Give me a break, Subway!

Options
Went in to a local Subway yesterday (not the one I regularly use BTW) and ordered a sandwich (no cheese or mayo, of course). The guy in front of me got a foot long tuna and asked for extra mayo. The girl put 4 lines across the sandwich and he said "let me get some more", so she put 4 MORE LINES ACROSS! It was so thick with mayonnaise that she could hardly close it up to wrap.

So my turn comes and the guy making my sandwich COUNTS OUT the number of black olives. 3!!! He reaches in and gets a handful of banana pepper rings and counts them out, too until he only has one ring left in his hand. So what does he do? He reaches back over and puts the last ring back in the container. I looked at him and said "Man, you guys are stingy with the veggies, I'm glad I don't come here regularly." He just said "They're clamping down."

Hey, I know these are tough economic times, but I'm trying to get the most out of my sandwich!

Replies

• Squash97
    Options
    That's rediculous! Maybe if they were stingier with their mayo they would be able to allot for more veggies!!!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I know that if you ask for "extra" of something they'll put it on. My boyfriend always asks for extra pickles when they're doing the veggies and they always put more on.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I always ask for extra olives & pickles. I have been noticing not getting very much spinach on my sandwich anymore. I don't get lettuce.

If the tuna sandwich already has mayo in it, it's extra gross that guy in front of you wanted so much more. Maybe he should have just bought a jar and dunked the sandwich in it.
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was in line with a guy once that got bologna, cheese, mayo, salt, and oil and that's all. It gave me a headache just watching them make it!
  • Serowland
    Serowland Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Of course we should also notice how much mayo the guy in front of you got! How many useless calorie was that! I always say look around for the largest person (I know people look at me as well, but I'm changing that!!) look at what they are ordering and avoid that! They really shouldn't be so stingy with the veggies
    Your story reminded me of one day in Starbuck's this very large man ordered a piece of cake insisting on the largest slice! It really makes me think about what I need, both at home and in public! You are doing a great job at Subway!
  • Vegebel
    Options
    If you go there again you should ask for a double veggie sub- twice the number of everything please!
  • Lauris83
    Options
    lol ok seriously he couldnt just make himself a bologna sandwich at home? I WISH they would skimp out on my veggies! :explode:
  • beccasetsfire
    Options
    Oh man if they did that with my sandwhich it's be mostly bread!
  • Kresent
    Kresent Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Three olives is ridiculous. I'd have walked out. I have before when the sandwich stuffer was uppity! Our local Safeway deli has a better selection and the price per oz. is about half of Subway.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I went there the other night and got a $5 footlong. No meat ... No cheese. Just mustard and some veggies. When i asked for extra tomatoes, I was told it would be an extra $0.50. I pointed out that they were getting off light, considering I'm already paying for meat and cheese that I'm not getting, but no dice.

In the end I tried to just tell myself that it's not worth the stress for fifty cents.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    That's just ridiculous, arsenal!

I've also never understood why people ask for oil on their sandwiches...you would think the flavor would be WAY too subtle to stand up to the other ingredients.
  • rastrillo
    rastrillo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey Bud!
    That has to be the local owner. I went into the one close to the house and ordered a 6" veggie with pepper jack on 9 grain wheat. When the "artist" asked what I wanted on it, I replied, "some of all that" "easy on the lettuce". I was not disappointed.
  • emersoam
    Options
    I've noticed this, too...especially over the past few 3-4 months it's gotten bad. I rarely go to Subway anymore (maybe 1-2X per month). After learning about how much SODIUM is in those "healthy" sandwiches, I don't feel that great about going there. It's insane. I've been posting endless messages on their facebook fan page about offering some low-sodium meats...no response. You can get low sodium turkey meat from your local Walmart grocery store for god's sake!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    No no, it's healthy to get all that mayo because it's SUBWAY! It's also healthy to get double bacon and cheese on white bread, because that one guy lost lots of weight eating only Subway. Subway is always healthy, no matter what you get. Everyone knows that.

Personally, I always get extra spinach. I agree that it varies place to place, and even person to person. I splurged today and got a 6" buffalo chicken. I asked for "just a little ranch", and the woman comenced the dousing of my sandwhich, single handedly taking it from small splurge to "now I have to watch what I eat for dinner because I just ate 200 calories of ranch dressing, yay!"
  • JoyJulRay
    JoyJulRay Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I go to subway I always ask them to pull the soft part of the bread out of the middle and they ask why, Just tell them Im on a diet. Never had a problem with getting extra veggies. I got a 6 inch the other day the girl put so much spice mustard on it I couldnt eat it, and I told her lite.
  • arsenal45
    Options
    It's hard for me to find one that offers spinach anymore.
  • arsenal45
    Options
    Be careful with that buffalo chicken. I checked the calories on it when I was interested in trying it and it is SKY HIGH. Better off getting an oven roasted chicken breast sandwich and carrying a little bottle of Frank's Red Hot in your pocket.
  • awesome_orchid
    Options
    Mine carries cinnamon rolls but they also pointed out that those came OUT after Jared lost his weight. She said he has kept his weight down all by himself! And then also, why does Subway expect ppl to fill up on bread?
    274650.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I was in line with a guy once that got bologna, cheese, mayo, salt, and oil and that's all. It gave me a headache just watching them make it!

ok sorta off the topic but ...LOL I find it funny that subway has bologna! we don't have bologna in our subways here in Canada lol (that I know of anyhow!)... we also don't have the option of spinach :( me want that choice!

but yeah that's a little rediculous, both the excess and the stinginess
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I go to the one by my office a couple of time a week (the only non"fast-food" place in the area) and it really depends on who is making it. I always get a veggy sub with cheese and sweet onion sauce. Most of the people load up on the veggies but there is this one guy who puts the same amount on as he would if it was a meat sub. If I am only getting the veggies, I expect a lot more!!