Coconut Oil

Options

Replies

• RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Many cultures cook with coconut oil and have for several thousand years this idea that one should not cook with it is absurd.

Now I do not know how much oil everyone is cooking with, but this is a saute oil in which your using around 1-2 tbsp hardly even worth thinking of any kind of potential risk, its not a deep frying oil. ( perhaps look into proper saute and pan technique, I find most people do not use anywhere near enough heat nor prep the food right to begin with. )

used in moderation its far healthier then many many alternatives lots of studies floating around old and outdated with current info not even being read in full before people jump to conclusions so typical.

hence the topics on margin which is far worse for you and yet so commonly eaten meanwhile butter seems to get a lot of hate when its far healthier then many other oils being used and eaten in so many dif highly processed foods.

some current information regarding coconut oil and health effects.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health

"Coconut oil is better than butter and trans fats but not as good as liquid vegetable oils," says Penn State University cardiovascular nutrition researcher Penny Kris-Etherton, PhD, RD.

Mozaffarian agrees that coconut oil is better than partially hydrogenated trans fats and possibly animal fats.

"But even though coconut oil is cholesterol-free, it is still a saturated fat that needs to be limited in the diet and if you are looking for real health benefits, switch from saturated fats to unsaturated fats by using vegetable oils like soybean, canola, corn, or olive oil," says Kris-Etherton, a member of the 2005 Dietary Guidelines advisory committee and Institute of Medicine's panel on dietary reference intakes for macronutrients (which include fats).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/AN01899

" Although eating coconut oil in moderation isn't likely to harm your health, it's not likely to help you lose weight either. For successful, long-term weight loss, stick to the basics — an overall healthy-eating plan and exercise. - Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D. "
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am definately one of those people who is CRAZY about coconut oil. I use it for everything! Besides cooking with it (use anywere you would use butter or shortening) you could add some to your smoothies, slather it on toast, etc.
    I use it as body moisturizer, sometimes as a face moisturizer, hair mask, eye make up remover, lip balm. I suffered from acne for years and this stuff works for me. I put some on my undersams as deoderant after the shower. I swear it works but am ready for the haters to tell me I'm crazy and probably smell :laugh: Oil pull to help clean teeth along with brushing/flossing. It also makes a great...ah-hem..."personal" moisturizer :love:
    Sometimes I season my cast iron with it (although I alternate this with non-hydrogenated organic palm oil). A "therapeutic" dose could be up to 3 tbsp/day. I usually aim for 1 tsp-1tbsp/day and I also eat coconut butter/manna which is what I usually end up putting in my smoothie.
    I order in bulk online from a website called "Wilderness Family Naturals." I get the largest size, 5 gallon, Organic Centrifuge Extracted Coconut Oil. Now, that's a huge thing of coconut oil so I'm not suggesting you invest in that right away. I did the math and I found that I could save quite a bit of money buying this way because I use so much. From what I have read centrifuge extracted coconut oil has a higher concentration of MCFA's which is the fatty acids that are so good for you. It also has a slightly more mellow coconut flavor but I personally did not taste a huge difference. The stuff stays good for ages since it is naturally antibacterial.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil for my keratosis pilaris, which causes red bumps to appear on my arms and a bit on my face. With a bit of gentle exfoliation and application of coconut oil twice a day, it cleared right up. I think this is the clearest my face has ever looked since I hit puberty, lol. I don't think I was moisturizing my skin well enough before because I was too stingy with the expensive moisturizers. Coconut oil is extremely cheap in comparison!
  • lroxey
    lroxey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For the people using it for skin care...Do you use it on your face? I am worried it would make me break out...

I use it on my face for a few month now and its wonderful not greasy at all, I have even started using Frankincense oil mixed with it my face just glows now!!!.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    An excellent intimate lubricant.

In addition to the food, beauty and other uses!
  • lroxey
    lroxey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a little internet research on coconut oil. Anyone here use it (to cook with, supplement, or beauty tricks)? Any tips or advice? Where do you buy yours from and do you buy refined/unrefined? If you use it as a supplement, do you notice a difference in your energy level, and how much are you consuming daily? Sorry for all the questions..... All comments appreciated!!!!!

Coconut is a bad fat because it is processed. Processing = bad

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-fat-burning-fat-the-coconut-is-natures-premiere-thermogenic.html

" The U.S. Food and Drug and Administration and the World Health Organization, among many other high-profile agencies, advise against the consumption of large amounts of coconut oil due to its high saturated fat content. However, it must be noted that the studies criticizing coconut oil were focused on the hydrogenated, refined oil, not on virgin coconut oil. The truth is that virgin coconut oil isn't just a different coconut oil—it's pretty much deserving of its own category among oils and fats altogether....

Virgin coconut oil contains a range of healthy saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats. Some of these, like oleic acid and linoleic acid, are renowned for their beneficial health properties. However, since more than 60 percent of the fats in virgin coconut oil are saturated fats, its appeal clearly hinges on them.

The primary medium-chain fat in virgin coconut oil is lauric acid, a saturated fatty acid made of 12 carbons. Lauric acid is not common in nature, being found in human breast milk, palm kernel oil (which is not palm oil; big difference!), and in trace amounts in some animal milks. In virgin coconut oil, it makes up half of the fatty acids.

Lauric acid is a potent antimicrobial agent, but its effect on cholesterol levels garner even bigger headlines. This medium-chain fatty acid is known to increase total cholesterol levels in the body. This increase, however, is largely in the so-called good cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL). By increasing HDL levels, lauric acid may help support cardiovascular health. Lauric acid content is another area where the difference between refined and raw coconut oil is clear. During processing, coconut oil is stripped of its lauric acid, because this fatty acid is an important ingredient in many soaps and cosmetics. So go virgin or go home. "

Mmk. :noway:

Thank you for posting this excellent response to a very uninformed (dare I say ignorant?) previous response!!!

AGREED! He must be looking at the LouAnn coconut oil :sick: :sick:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I buy the unrefined. I found it at Sprouts, which seems to have a much better price than Whole Foods. I have started cooking pretty much everything in it and it's amazing. It makes my house smell like Hawaii, but does not impart any taste on the foods. Great for sauteing veggies like kale, broccoli, peppers, etc. It's also good for baking in place of butter. I typically add 1/3 to 1/2 tablespoon when I'm cooking in the pan. You can get away with using less than butter because it doesn't seem to melt off as fast. I've rubbed it on my body for dry skin too, it's very nice!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I bought some for the first time last week to do oil pulling with it and to moisturise my hair but in the space of a few days I have used it in cooking (flavour for rice), added to my baths, done oil pulling and discovered the best use for it yet!!!!! on the dogs! Melt a little between my hands and then rub over the dogs coats as it makes a great deodoriser that works for a week or two at a time and is totally safe. (I did research this lol and not just do for fun) Also given a little to the dogs with their food for joints, they love it!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like to use it when roasting potatoes or making beans.

For skin I use it in the winter on any dry patches.

I also buy it on Amazon (the 2 pack, organic). It's cheaper on there plus you can check out the reviews. :)
  • Jesiena
    Jesiena Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I cook and bake with it. With baking, I like to use it instead of butter. It's also great on toast
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a little internet research on coconut oil. Anyone here use it (to cook with, supplement, or beauty tricks)? Any tips or advice? Where do you buy yours from and do you buy refined/unrefined? If you use it as a supplement, do you notice a difference in your energy level, and how much are you consuming daily? Sorry for all the questions..... All comments appreciated!!!!!

All oil is processed. It has to be expelled/expressed somehow. Still, coconut is a better choice than canola oil....because WTF is a canola?

Can't tell if you're kidding or not... as to what Canola is. Here is some help in case you aren't kidding. It is grown in a field.
    r1a5hw.jpg
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of threads on coconut oil around. I haven't tried all the beauty uses for it, but I love making an egg and swiss cheese on a flatbread with red onion and tomato using it. Everything smells and tastes wonderful. I've heard of people using it in their coffee but I wasn't thrilled with it.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I buy Nutrvia brand. I use it to sautee veggies, smells great!

that's my favorite brand!
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maryhannold
    maryhannold Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have started substituting coconut oil for other oils in my cooking...although I I use very little oil at all. Dr. Oz suggests using coconut oil IN PLACE of other oils you are using due to thermogenic and other health benefits.

I get my coconut oil at either Trader Joe's or Sprouts. They have the best prices.

BUT...my favorite way to use coconut oil is Chocolate Delight! I usually make 2 batches per week. Really is a great treat!

Recipe:

1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
    1 packet Truvia (or Xylitol or pure Stevia)
    1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
    flavoring to taste (vanilla, pico de gallo seasoning,cabella drops, cayenne pepper, salt, (USE YOUR IMAGINATION!)

Melt oil in microwave (be careful, low melting point). Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into candy molds or pour onto a cookie sheet or plastic coated paper plate (Dixie is good). Place in freezer for 5 min. and ENJOY! Yummmmmmmm!

My husband has a skin condition...due to the posts I have read here, I will do a test section. Maybe we can get off the expensive (and hard to find) gel we are using now!
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-fat-burning-fat-the-coconut-is-natures-premiere-thermogenic.html

" The U.S. Food and Drug and Administration and the World Health Organization, among many other high-profile agencies, advise against the consumption of large amounts of coconut oil due to its high saturated fat content. However, it must be noted that the studies criticizing coconut oil were focused on the hydrogenated, refined oil, not on virgin coconut oil. The truth is that virgin coconut oil isn't just a different coconut oil—it's pretty much deserving of its own category among oils and fats altogether....

Virgin coconut oil contains a range of healthy saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats. Some of these, like oleic acid and linoleic acid, are renowned for their beneficial health properties. However, since more than 60 percent of the fats in virgin coconut oil are saturated fats, its appeal clearly hinges on them.

The primary medium-chain fat in virgin coconut oil is lauric acid, a saturated fatty acid made of 12 carbons. Lauric acid is not common in nature, being found in human breast milk, palm kernel oil (which is not palm oil; big difference!), and in trace amounts in some animal milks. In virgin coconut oil, it makes up half of the fatty acids.

Lauric acid is a potent antimicrobial agent, but its effect on cholesterol levels garner even bigger headlines. This medium-chain fatty acid is known to increase total cholesterol levels in the body. This increase, however, is largely in the so-called good cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL). By increasing HDL levels, lauric acid may help support cardiovascular health. Lauric acid content is another area where the difference between refined and raw coconut oil is clear. During processing, coconut oil is stripped of its lauric acid, because this fatty acid is an important ingredient in many soaps and cosmetics. So go virgin or go home. "

Thank you for posting this excellent response to a very uninformed (dare I say ignorant?) previous response!!!

^^This
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I just eat a teaspoon of it when my fat intake is low for the day. It's easier now summer is here because it's currently liquid.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    great for cooking, making chocolate, body and hair moisturizer, amazing lube....
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Skin and hair, I am currently using Trader Joes Unrefined Virgin Organic. My wild and crazy hair loves it!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

Seems weird that the author didn't get close to the correct amount of saturated fat found in coconut oil. While they did say over 60% it's actually 92% which makes the monounsaturated and polyunsatured very small players in his analogy, especially when you consider coconut oil doesn't have polyunsaturated fats.........agenda me thinks. Also I don't know what they mean by lauric acid is not common in nature.............the populations of the tropics have been using coconut oil for millennium.