Workout Plan

Options
A few years ago I did Tae Bo, weight lifting, and I ran every day and felt great. I seem to loose interest if I'm not having fun and Tae Bo did that for me. I want to come up with a home workout plan that incorporates running, cycling, Tae Bo, and some sort of strength training. If yoga would work for strength training than I would go that route. I've thought about putting a pullup bar in my garage, resistance band, maybe some dumbbells.

What I want to accomplish is a strong core to accommodate cycling, rock climbing,and kayaking and, over all, I want to increase my energy and metabolism. A six pack would be awesome. I almost had one in my younger years, but in the last few months I've gained 30 pounds. There's a good couple inches of fat that I will have to work on burning. I'm not looking to bulk up, the sports I'm in to benefit from a lower body weight.

Do I need to have a plan? Sometimes I think it;s the repetition of the same workout day after day that turns me off to exercising. Would I be fine just making sure I did SOMETHING everyday?

So, with all this considered, I am open to any and all opinions and suggestions. Go ahead and ask me questions too, because I just read this back to myself and isn't entirely clear. :huh: I am a blank slate...:smile:

Replies

• stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell. Fantastic full body strength with cardio. Free workouts on youtube by FitnessBlender. I like to do 4 minute kettlebell circuits with 5 minute short jogs. 3 of each of set. Insanity and P90X take all workouts up a notch and incorporate strength with cardio conditioning some of it kind of Taebo-like. If you look hard enough you can find them free.
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I mix it up, no actual plan or set schedule no set reps, just keep it in memory. I've done a lot of rip videos, so I know all the moves. I do a combination of squats, jump lunges, stretches, full core workout. I also do push ups, burpees, hamstring stretches and any thing else I can think of.

I also do work with an easy bar, dumb bells and chin up bar and resistance bands.

Something else you might try is doing your workouts out side, if you have the private space, it changes things up and the uneven ground helps with balance.

Hope this helps.
  • MommaShorty
    MommaShorty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    pinterest.com has a section for different workouts you could always check out there and see if you can mix it up there just a thought
  • dport7
    Options
    Kettlebell. Fantastic full body strength with cardio. Free workouts on youtube by FitnessBlender. I like to do 4 minute kettlebell circuits with 5 minute short jogs. 3 of each of set. Insanity and P90X take all workouts up a notch and incorporate strength with cardio conditioning some of it kind of Taebo-like. If you look hard enough you can find them free.

Aways wanted to try kettle ball. I'm currently using 25 pound, each arm, dumb bells, What's a good weight to start with using a kettle ball?
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I run 5 days a week (3 easy, 1 speed day and 1 long day, starting to average 25-30 miles a week). I don't have time for a weight training program (I'd have to go to the gym for that) but I heard that strength training really helps prevent running injuries. So I started the You Are Your Own Gym program (there is a book and an app, you could use either or both).

YAYOG is a progressive body weight strength program. It doesn't require any equipment really, just stuff you have around the house. I did put up a pullup bar which made things easier than hanging off of doors with weak hinges. I do the program for 30-40 minutes 3 times a week. Lots of pushups, squats, lunges, pullups, etc. Mostly full body stuff that focuses on your core. I'd say it's helping because after 2 previous attempts to add the 5th day of running, it finally took.

I also add in yoga and ballet based stretching twice a week.
  • dport7
    Options
    I run 5 days a week (3 easy, 1 speed day and 1 long day, starting to average 25-30 miles a week). I don't have time for a weight training program (I'd have to go to the gym for that) but I heard that strength training really helps prevent running injuries. So I started the You Are Your Own Gym program (there is a book and an app, you could use either or both).

YAYOG is a progressive body weight strength program. It doesn't require any equipment really, just stuff you have around the house. I did put up a pullup bar which made things easier than hanging off of doors with weak hinges. I do the program for 30-40 minutes 3 times a week. Lots of pushups, squats, lunges, pullups, etc. Mostly full body stuff that focuses on your core. I'd say it's helping because after 2 previous attempts to add the 5th day of running, it finally took.

I also add in yoga and ballet based stretching twice a week.

My workout is much the same as yours. I mix it up. I'v done most of the get ripped videos, so I know the moves in my head. I just mix them up, works well for me also.

My workout time is 1 hour per day with one rest day. I time each 1/2 hour. Like you, I,ll do a full core, lunges, jump lunges, squats, a variety of crunches, working with 20 pound dumb bells.

my second 1/2 is three set of twelve, pushups, burpees, "those burpsees are hard" and 50, each leg hamstring stretches. Pretty much by then I'm a puddle of sweat and can't do much more. I also do all this out side in the noon day sun, keeps the pores cleaned out.

Keep up the hard work, it sounds like it's working for you.