HCG levels from pregnant ppl!!!!!

Options
Ok so i'm looking for any advice with this...i'm currently 8 weeks pregnant and they took my HCG levels and the 1st one came back at 14,000 and then 48 hours later it was at 36,000!!!! Almost tripled! Usually it only doubles! So my question is....i've heard and read that HGC levels can indicate multiples....what do you think? Twins?

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    First, congrats!!
    Next, to answer your question, I got this from a website: "What can a high hCG level mean?
    A high level of hCG can also mean a number of things and should be rechecked within 48-72 hours to evaluate changes in the level. A high hCG level can indicate:

Miscalculation of pregnancy dating
    Molar pregnancy
    Multiple pregnancy"

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html
  • KristenStone
    KristenStone Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats!! :)

The only way to tell if you will have multiples is if you get a good old fashion ultrasound :)

But tripling HCG levels could indicate mults...i guess you will find out! :)
  • tesha30
    tesha30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    let us know what you find out! thats exciting!! congratulations!!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Wow! Count your blessings! Hang in there...you have so much to look forward to!
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy! It could be a sign of multiples, or it could just be your hcg levels peaking (which happens between 8-12 weeks). Your doc could take a quick peak just to put your mind at ease - knowing is better than guessing (speaking from experience since I've got 2 sets of twins). Good luck with your pregnancy!!!
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience (I have a set of twins too) high hcg numbers can mean many things, but most importantly it sounds like you have a really healthy pregnancy. My numbers fell in the normal range, so I really had no clue about multiples until I had my ultrasound.

Do you have an ultrasound booked yet?
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi!
    High HCG levels is not necessarily an indicator of multiples. Most Dr. offices will do an ultrasound at 8-10 weeks. Do you have a family history of multiples, on meds to get pg? We have multiples on both sides so if it were me I'd be :noway: pulling my hair out waiting for that ultrasound. :laugh: Good luck, I can't wait to hear about your first ultrasound. :flowerforyou:
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is great news!! Anything between doubling and tripling in 48 hours is considered "normal". Your numbers look awesome for that stage in your pregnancy. Does you doctor want to do a dating ultrasound?? That will show if you are having multiples. Until then keep eating healthy, exercising regularly and don't stress about it. If it is multiples, there is nothing you can do about it now anyways!!
  • hawaiibound
    Options
    I am on progestrone to help maintaine the pregnancy other than that i'm not on any meds. My ultrasound is on the 30th....we are praying for whatever the Lord wants for us :)