New Rules of Lifting

Options
NyimaR
NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
I'm thinking of taking up lifting-proper (rather than using the machines) and I know many people who recommend the New Rules of Lifting books. Is it worth me getting a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women when my boyfriend already owns New Rules of Lifting? Is there any significant difference?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference is that NROLFW goes into a lot of detail as to why women should lift and why they shouldn't be afraid to pick up a barbell...it points out fun facts like, "no...you're seriously not going to get all bulky." Otherwise, no...women don't need to lift any different from men. My wife does Wendler's 5/3/1 with me and "lifts like a man." She has read NROLFW and thinks it's a really good read in RE to explaining the importance of lifting for women and dispelling a lot of myths about lifting for women.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    NROL4W spends a lot of time coaxing women towards heavier weights by starting with high reps and ending with low reps, meaning if you finished the high rep workout you know you have to really up your weights for the lower rep day.

If you are committed to lifting heavy and be sure to challenge yourself every workout, then you should be fine on the original program I think. Just remember that it shouldn't be easy, you should be struggling to finish that least rep, and it's okay to have overshot your ability (as long as you are careful and use good form) and not complete a set.
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give New Rules a go!
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    I have NROLFW ..... It's great. Would def recommend!
  • HallerFitness
    Options
    Another vote to recommend the book. I'm finishing up stage 1. It helps if you have access to a gym with lots of different equipment.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    if you've already decided to start lifting then there's no reason to buy the additional book. just start working with your bf or follow the plan from his book.