Camping Food Ideas?

Options

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Kabobs. Chicken, Bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, pineapple.... Mmmm. You can skewer them at home and then just throw them on the grill at campsite. Those are always a staple when I camp.
  • Gordon_L
    Gordon_L Posts: 4,475 Member
    Options
    camping??

weineys
    and
    booze.
    thats all you need.
    oh,,, marhsmallows/. for smores.

Gotta love this!
  • hparslow
    hparslow Posts: 1
    Options
    Tinfoil dinners are great (just change it up a little)! I used a chicken breast seasoned with lemon pepper and garlic salt. Added Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and carrots with just enough olive oil to give it some extra juice to cook.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I should have also mentioned that my menu may vary if I can catch some fish...If I can get some trout, we're doing that instead of the steaks.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    We do hobo sacks. Take meat of some kind (we've done brats of every flavor, hamburgers, sausage, etc), potatoes, onions peppers and whatever other veggies you might like season and wrap it all in aluminum foil. Throw it directly on the fire for about 25-40 minutes depending on how hot the fire is. When you take it off the fire let it cool for about 5 minutes and you can eat it straight out of the pouch. Easy clean up.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower is easy to pack and can be used for a TON of things
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Big ziplock bag of raw veggies and hummus or salsa for dipping, and another filled with veggies cut into cubes and marinated for shish kabobs. Bring wooden skewers and soak them in water for a few hours before you make them. Bring med/large whole wheat tortillas & make wraps with the hummus & cooked or raw veggies. Tortillas are great for breakfast burritos too! (scrambled eggs, refried beans, cheese, leftover potatoes/vegs, salsa - wrap in foil & heat in camp fire or on grill about 10-15 minutes) Any veggies left over the day before you leave go into a pot of water & get cooked into a stew/soup. Just add beans & let it cook for a couple of hours. Add some brown rice for the last 30-45 minutes of cooking. We do this every time we camp at the beach or in the mountains. We don't eat meat at all, and that really cuts down on cooler space & ice. We've done the hobo meals too - great with potatoes & veggies!
  • Stlarenas
    Stlarenas Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Corn on the cob in the hush, potatoes, and sweet potatoes can be wrapped in foil and cooked in the fire. I usually bring hummus, salsa, and/or avocados for fresh guac and veggies or pita crisps to snack on.

You can pre-make lots of wraps that can be eaten cold, or tossed on the grill in foil to warm up. I love southwest egg burritos for breakfast.

If you will have access to power you can do lots of crockpot meals. For our annual float trip I toss pork in the crock pot before we head to the river, and then shred it when we get back for pork soft tacos or sandwiches. Use the crockpot liners and clean up is easy for the next meal. Make chili ahead of time, freeze in baggies, and toss in crockpot or in pot over fire to warm up.

Veggies roast well over the fire in a foil tray - eat as side, or make peppers and onions with grilled chicken for fajitas.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

ZOMG cauliflower S'MORES!!!!!

edited cuz spelt rong
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

YES! You can make Cauliflower breakfast sandwiches with tree bark for bread! Best ever!
  • amylb0822
    amylb0822 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I freeze chicken breasts, turkey burgers and other lean meats for grilling... that way they stay colder in the coolers on ice. I also by the ore-ida precut frozen hash browns and bring those sometimes.... they cook great ina pan on the fire !

I also bring eggs... but I crack them into a container with a screw on lid before they go in the cooler, so there is no worry of breakage.

i chop up onion, and peppers and put those in ziplocks too... baby carrots and cherry tomatoes travel well too and so does a bag of oranges and apples. We always bring onewatermelo too, butI shop that up and put in in a big plastic container to avoid having to deal with mess while camping.

We bring premade granola and lately I have brought lowfat greek yogurt also. The yogurt travels well in coolers and has it's own container, so it is low mess.

Cans of black or refriend beans are also a great staple... tortillas too!

I am kind of camp cooking master, having traveled and camped for years and alsodone several long horse riding journeys...
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hot dogs
    Smores

Hobo dinners
    Hamburger or chopped steak
    pre-chopped potatoes/carrots/peppers
    Aluminum foil

Smores

Pre made granola

MMmmmm. Hobo dinners. Haven't had them in years. Way over due!!
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Anything you can find or kill. You will burn a lot of calories finding and killing things... :tongue:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on whether you are camping, or "camping".

What do you have to cook on/with? Are there coolers or any other type of refrigeration?

Eggs are always good to bring. Contrary to popular belief, they do not need to be refrigerated. In fact, rubbing them in mineral oil preserves them for months.

Chili made with canned ingredients + ground beef/sausage. A big enough pot will last several days.

Hobo dinners and Hobo pies.

I would also recommend taking some time to forage. There are usually excellent books on local foliage that is edible. It could be a lot of fun going out to look for and gather ingredients, plus it is a useful bush skill.
  • AZDewd223
    AZDewd223 Posts: 21
    Options
    Great thread, I was wondering the same too. Taking down some of these ideas... ;)
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You guys are all so awesome thank you for helping me "think outside the bun" of the traditional burgers/brats/hotdog ideas!

We are camping at what is considered a rustic campground (no electric or running water) however we do have our coolers and our portable grill plus the campfire. I'm loving all the hobo/foil packet ideas!

Truly appreciated, thank you all and I hope others benefit from this thread as well!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Im a big foil packet fan if you can grill. Chicken or ground beef patties sliced veggies and seasoning in a foil pack on grill. Full meal no clean up. dessert slice banana lengthwise spread some PB down middle sprinkle dark choc chips close foil grill melty goodness!!
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bump.... :) Am away camping soon so will come back to this for ideas :)....Mind I would'nt be to fussed personally as I tend to go all over the place hiking and biking so chances are the extra calories burned will help balance out the extra cals I will consume Yum Yum........:)
  • sjkcwatson
    sjkcwatson Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just spent the weekend at the lake. We didn't have a way to cook so most of mine was snack food. Some of the things I took:
    - sliced cucumbers into large baggie
    - baby carrots
    - hummus (although the kind I took wasn't very good)
    - cherries
    - pre cut strawberries
    - celery sticks and prepackaged peanut butter (yummy on the boat)
    - individual yogurt (great with some berries for breakfast)
    - 100 calorie packs of keebler striped cookies (when i needed some chocolate)
    - a couple of peaches
    - Sparkling ice (Orange mango or kiwi) for when I wanted something besides water
    - lots of water
    - grape tomatos
    - sliced baby bell peppers (red, yellow, organge)
    - turkey lunch meat and bagel thins - made a sandwich with those and cucumber slices
    - grapes
    - pretzel chips (good with hummus or peanut butter)

Just washed, prepared, adn bagged everything for easy travel.
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just spent the weekend at the lake. We didn't have a way to cook so most of mine was snack food. Some of the things I took:
    - sliced cucumbers into large baggie
    - baby carrots
    - hummus (although the kind I took wasn't very good)
    - cherries
    - pre cut strawberries
    - celery sticks and prepackaged peanut butter (yummy on the boat)
    - individual yogurt (great with some berries for breakfast)
    - 100 calorie packs of keebler striped cookies (when i needed some chocolate)
    - a couple of peaches
    - Sparkling ice (Orange mango or kiwi) for when I wanted something besides water
    - lots of water
    - grape tomatos
    - sliced baby bell peppers (red, yellow, organge)
    - turkey lunch meat and bagel thins - made a sandwich with those and cucumber slices
    - grapes
    - pretzel chips (good with hummus or peanut butter)

Just washed, prepared, adn bagged everything for easy travel.

YUM! This all sounds so good!! Thank you for typing all that out!