Is Almond Milk as good as it sounds??

Options

Replies

• dbabyx91
    dbabyx91 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I recently tried Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Breeze Vanilla for 30 cal per serving and it was great with cereal! I have never been a plain milk drinker, but i really missed a good bowl of cereal and the almond milk makes it low calorie!
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    i like the blue diamond vanilla almond breeze (sweetened) or the aldi brand vanilla almond milk (sweetened).
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I tried it, and it's okay, but I'm not mad about it. I find it to be a bit bitter for my tastes. Not terrible, but not something I go cuckoo bananas for, either.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I use 30 calorie Blue Diamond Almond Milk as an alternative to regular skim milk (90cal ) in my Protein Shakes. (Saves about 60 cal) Don't care to have it with cereal or to drink it on it's own.
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    I don't particularly like it...but then, I was never a fan of drinking cow milk before I went vegan, either. (Although I did like goat milk...) But I do use almond milk in recipes because I find it more closely approximates the creaminess of cow milk in recipes, better than soy milk and especially rice milk. I've heard that cashew milk is better in recipes than almond, though, because it has a more neutral flavor, so your recipe doesn't taste as nutty in the end. Haven't tried cashew milk yet, though. I imagine it'd be more expensive, since cashews are more expensive than almonds.
  • nak1a
    nak1a Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I bought Silk's Almond Milk because the store didn't have my normal milk: Silk Vanilla Soy and I didn't like the flavor. I might try another brand or the Silk Vanilla Almond Milk instead, but for now I'm sticking with Silk Vanilla Soy, its my favorite. :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Real milk FTW.
  • buxfan
    buxfan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Love Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond in my eggs for omelets or scrambled - SO GOOD!! My son eats it over his cereal! Great stuff! The Blue Diamond unsweetened coconut almond is also really good in shakes (haven't tried it in anything else).
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I normally get Silk. And for some reason... its cheaper in the cooler/dairy dept of my store, they have it on the shelf too, but its like a dollar more there? weird.

That's weird, I've never seen it on the shelf. :huh: I'll have to see if I can find it next time, heh. I don't know, I wouldn't trust a "milk" that wasn't in the cooler/dairy department. Maybe almond and soy milk doesn't need to be refrigerated though... I don't know. :o

Does anyone know where to get coconut milk, by the way? I can't seem to find it in the dairy aisle at my Walmart where all the other alternative dairy products are.
    [/quote

Coconut milk comes in cans in the Asian foods section.
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love almond milk, it has a very clean light taste
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    It truly depends on your taste buds. Didn't float my boat, but was ok in shakes but couldn't do on cereal or drink it. I had same issue with coconut as well.

I found Carbmaster reduced sugar milk and love the taste of it (and the lower carbs as I'm Type 2).
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    home made is much much better for you and better tasting. They put **** in the store bought that should not be going into your body.
  • Mumble_Bee
    Mumble_Bee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to make the switch to almond milk over regular milk. It has a nice flavor, but I'm just not used to it yet in cereal and whatnot. Something I do love... a cup of unsweetened almond milk, a Tbsp cocoa powder, a little stevia, and a banana in a blender. Sooo good!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    why not try it?
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I much prefer almond milk to soy milk. I've tried Silk, Blue Diamond and Full Circle brands. The Full Circle brand is by far the best...very creamy and most like regular milk, even the original unsweetened version. For some reason, though, it's very hard to find and only one store in my area stocks it, when it's available. For that reason, I recommend Blue Diamond unsweetened as a second choice as it's most like Full Circle. Silk is just not as creamy and has an aftertaste, in my opinion, although it is more readily available. I only purchase the refrigerated almond milks, not the off-the-shelf varieties.
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened, vanilla or plain, Blue Diamond or Silk...all 30-35 calories per cup and delicious. Great on cereal!!
  • FamilyMan44
    Options
    The Blue Diamond Almond Breeze is my favorite. I like them all, sweetened, unsweetened, and the new coconut milk/almond milk blend is really good too!

I LOOOOOOVE the coconut/almond blend!:heart:
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I only purchase the refrigerated almond milks, not the off-the-shelf varieties.

I don't believe there is actually any difference between the two except that one is already cold when you buy it.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Real milk FTW.

^^^^
    THIS ... If cow milk gives you yummy issues then try goat (love it) or sheep milk ... unless you are allergic to casein, severely lactose intolerant, or vegan, real dairy shouldn't be a problem. If you are really dead set on drinking fake milk then make your own ... the store bought stuff has stabilizers and thickeners, and while they may come from natural sources ... do you really want to be drinking tapioca starch and guar gum ... if it wasn't fortified, fake milk wouldn't even compare nutritionally to real dairy ...
  • myhealthjournal
    myhealthjournal Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    it is AMAZING!!
    i only just tried it myself.
    i mix one cup of it with 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
    leave it over night and have chia pudding for breakfast with strawberries :)