Coconut Oil

Options

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Hair loves it. I generously apply the night before washing.

I've also used it to oil my waffle iron.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a little internet research on coconut oil. Anyone here use it (to cook with, supplement, or beauty tricks)? Any tips or advice? Where do you buy yours from and do you buy refined/unrefined? If you use it as a supplement, do you notice a difference in your energy level, and how much are you consuming daily? Sorry for all the questions..... All comments appreciated!!!!!

Coconut is a bad fat because it is processed. Processing = bad

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-fat-burning-fat-the-coconut-is-natures-premiere-thermogenic.html

" The U.S. Food and Drug and Administration and the World Health Organization, among many other high-profile agencies, advise against the consumption of large amounts of coconut oil due to its high saturated fat content. However, it must be noted that the studies criticizing coconut oil were focused on the hydrogenated, refined oil, not on virgin coconut oil. The truth is that virgin coconut oil isn't just a different coconut oil—it's pretty much deserving of its own category among oils and fats altogether....

Virgin coconut oil contains a range of healthy saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats. Some of these, like oleic acid and linoleic acid, are renowned for their beneficial health properties. However, since more than 60 percent of the fats in virgin coconut oil are saturated fats, its appeal clearly hinges on them.

The primary medium-chain fat in virgin coconut oil is lauric acid, a saturated fatty acid made of 12 carbons. Lauric acid is not common in nature, being found in human breast milk, palm kernel oil (which is not palm oil; big difference!), and in trace amounts in some animal milks. In virgin coconut oil, it makes up half of the fatty acids.

Lauric acid is a potent antimicrobial agent, but its effect on cholesterol levels garner even bigger headlines. This medium-chain fatty acid is known to increase total cholesterol levels in the body. This increase, however, is largely in the so-called good cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL). By increasing HDL levels, lauric acid may help support cardiovascular health. Lauric acid content is another area where the difference between refined and raw coconut oil is clear. During processing, coconut oil is stripped of its lauric acid, because this fatty acid is an important ingredient in many soaps and cosmetics. So go virgin or go home. "

Mmk. :noway:
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    For the people using it for skin care...Do you use it on your face? I am worried it would make me break out...

I do use it on my face, but only overnight in areas where my skin really needs the extra moisture, and then I am very diligent about cleansing the next morning. It can clog your pores and if you are prone to breakouts anyway it might not be the best idea.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a little internet research on coconut oil. Anyone here use it (to cook with, supplement, or beauty tricks)? Any tips or advice? Where do you buy yours from and do you buy refined/unrefined? If you use it as a supplement, do you notice a difference in your energy level, and how much are you consuming daily? Sorry for all the questions..... All comments appreciated!!!!!

All oil is processed. It has to be expelled/expressed somehow. Still, coconut is a better choice than canola oil....because WTF is a canola?
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I buy mine from tropical traditions online. They claim it's a miracle oil but I think there is also a lot of hipe surrounding it. No matter what they say, it's still oil and 100% fat. Like one poster said, I put it in my hair as a mask a few hours before I wash it once a week. It works better than any other oil that I have tried for this. They say the molecular structure is compatible with the molecular structure of your hair, allowing it to be easily absorbed.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I use only the EFA Gold to cook with. I buy the cheap grocery store kind for beauty treatments. I make a body scrub that my daughter and I absolutely love.
    EFA gold tastes just like a fresh coconut.
  • debaloo
    Options

All oil is processed. It has to be expelled/expressed somehow. Still, coconut is a better choice than canola oil....because WTF is a canola?

LOL!! Canola is so bad for you. It comes from Rape? Rapp? seed, which isn't even edible on it's own.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I use Sprout's Farmer's Market unrefined extra virgin coconut oil. I've used it for sautéing vegetables, popping popcorn, I put it on my toast or in a baked sweet potato. I also use it on my hair and put it in my skin twice daily (including my face).

I haven't noticed any healing properties or any types of health benefits, as I haven't really been looking for any. I like the way it tastes, and it's a good fat (supposedly).

As long as you don't overdo it, it makes your hair and skin nice and soft.
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi, I use it on my face, body, hair, fry some things with it, (curries, spicy foods, stir fries etc and even put a spoonful in my porridge with a teaspoon of low sugar jam sometimes. I use the extra virgin cold pressed variety. I don't know if it does any good nutritionally, (some say we can't metabolise it), but since using it I haven't gained any weight and have been on holiday and had visitors etc thus eating more than usual. I certainly think it's great on skin (it's not too greasy on your face. I rub it between my fingers and massage it into my face 2/3 times a week, depending on how dry my skin feels. Skin certainly looks smoother, and I try to do it when I've got a little time for myself and just sit and let it absorb for a few minutes, then just tissue off any residue (quite often it has all sunk in which is surprising for an oil). It's a great conditioner for hair too. (Once a week for me). I would be prone to breakouts, but haven't had any using coconut oil. I use it as a body moisturiser too - I get dry shins in summer, and it works a treat I would say it's worth a try, (do go easy at the start if you're going to eat it though, as it can have some toilet side effects) - just a little tip. Good luck
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    I purchase it from Tropical Traditions. If you get the expeller pressed coconut oil, it does not have a coconut flavor. The virgin coconut oil is the BEST on popcorn and in certain baked goods though! We use both all the time, as well as extra virgin olive oil.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use it mostly in my coffee, whipped in the magic bullet. YUM!
  • leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use organic virgin, cold pressed coconut oil as a face and body lotion, as well as an eye makeup remover. I love it. It's light, absorbs easily, is relatively cheap and has antiseptic qualities, which is great for anyone with mild acne.

I have used coconut oil in cooking (stir-fries and thai dishes mostly) as well as in smoothies, but my favorite use is definitely as a head to toe moisturizer (or mixed with raw sugar into a scrub).

Trader Joe's coconut oil is pretty awesome and easily accessible.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options

[/quote]

In the UK they call it 'rapeseed'. Not a popular name here--
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I love cooking with coconut oil. It's so much better for you than a lot of the oils on the market. I fry in it because it has a higher smoke point than most other oils, I add it to recipes instead of vegetable oil (I don't use veg oil or canola oil at all), I've used it to season my cast iron cookware. It's great for skincare and other things too, although I haven't ventured that far with it yet. About the only thing I havent used coconut oil for is when I make my tortillas. I still use lard in those and therefore do not make them very often.
  • banana_milk
    Options
    I blend it into my coffee as a replacement for creamer. It is so good. Apparently, it also does wonders for hair/skin. I do notice that I get much more energized after I've had my coconut oil coffee (and it's not due to the coffee - caffeine does nothing for me unless I consume a ridiculously large amount). 1-2 Tbsp of coconut oil does it for me :)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    For the people using it for skin care...Do you use it on your face? I am worried it would make me break out...

I tend to have oily skin and I LOVE using the coconut oil as my moisturizer. It absorbs easily and quickly and I don't have any problems with extra oily skin OR breakouts. This is the only thing I will use now.
  • debaloo
    Options

I tend to have oily skin and I LOVE using the coconut oil as my moisturizer. It absorbs easily and quickly and I don't have any problems with extra oily skin OR breakouts. This is the only thing I will use now.

It's an oil, it clogs my pores and makes me break out. Someone above said it had antiseptic properties, or antimicrobial properties. It has the ability to be a barrier to some microbes but not the ability to "kill" any microbes.
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking, my skin and oil pulling. Great stuff.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-fat-burning-fat-the-coconut-is-natures-premiere-thermogenic.html

" The U.S. Food and Drug and Administration and the World Health Organization, among many other high-profile agencies, advise against the consumption of large amounts of coconut oil due to its high saturated fat content. However, it must be noted that the studies criticizing coconut oil were focused on the hydrogenated, refined oil, not on virgin coconut oil. The truth is that virgin coconut oil isn't just a different coconut oil—it's pretty much deserving of its own category among oils and fats altogether....

Virgin coconut oil contains a range of healthy saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats. Some of these, like oleic acid and linoleic acid, are renowned for their beneficial health properties. However, since more than 60 percent of the fats in virgin coconut oil are saturated fats, its appeal clearly hinges on them.

The primary medium-chain fat in virgin coconut oil is lauric acid, a saturated fatty acid made of 12 carbons. Lauric acid is not common in nature, being found in human breast milk, palm kernel oil (which is not palm oil; big difference!), and in trace amounts in some animal milks. In virgin coconut oil, it makes up half of the fatty acids.

Lauric acid is a potent antimicrobial agent, but its effect on cholesterol levels garner even bigger headlines. This medium-chain fatty acid is known to increase total cholesterol levels in the body. This increase, however, is largely in the so-called good cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL). By increasing HDL levels, lauric acid may help support cardiovascular health. Lauric acid content is another area where the difference between refined and raw coconut oil is clear. During processing, coconut oil is stripped of its lauric acid, because this fatty acid is an important ingredient in many soaps and cosmetics. So go virgin or go home. "

Mmk. :noway:

Thank you for posting this excellent response to a very uninformed (dare I say ignorant?) previous response!!!
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have used it for both cooking a beauty/skin. It is great to cook with especially since I can almost never taste the coconut except when I make coconut chicken. As far as beauty and skin, I have used it in my hair (curly) and it's helped with moisture a ton. I have also used it on my son's eczema, I hated using topical stuff on his hands since he's two but it is amazing in clearing it up, if I put it on at night it is almost all gone in the morning and then I alittle more before we are off for the day and it's gone.