What are your macros?

Options
I'm bored lol just curious as to how people get their calories in!!!! When I started out my macros was what MFP defaulted it to be 55C/30F/15P or something like that....and after month, it stopped working for me. So then, reading up about TDEE and IILYM and whatnot...and perusing my friend's diaries and these message boards, I decided to give it a shot and up the amount of protein and fats I ate, and lowered my carbs so that my macros was about 30C/40F/30C. I just didn't feel comfortable lowering my carbs any further!!! I like carbs and I will agree to eat less, but I know that if I cut them out completely, it will set myself up for failure in the long run!!!! A week after I did that, I lost a few inches off my body. Not sure about the scale because I got rid of the battery!!!! And I also seem to be fuller longer and generally more satiated. Now, some days are still a struggle to get all that protein in, but this next month coming up, I will definitely be more prepared and have those high protein foods on hand!!!!

Replies

• Ash_nich8
    Ash_nich8 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just checked out IIFYM.com yesterday because I have heard of a lot of people having great progress counting macros. Mine are 40c/30f/30p
    I know that according to iifym, as long as it fits into your macros for a day it's fair game but I also believe in healthy natural foods. So although a pop tart may fit my macros, i will not be eating those foods.
    I have come up with a meal plan full of natural, whole foods, lean protein, healthy fats, etc...that fit into those macros. And let me tell you...I am so happy I don't need to follow a low carb meal plan!! I love me some carbs :)
    Fingers crossed I can lean out in the next few weeks to rock that bikini in Vegas!
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i think my macros are currently 35c/35p/30f.
    i love it. i only adjust by about 5% here & there depending upon if i'm cutting or not - in which case my fat is lower & my protein is higher.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    I am hoping this works as well!!!!

Funny, I did have a pop tart last week because it fit into my macros lol

But seriously, for the most part, I do try to get whole, all natural foods in with the occassional treat!!!!

I find that the all natural snacks I get from the health food store (Whole foods), are generally lower in carbs and has more protein so I choose those foods too. Just have to watch out for the sweet stuff because I will be tempted to binge lol
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I calculate my macros in grams first and then figure out my percentages once I have the gram amounts. My macros right now come out to 35% carbs, 35% fats, 30% protein
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    35c/30P/35f
  • chainone
    chainone Posts: 42
    Options
    Mine are 55c/20p/25f. I wanted to do an even 25/25 split, but I'm a non-tofu, non-tempeh eating vegan. It's really, really hard to balance my carbs when a majority of my protein is lentils. Verrrrry carby.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do 50% carbs, and while I have mine set to 30% fat and 20% protein, I aim for closer to 25% each on fat and protein. I pretty much just aim to exceed my protein goal, and let the rest fall where ever. I don't fuss too hard about fitting them perfectly... I look more at the weekly average.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    For anybody who is currently, or considering eating a high carb, low fat diet, consider this:

the single largest cause of non-communicable disease–like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, and obesity is insulin resistance caused by low fat, high carb diets.

Fat is good for you, eat it up :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    40p/35f/25c
  • chainone
    chainone Posts: 42
    Options
    I do 50% carbs, and while I have mine set to 30% fat and 20% protein, I aim for closer to 25% each on fat and protein. I pretty much just aim to exceed my protein goal, and let the rest fall where ever. I don't fuss too hard about fitting them perfectly... I look more at the weekly average.

This is closer to what I do. I aim to go over my 20% protein. Still having a hard time, but I'll figure it out.
  • zemuogele
    zemuogele Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out my macros too. Aj_g mentioned counting macros by grams that's what I'm looking in to doing but can anyone tell me should it be counted by lbm or total body weight in pounds? And do I need to times it by 1 g Or 1.5g?
  • zemuogele
    Options
    Post above was about protein :)
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out my macros too. Aj_g mentioned counting macros by grams that's what I'm looking in to doing but can anyone tell me should it be counted by lbm or total body weight in pounds? And do I need to times it by 1 g Or 1.5g?

If you are of average bodyfat, studies show that the protein intake for optimal muscle growth during a calorie surplus and optimal muscle preservation during a calorie deficit is 0.82g per pound of body weight. If you are very overweight ( >30% body fat for men, >35% body fat for women), I would suggest eating 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    For anybody who is currently, or considering eating a high carb, low fat diet, consider this:

the single largest cause of non-communicable disease–like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, and obesity is insulin resistance caused by low fat, high carb diets.

Fat is good for you, eat it up :smile:

And it simply does not work for everyone!!!! Over the years, I have gone to dieticians, and they would put me on the "standard" food pyrmaid diet (high carb, low fat) and I would be MISERABLE!!!! Sluggish, hungry all the time...and then it absolutely didn't work for me!!!! Sure, I would lose weight after the first month, but after that I would fluctuate all over the place!!!! Even this time around!!!! And, I thought maybe I needed to buy a food scale and HRM...maybe I am underestimating my calories and underestimating my calorie burn!!! And I was!!! But I was STILL fluctuating, STILL hungry, STILL sluggish!!!! So, after perusing this site, and learning about IILYM and macros and what not, I found out that fat is NOT the enemy!!! And I do feel less sluggish, less hungry....not sure about the fluctuating though because I threw out the scale....but I have lost inches since then!!!!
  • zemuogele
    Options
    AJ_G thank you for info. Can you tell me if there is any requirements for fat and carbs? Or can I just add up what's left of my calories when I take out protein calories?? I am female and my body fat was 27% about 3 months ago I'm hoping its less now but never less i should fall in 0.8 g/lbs body mass bracket as you suggested. I think I might go over protein limit though as I love my protein foods. :)
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    50% carb, 30% protein, 20% fat
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    35C/30P/35F, but I don't stress over it much as long as my daily protein intake is well over 100g.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Bump I want to learn more about this I am always over on protein and find I want more and feel better with it being higher
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    30C / 30P / 40F
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    30c/35p/35f

I have adjusted my macros a few times since the beginning and these percentages work best for me.
    Have lost 67 pounds since Jan.1