water making me nauseated?

Options
I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I've always been a big water drinker , Im a big non believer in sodas, carbonated beverages and sugary drinks. I could see if i wasn't a regular water drinker and all of a sudden i wasn't adapting to the change , but this is new to me. For the past week, my workout routine has not changed and neither has my drinking or eating habits. for the past few days after i have a glass of water I automatically start to feel nauseated to the point where i feel i need to yack, and that nauseated feeling sits in my stomach for a few hours....has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• VadersValkyrie
    VadersValkyrie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Until very recently (this summer, actually), I couldn't drink water first thing in the morning or I would be sick. So, if I was thirsty, I had to have coffee or cut a serving of Gatorade with ice/water to satiate that. Something clicked very recently and now I'm okay.

So, maybe it's an empty-stomach thing? If you're drinking on an empty stomach your body might be like "Uh, we need something else here" and so you get an upset stomach?
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I dont think its an empty stomach issue, because this happened two days ago when my stomach was empty and today about an hour after i are lunch.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's water. Water is in just about every food there is anyway.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I see some days you're taking a Multi-vitamin and Emergen-C (supplement?)

I take a 'generic' grocery store brand women's multi-vitamin daily, but I can't take it first thing in the AM on an empty stomach. I get crazy nausea otherwise. I HAVE to have a meal THEN take it.

Could this be the reason?
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    do you drink filtered water or tap? maybe something in the water supply?
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options
    thats a good point...my new vitamin has iron in it...maybe that can make you sick? But would it be hours laters?
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options
    tap, but it has a britta filter
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Just to rule it out...

Could you be pregnant?
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have that happen sometimes when it's really hot out. I don't know if it's a sweating-out-salt issue, but eating smaller, more frequent meals and making room in my food day for a bit of juice as well as water helps keep me from feeling queasy.
  • anna_louise90
    anna_louise90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had this the other day, I normally drink a lot of water, and in the heatwave we've been having, I always carry water on me. Yet I felt dizzy on the tube despite staying hydrated. What had actually happened was that I had drunk so much it flushed out all my electrolytes - I bought some coconut water and even though I hate the taste, felt better instantly, as it has a higher level of potassium/sodium. So maybe top up your electrolytes if you think this could be the case
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Are the vitamins the chewable kind? Sometimes the binder in those upsets stomachs causing nausea, heart burn, etc.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Can you add a little squirt of lemon juice into your cup when you drink your water?
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If I drink very cold water that can happen, which sucks because i love ice cold water!
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options
    I have PCOS that has caused me to have fertility issues, so im pretty sure im not pregnant...but then again i can take a test to make sure.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options
    Are the vitamins the chewable kind? Sometimes the binder in those upsets stomachs causing nausea, heart burn, etc.
    no they arent the chewable kind.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I get that way when I drink cold water while exercising. I can only drink room temp until afterwards.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options
    Its not that i cant drink water, Ive been drinking water for a long time, so adding things to it isnt the problem. Its the fact that up until this week its been making me really sick. Have no idea why.
  • mjkanaan
    mjkanaan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant and they made me take iron supplements, it made me terribly nauseous, so the iron in your multi vitamin might be doing it. And depending on if the multi vitamin is a suspended release type of pill, it could be hours later that it is happening. Might be something you could test out by not taking that for a few days and seeing if it stops, and then start back up, but taking it with food, or taking the pill at night with dinner, which will also give it time to absorb while you are sleeping. I know I had to take mine at night when I was pregnant because I was so sensitive to the iron in it, and I already had such bad nausea anyways for the first four months of my pregnancy. Just a thought.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel that way if I drink it too fast. Maybe try sipping slowing over 20 minutes instead of drinking a whole glass at a time.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am the same way....can't tolerate ice water after exercise....have to go lukewarm or I get tremendously nauseous. Lukewarm water is kind of ucky so I usually make a HUGE mug of hot tea before I work out and then sip it afterwards when it is lukewarm.