Healthy Recipes to Freeze?

Options
jessudd
jessudd Posts: 133 Member
I'm on a busy schedule right now -- I'm won't be getting home until after 8 most nights, and I'd like to still have fresh, healthy meals around the house. I'd love to cook ahead on the weekends and have food for the week, but those recipes always seem to be creamy casserole dishes, full of cheese or cream of whatever soup....

Do you have any good cook-ahead or freeze-able recipes that won't put my calorie count in the red?? We like just about anything except eggplant. :)

Replies

• becki101_4
    becki101_4 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm a student and there are nights when I get home late after labs and just don't feel up to cooking. Currently in my freezer I have containers of veggie chili and veggie lasagna. I'm also planning to make and freeze split pea soup once I can find some decent ham.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Hi you can do stews, soups, enchaladas (sp) chili, stuffed bell peppers, stuffed cabbage rolls, pot pies, navy bean and ham, spaggetti sauce, taco meat, stew meat for burritos, for the ham you can buy the sliced rings of ham, or small cubes of ham used for seasoning, or smoked ham hocks.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Chili, spaghetti sauce, taco meat~ hamburger or chicken, meatballs, meatloaf, chicken, soup. Not sure if you have tried the frozen Green Giant veggies the sodium isn't to back and good mixed with chicken. Or find some crock pot recipes put it on low and it will be ready when you get home.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing recently and bought two "one weekend a month" type cookbooks which arrived today. One is called "Fix Freeze Feast". The other is called "Don't Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer". I'm hoping I can find some yummy, but healthy recipes. Unfortunately, I just got the books today, so I can't tell you if any of the recipes are any good yet. :smile:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    My problem with freezing healthy recipes to reheat on late nights is that you could cook from scratch in the time it takes to cook a frozen (or even thawed) casserole in the oven! Soups freeze and reheat well, as does pasta sauce for a quick spaghetti dinner.

Have you thought about using a crockpot? There is a thread on here with TONS of good crockpot recipes, or you could even do something easy like make up a big batch of salsa chicken or taco meat to throw into tacos or taco salad. You can also just throw a chicken in the crockpot to cook all day (throw in some onions and carrots too if you want veggies to go with) or do the same with a roast. I'd throw in a little chicken or beef broth with those too.
  • jmurie
    Options
    Also, Once a Month cooking is a great site for recipes, they can be adjusted to be low fat or some can and otherwise just watch your portions. http://onceamonthmom.com/
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My problem with freezing healthy recipes to reheat on late nights is that you could cook from scratch in the time it takes to cook a frozen (or even thawed) casserole in the oven!

That's a good point... I guess I'm thinking more about cooking ahead for the week, so I'd probably do a few dishes and refrigerate them to eat over the week.

Thanks for all of the ideas, everyone!!!!