Is Almond Milk as good as it sounds??

Options

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I love almonds but don't like almond milk at all. I only really use milk in tea though, so maybe it doesn't work well in hot drinks.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I love 30 cal almond milk
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    I looked at Almond Milk, noticed it doesn't have much protein so I stick with Simple Truth Organic Soy Milk, I like it.
  • emzypemzy93
    emzypemzy93 Posts: 185
    Options
    Yup it is!!
  • NYgirl1990
    NYgirl1990 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It tastes amazing! I get the 30 calorie unsweetened vanilla :)

I use it for smoothies, coffee, and oatmeal.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I use it as my coffee creamer, I use it to cook with, I use it with cereal and oatmeal, I use it in fruit smoothies... I love it, and at 30 cals, i cant resist!
  • MaureensFreshStart
    MaureensFreshStart Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't care for the taste of it over cow's milk - I bought one container, and it continues to sit in my fridge after I tried it twice, Lol. Luckily the guy I'm now seeing likes it, so it won't go to waste when he comes over.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joes - the unsweetened vanilla is delicious. It smooth and not grainy like some of the others
  • Sailfindragon
    Sailfindragon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Love Almond milk. I use Blue Diamond - Almond breeze or Alpro Almond milk.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I LOVE unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk! My husband has even started to use it over milk.

The only thing I'd advise it to start eating it in something before you start drinking it straight. I put it in my cereal for a while until I got use to the taste. Don't start drinking it thinking it will be like regular milk, it's not.

Good luck!
  • harehartley
    Options
    i like all the alpro products and at unsweetened 26kal its great. use it with my porridge and berries.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I use the Silk brand Unsweetened Original Almond Milk because it is GMO free! It is pretty yummy. I use it in my coffee as creamer (delish), and I use it in my kid's cereal (they love it-no complaints!). Best of all for my family--the unsweetened original is extremely LOW CARB. :) We are happy with it. Esp. the Silk brand bc of the fact that it's GMO free. (It has the little "Non-GMO Project" label on it and everything!) LOVE IT!
  • 07JKGirl
    07JKGirl Posts: 45
    Options
    I too love the Blue Diamond Unsweetened Coconut!!!, I've even been known to just drink it plain, but I mostly use it for protein shakes and cereal.
    omg yes yes yes to this! the blue diamond coconut blend has made me love cereal now.
  • alexandria674
    Options
    I drink Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk before bed and it is really good!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Yes! I make my own, tastes a lot better I've found..

1 cup almonds
    3-4 cup water
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbs cinnamon

I blend it in my vitamix and then strain it through a cheese cloth.

Voila! Fresh almond milk.
    I gotta try this! Thanks for sharing your recipe and the cinnamon would give it a great touch.

OP...you asked every single question I had myself.. really glad you posted.

Thanks all for taking time to respond...I'll get through the other pages when time permits as I'm sure there's even more wonderful ideas there..
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen Califia Farms mentioned yet. I far prefer that to Silk.

And to the poster that said the only difference between the almond milk found on the shelf at room temp and that found in the refrigerated section, you are incorrect. Read the label.
  • sophygld
    sophygld Posts: 8
    Options
    if you have to have a dairy free option it is about a gazillion times better than rice milk, and I avoid soy milk totally because of the hormone controversy around it. Almond milk is my favourite option.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've completely transitioned my kids to almond and/or coconut milk. I was trying to make small healthy changes in our diets. I think that the blue almond almond breeze (I think that's what it's called) is the best milk for cereal. I like the coconut/almond blend too. My kids love the dark chocolate flavored almond milk. When the bananas are getting over ripe, I make the kids a smoothie with dark chocolate almond milk, frozen bananas, and PB2. It's like a huge treat to them.

I also use coconut milk coffee creamer, it's SO brand.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have started using the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze unsweetened almond or unsweetened almond/coconut in my protein shakes and I really like it. I ran out recently and used skim milk (fat free) as I used to, and in my opinion it did not satisfy me as long. Perhaps the lactose (milk sugars) caused more of a blood sugar spike and drop? I have no science for this, just personally think it enriches the taste of the shake and helps me feel satisfied longer.

For cereal or just a glass of milk, I will stay with the fat free milk I have been drinking for too many years to count...

(ETA: just don't expect to taste like cow's milk, it is a very different taste, which can be good or bad depending on your taste buds.)
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've tried Soy milk and liked it in porridge, but not on it's own, so I think I may try almond milk in my porridge rather than skimmed milk powder.