Seasoned runners- advice needed

Options
I've never been motivated much for exercise. Until I started running. I love it. I just completed the Run a 3k program. I can run a little over a mile in 15 minutes, Runkeeper says its a 12min mile. When i started i was unable to jog the entire 1 min intervals! huge progress for me. When my time increased to 15 straight minutes, my time went down, which bothers me some. Also, I've started the Run a 5k program with my hubby who wants to run now. So I'm doing that 3 days a week, and 5-6 days a week I'm running a mile. Here's my question: where do I go from here on my own mile runs? Do I keep up the 15 minutes and try to increase time and distance? Or do I try to go for 20 minutes? I'm a little baffled, only because Run a 3k just stops with no direction to move next. I'm sorry if I sound dumb, I'm just a bit lost on what to do now.

Replies

• recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When you say that you are bothered "my time went down, which bothers me some", are you saying that you are on a program that reduced how long you are supposed to run or that you ran a mile in a shorter time?

If a program is reducing your time it is normally for a reason. like adding another run into the program, or increasing time on another day. If you are saying that it is taking you less time to run a mile, that is exactly what you want to happen.

If you are now capable of running a full mile and you are looking to improve your time, I've read and found that the best way to do that is to increase your distance and the speed will follow. For example, I ran a 10K last November, It was my first. My pace was about 14 minute miles. My regular weekly runs were 3 miles each. After the 10k I increased my regular runs too 4 miles during the week, and around 6 miles on either Saturday or Sunday. My pace on the next 10k had improved too 10 minute miles.

Granted that many things play into that improvement. Things like my body getting used to the exertion and improved running style. The little things count in the beginning. Increasing time and distance will help improve your heart and lung's abilities to push the oxygen around your body. That makes everything better.

you can do a web search and find training guides for nearly every distance runs. The couch to 5K is popular. You can find everything, 3k, 5k, 10k, 15k and marathons. Someone has made a training plan for everything. Just grab the next in line and go for it.
  • LeKittycat
    LeKittycat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Um, I'm not a seasoned runner but I've heard that many people do something called bridge to 10k after they finish couch to 5k, maybe that will work for you also :) Congrats on finishing your program :D
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Thanks. By my time, I meant that when I was doing 5 10 minute intervals with a 2 minute recovery (based on my app program) my overall time was about 12:20 min per mile. Now that I'm doing 15 minutes without a recovery, my mile time around 13:00-13:30 min per mile.

So if I'm reading your reply correctly, I need to not focus on my time, but focus on adding in more distance and the time it takes will gradually get better? So should I try to add a half mile at a time or should I add distance in smaller increments?
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Not a seasoned runner, but the advice I've read is for the most gains for a new runner are to train for the distance "up" from what you are trying to improve in at a slower pace. So if you are trying to improve your mile time, do a 5k program for example. Just make sure that when you increase your distance/time that you go slow and give yourself enough rest. Following a plan and being consistent really helps too, since it can be hard to gauge progress when you are training at paces slower than race pace.

Edit: I would focus on time and not worry about pace - as you increase time (increase aerobic fitness) your pace on shorter runs will improve (For example I was training at 12-13 minute/mile pace for a 10K and actually ran the race at ~9:30 Minute/mile pace)
  • bfinup
    bfinup Posts: 47
    Options
    Work on adding distance, and in turn that will help with speed (to a certain point)
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options

So if I'm reading your reply correctly, I need to not focus on my time, but focus on adding in more distance and the time it takes will gradually get better? So should I try to add a half mile at a time or should I add distance in smaller increments?

This would be my approach. If your goal is to be able to run longer distances, you will probably need to slow down a bit as you build your base. But over time, adding more distance will also increase your speed as you get fitter. Don't try to run every single run at the same speed - try mixing them up - one long slow run a week that gets a little longer each week, some additional easy shorter runs. Add at most 10% to your mileage every week and see how you feel with that. Good luck!
    Options

This would be my approach. If your goal is to be able to run longer distances, you will probably need to slow down a bit as you build your base. But over time, adding more distance will also increase your speed as you get fitter. Don't try to run every single run at the same speed - try mixing them up - one long slow run a week that gets a little longer each week, some additional easy shorter runs. Add at most 10% to your mileage every week and see how you feel with that. Good luck!

THANK YOU!!!!!! I don't want to be able to run races (not a goal at this point anyway) but I want to be able to run comfortably for longer distances for general fitness and weight loss.
  • mellorunner
    Options
    Gradually increase the amount of distance/time spent running each week. The best way to improve at running is to run more, so just work more in. If you're looking for a general guideline as to how much to add there are plenty of adherents to the 10% "rule" (more a guideline), where you add 10% to your weekly mileage/minutes each week.

Ex. Week 1 - 10 miles. Week 2 - 11 miles. Week 3 - 12.1 miles...etc, etc.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Since others have answered your speed/distance concerns, I'll focus on this:
    I'm a little baffled, only because Run a 3k just stops with no direction to move next.
    When you've mastered that, you can build your distance endurance by following the C25K program, then the Bridge to 10k, then a Half Marathon training program, etc. etc. etc.

Just depends on how "far" you want to go.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think the advice given thus far is solid! The only thing I would add is to get yourself a heart rate monitor. Figure out your min and max heart rates and setup some training zones. Plenty of articles on the web to tell you how to go about it. I think the biggest mistake people make is pushing to hard on runs that should be used for recovery.

Anywho, keep up the good work!!
  • Alphaeater
    Alphaeater Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi Progress,

First, you don't sound dumb at all. Everyone is at a different level of knowing what to do in every area. That's why they have these forums. And remember this: everyone who is an expert in their field was at one time a beginner in that field.

All of the advice you've been given above is great. Just don't be worried about the best way to do it. Just getting out there and running a little bit more is fine advice.

But, if you're looking for specifics, here's a few ideas for you. Now, you're running one 15 minute mile about 5-6 times a week. Where to go from here. To improve, you have to do something more challenging than you're currently doing or you will plateau. So, every other run or every third run, start going either longer, faster, or harder. Keep your regular 15 minute runs on the non-hard days, though, so you don't overdo it.

Longer> Rather than run for 15 minutes straight, alternate running 3 minutes with 1 minute of walking. You'll probably be able to jump to 20 minutes the first or second time you try this b/c you'll be giving your running muscles a little break. Add on one cycle of 3 and 1 every week until you can go 40 minutes or so like this. Then, you can either keep extending it in the same way or start removing every other walk portion, and so going to maybe 6 minutes running and 1 minute walking--something like that.

Faster> Rather than run for 15 minutes straight, alternate running 3 minutes at a slightly easier pace than you're used to (or you can walk at a comfortable pace) with 1 minute of slightly faster running (not near sprinting speed). Enough to make it tough, but not killer. Alternate like this for a few cycles and let your body tell you when to adjust the easier portions slower or faster and let it tell you when to be done.

Harder> Find a hill near your house. After warming up for a few minutes with walking, go up the hill any way you can (walking, running, or alternating every 15 seconds). Do this once, and then walk around at the bottom of the hill until you feel ready ready to do it again. Try a few of these and add one more each time that you try this workout.

If you change your normal run to any two of these each week, you'll notice great results. Good luck.
    Options
    Thank you all so much, it all sounds like wonderful advice and I so appreciate it!!