these rules. but beats pain and surgery.
  • smurlene
    smurlene Posts: 72
    Options
    New Balance are the only shoes that have helped me.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My podiatry staff recommends New Balance and strongly recommends going to a NB store and getting fitted.
  • c3jaam
    c3jaam Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My podiatrist made me orthotics and mentioned New Balance cross trainers. I am not a runner, but they had more support then cheap store ones.
  • Maine2
    Maine2 Posts: 12
    Options
    After reading everyone's posts, I've decided it all depends on the structure of your foot. I have been wearing ASICS for years and suffered with PF for several years. I would have to say my orthotics were the best thing for my feet. I have a very high instep and arch. In my case cushioning is very important. Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's made to fit "your" foot. Good luck!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Brooks and Asics work for me. Only ones I can find that are really wide enough.