Heavy lifting vs. just lifting what's heavy to you?

Options
Can someone explain the general gist of "Heavy Lifting?" I know they all say buy the book, etc. But in reading the posts, I really have no idea what it means to lift heavy. This may sound ridiculous, but 15lbs is heavy. Heck 10 pounds when we're talking my shoulders and triceps, as in I can manage 1 rep. Am I "heavy lifting" because it's heavy to me? How is heavy lifting different from just lifting weights? When I say "lifting weights" I mean 12 reps where 12 is near impssible to do, maybe not even getting to 12. I'm new to weight lifting and I really want to do it right and get the best results without injury. I also don't want to waste my time if I should be doing 5 reps of a heavier weight and can't make it to 5, instead of 12 reps of a heavy weight and cannot make it to 12. I know if what I'm doing works, it shouldn't matter what I call it. But I just want to have better understanding when reading all the posts and if I can call what I'm doing "Heavy lifting."

Replies

• JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    I would try looking into Stronglifts if I was you. It's free and online with some great charts to help you out. Starts you out as a total beginner and works you up slowly.
    I know what heavy lifting isn't. The woman at my gym that sits on the leg machine with 5lbs of weight on for 30mins while playing games on her IPad.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is just that - if you lift something and it feels heavy, that's heavy lifting. 5 reps, 12 reps - both can be called heavy if you're pushing yourself to get them finished. The only thing I'd call not heavy lifting is doing 20 reps or more - that's endurance training.

Look up New Rules of Lifting for Women - people around here swear by that book.
  • BMoxie2013
    BMoxie2013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you! It's all a bit confusing and I definitely need to research more. I'm still maneuvering my way around this website and all the terms.
  • aaronsav
    aaronsav Posts: 4
    Options
    You should lift a weight that suits your strength and the goals you wanna achieve.
    When starting out with weights correct form , posture and controlled lifting is far more important than heavy lifting, when you master this then increase weights.
    For strength and power training aim for 2-6 reps with a heavy weight with the last rep being difficult to perform.
    For building muscle aim for slightly less weight so you can perform 7-12 reps before you cannot lift any more.
    For toning and endurance use a lighter weight and higher reps and perform this until you can no longer lift with the correct form.
    Remember if you cannot lift the weight with the correct posture/form and control then the weight is too heavy.
    It doesn't matter what other people lift. Everyone is different when it comes to heavy lifting so you must never compare your self to other individuals, so just concentrate on what you can do and acheive your goals.
  • BMoxie2013
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Good stuff!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Am I "heavy lifting" because it's heavy to me?

Yes.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My heavy ain't your heavy and vice versa... To me lifting heavy is what I consider heavy for me. I did deadlifts this afternoon and maxed out at 175. That was heavy to me, but that is probably someone else's warmup weight to lift. Even if it's 10lbs, if it's heavy to you right now you're lifting heavy. Once 10 lbs becomes easier and you move up to 20 that will be your heavy, and so on. Good luck, and have fun lifting!! :flowerforyou:
  • BMoxie2013
    Options
    Thanks! Lifting is so empowering!
  • Dharmafor1
    Dharmafor1 Posts: 32
    Options
    You should lift a weight that suits your strength and the goals you wanna achieve.
    When starting out with weights correct form , posture and controlled lifting is far more important than heavy lifting, when you master this then increase weights.
    For strength and power training aim for 2-6 reps with a heavy weight with the last rep being difficult to perform.
    For building muscle aim for slightly less weight so you can perform 7-12 reps before you cannot lift any more.
    For toning and endurance use a lighter weight and higher reps and perform this until you can no longer lift with the correct form.
    Remember if you cannot lift the weight with the correct posture/form and control then the weight is too heavy.
    It doesn't matter what other people lift. Everyone is different when it comes to heavy lifting so you must never compare your self to other individuals, so just concentrate on what you can do and acheive your goals.

Thanks for the breakdown on this. Great info. I figured lifting heavy was a relative term but you clarified what reps for strength and endurance too, which is helpful knowledge. I primarily do martial arts(Kung Fu, TKD and Tai Chi) and cycle. I'm doing a hybrid of P90x and insanity too. Any weight training I've done has always been aimless. I have a pretty nice set-up at home but always went for 12-15 reps whether doing sets or circuit type training. Interested in going heavy but can days using lighter reps for endurance be added in to mix it up or is that pointless? For instance some days I'll do things like slow uppercuts and punches etc. with 20 pound dumbells which is a specific movement for Martial arts. So within weight training can different routines for sports specific activists be incorporated or is that overkill or not giving muscles enough time to recover?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would say where you are struggling in the four to six rep range would be heavy...

for some of us that will be 40 pound dumbbells or 80 pound dumbbells just depends on where you are in training..
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    This link might help answer some of your questions:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/850719-strength-training-the-basics

Also, that is a great group to join if you want advice and info without all the forum hoopla.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    heavy = whatever amount is heavy for YOU
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

QUE?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative, however I believe many people underestimate how much they can actually lift.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think what most people here mean by "heavy lifting" is compound barbell lifts, 5-8 reps, progressively increasing. But yes, besides that, "heavy" is what is "heavy" for you.

I prefer this program:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is just that - if you lift something and it feels heavy, that's heavy lifting. 5 reps, 12 reps - both can be called heavy if you're pushing yourself to get them finished. The only thing I'd call not heavy lifting is doing 20 reps or more - that's endurance training.

Look up New Rules of Lifting for Women - people around here swear by that book.

Heavy is different for everyone.

For example, I squat 145 lbs right now. To me that is heavy. I could go a little heavier, but our gym has just recently upgraded to a real squat rack rather than the Smith Machine I've been using so I'm working more on my form right now.

I do barbell curls with 40 lbs., kickbacks with 20 lbs, skull crushers with 55 lbs, etc. To me these are heavy, to many they probably are not.

I'm much weaker in my shoulders though so my weight drops a little there.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative, however I believe many people underestimate how much they can actually lift.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I think this is very true!!

I used the machines at the gym for a year, then finally paid for a few sessions with a trainer. Under his guidance, I found that I can lift more than I ever imagined that I could. He has me doing bent rows with 30# dumbbells! I also never imagined that I could leg press 300#, but I have done it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Another facet of heavy lifting is that you're upping the amount you lift on a regular basis.

A year ago, bench pressing 50 pounds was heavy lifting for me. A few months later, 50 felt like child's play and 80 was heavy. Then another couple months later, and I was doing 100 pounds. And I have't quite gotten past that point yet. But I'm trying.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is just lifting what's heavy to you; it's all relative...what's heavy for you may be light for me...and what's heavy for me is most definitely light work for others.

Actually most heavy lifting strength programs start you off not "heavy" at all. You work on form first and foremost and incrementally increase the weight until it's "heavy." You don't just go to the weight room the first time and load a couple 45 Lb plates on the barbell and go to town...just like any exercise, it's all progression and the exercise is performed within your means and limitations.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

^^^ This x's 1000!!! For me personally "heavy" is training with a weight that is about 85% of your 1RM. IMO if you are lifting a weight more then 10reps I would consider that more of a moderate weight rather then a heavy weight.

As mentioned above look into StrongLifs 5x5, Starting strenght or New Rules of Lifting for Women. I have read all / most of the SL's reading material and read the Starting strength book and both are filled with solid knowledge.